Shiny barrels

BERT

Couldnt you use something like No-Mar tape. Just a guess but im sure it a available in plain as as well camo. The beuty of it, it comes off leaving get this, no marks. Maybe worth a go. Otherwise you could be a bit more extreme and spray the top of the barrels with a Matt finish laquer.

as lurcherboy correctly states buy a gun sock, i was having the same problem so went out got a gun sock few cuts with the old scissors and bingo great fit. i also got a barrell sock whick is made of neoprine goes over the barrell only but not tried it yer but it looks great cost £4.00 from garlands

cheers shawn

It depends on your gun matey, and if its an old one with a low value, then I'd be tempted to spray it with matt paint, but only use the really good stuff. I can recommend the stuff you get from motor spares shops used to paint manifolds (ultra high temp stuff) which does'nt let rust through and is really tough.

If its a newish or decent gun then you don't want to do this as it will negatively affect its value, and a gun sock is one option. A strip of low adhesive black masking tape either side will also do the trip and does require you to wrap it all the way round.

If you really want to adventurous and have a few quid spare then you could always have it 'real tree'd'

Bert,

How do you know you've got a problem, has your best friend told you..?? :lol:

I always keep the gun barrels down behind the hide netting until the very last moment, then move, mount, shoot.

If the bird can see the barrels glinting, then it's already too late, as it's well within range.

Cat.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been very nervous of fitting any sort of semi permanent covering on my gun barrels.

About 25 years ago, it was popular among my wildfowling friends to fit a "plastic" cammo'ed sleeve over the barrels and heat shrink it on and in fact I think one of them got hold of a job lot of the stuff and supplied us all.

I didn't go on the foreshore enough to bother doing it and was pleased I hadn't when they started reporting rusted barrels where moisture had penetrated under the wrap.

I don't remember any lasting damage being caused, but it did require some extensive and prolonged cleaning.