So what do we all do other than shooting.

Sprackles

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The usual student stuff, shooting whenever possible(obviously) ocassionally fishing in the summer and gaming, trying to teach myself guitar badly, and watching wildlife and voulunteering at a WWT centre every week. Im hoping to get into photography soon but cameras are expensive and i have spent a lot of money on learning to drive and also need to buy a car and get it insured 1st.

As and when time allows I go rock climbing/mountaineering, bit of everything from scrambling to ice climbing. Although free time right now is rarer than hens' teeth because I'm just coming to the end of working towards my PhD in chemistry...which I definately don't class as a hobby.

My other real passion other than shooting is martial arts which is handy as my shooting buddy also trains/teaches at the same club, been training/teaching for most of my adult life, also have an old school GSXR 750M slingshot (motorbike) but number one is my 2yr old daughter born new years day...

I looked at Sprackles aerobatics with envy - used to teach people how to do that. Got into flying as an Army Air Corps Sergeant pilot. Flew for 42 years, ended up as a Senior Training Captain with KLM. Over 20,000 hours in my log book - that equates to two and a quarter years up in the air. Then some ministry bloke cancels your licence on the eve of your 65th birthday. Could still fly small stuff in the private world but reckoned that I had enjoyed all those years without bending one so quit while I was ahead. Became a part-time keeper instead and now teach pheasants to fly. They get the hang of that OK but there navigation is no good!

Also now Chairman of local Royal British Legion. Raised £8000 last year - not bad for a rural area. Also a welfare caseworker for same.

What annoys me more than anything is blokes who say they get bored in retirement. If you want to lay on a ruddy great yacht in St Somewhere, then you need a lot of money. Pigeon shooting, bird-watching, fowling, RBL - they don't cost much and it gives you a reason to get out of bed in the morning. 5 dogs and a super wife helps too.

If I'm not shooting I'm cycling to my shoot, working or spending as much time with my family as possible; in the spare time that's left I build pc's to spec, repair pc's, read, listen to music (liking a lot of 60's psych but I've been battering a fair bit of Pan Pot & other Slam techno out of late), look after the garden, birdwatch and try to put as much money away for my dream boat or looking for a Transit to convert to a traveller.

Still looking for the dream boat...... no gin palaces please.

Edited by Egg

Shooting is still my primary hobby. Still try and play the piano when I'm home, otherwise it's tinkering with the Series 2 landy, driving it around, and walking the dog.

Most of the time I'm stuck at uni learning about some crud I couldn't care less about thinking about walking the dog and shooting stuff :santa:

And drinking ale. That's always good.

Spare time. Whats that? I own a window company. Based in Bradford, If any one wants some new top quality windows and doors get in touch. Ten year guarantee, Insurance backed.

www.birkenshawwindows.co.uk. Weekends involve doing the house, shopping with the missus and shooting, Clays and rabbits.

Spare time. Whats that? I own a window company. Based in Bradford, If any one wants some new top quality windows and doors get in touch. Ten year guarantee, Insurance backed.

www.birkenshawwindows.co.uk. Weekends involve doing the house, shopping with the missus and shooting, Clays and rabbits.

I said you buy one you get one free!

Used to run my huskys, but now the ex has them as we didn't want to split the team up, she still runs them and now my daughter is old enough she runs her first rally this weekend...miss them terribly, but still have a lot of time with them.

We also have our pedigree sheep flock, which is growing and becoming very popular with local butchers and restaurants.

post-19934-1288611968.jpg

post-19934-1288612200.jpg

post-19934-1288612369.jpg

Edited by kyska