its very quiet on the pigeons

yickdaz

as title says no bag reports on talk from the field;and no pictures on sporting pictures saturday...myself included nothing to report of any significance just 13 ferals 10 woodies on friday.but all areas now round me are devoid of pigeons..but as always this time of year we have have a lull in pigeon shooting until they hit the rape so its pheasants ducks and the odd partridge for now.

They are in the woods in big numbers in my area, feeding on plenty of acorns, beechmast and berries.

I shot 4 this morning on the edge of a wood and thats all they had in their crops.

There has been very little on the drillings, but there are some large flocks forming.

yeah i shot 2 on friday with beech mast and wheat in the crops off an old stubble so as you say they can only be in the woods at the min because one area just 2 weeks ago there was around 500..and i shot 60 have now vanished.

I had a couple of paying guests out yesterday and the first field of freshly cut maize showed real promise with a load of birds (200+) on the deck across various parts of the 200 acres in the block and plenty in the air, but after 2 hrs nothing it just dried up despite me placing 3 banger ropes out around the various woods and sites they favour. So we pcaked up went to look at 4 different fields of freshly drilled wheat nothing before looping around to another 300 acres of cut maize with quite a few birds in the air, a quick shot put up several groups totaling around 500 ish pigeons, so the guys set up their kit whilst I drove around moving banger ropes and setting up new ones and hey presto we turned the day into a success with about 60 birds on the deck.

The birds are there, you just have to work them harder...

I had a couple of paying guests out yesterday and the first field of freshly cut maize showed real promise with a load of birds (200+) on the deck across various parts of the 200 acres in the block and plenty in the air, but after 2 hrs nothing it just dried up despite me placing 3 banger ropes out around the various woods and sites they favour. So we pcaked up went to look at 4 different fields of freshly drilled wheat nothing before looping around to another 300 acres of cut maize with quite a few birds in the air, a quick shot put up several groups totaling around 500 ish pigeons, so the guys set up their kit whilst I drove around moving banger ropes and setting up new ones and hey presto we turned the day into a success with about 60 birds on the deck.

The birds are there, you just have to work them harder...

found some pigeons and a lot of crows this afernoon on a cut maize field but i can;t get at em with work..

three of us went out his afternoon, got on to field by a wood about 3pm stopped till 5.30pm,

mate number 1 got 21 pigeon,

mate number 2 got 5 pigeon

and i got 5 pigeon and 3 crow.

the last one of the crow i got was crazy, my mates were waiting for me at top of field as we were going to finish, and i was packing away hide and poles, i still had four crow decoys out approx 35 yds away to my left, so i was in full view.

As i stepped out to collect empty shells 6 crow appeared out of the wood behind me and were calling to the decoys, i though oh poo! gun was back in hedge, so i thought ah go for it, kept low and quickly collected my gun then popped back out and took the nearest one to me and down it came.

I could not believe my luck that they never saw me

when i got to top of field to my mates one of them said that was some shot do you know how far out you took that down?

i said no, just took the shot.

mate said that was some shot, aleast 40 yds out and same amount skywards

I was quite chuffed he said that as i had been missing loads of high fast pigeon and he had bagged 21 and no crow

They have been building up in numbers round here taking advantage of the late or dragged out harvest,till this week when we never had one shot over the drillings,it was a spooky absence. :hmm:

The birds out the back of mine on the osr only appeared for a couple of hours :good: ,just waiting for the beet harvest now,but just secured another permission a bit further out which i visited today and there were about 500 ish on the osr,this could be because the other fields in that area are all barley so the only food is the rape,looks like it might be a good shoot. :good:

three of us went out his afternoon, got on to field by a wood about 3pm stopped till 5.30pm,

mate number 1 got 21 pigeon,

mate number 2 got 5 pigeon

and i got 5 pigeon and 3 crow.

the last one of the crow i got was crazy, my mates were waiting for me at top of field as we were going to finish, and i was packing away hide and poles, i still had four crow decoys out approx 35 yds away to my left, so i was in full view.

As i stepped out to collect empty shells 6 crow appeared out of the wood behind me and were calling to the decoys, i though oh poo! gun was back in hedge, so i thought ah go for it, kept low and quickly collected my gun then popped back out and took the nearest one to me and down it came.

I could not believe my luck that they never saw me

when i got to top of field to my mates one of them said that was some shot do you know how far out you took that down?

i said no, just took the shot.

mate said that was some shot, aleast 40 yds out and same amount skywards

I was quite chuffed he said that as i had been missing loads of high fast pigeon and he had bagged 21 and no crow

would of been hard for someone at top of field to judge distance of the crow you shot :hmm:

not too many pigeons in this area at the moment, will do a bit of ferreting then go back to pigeons when they hit the rape (2 small fields drilled very late will hopefully attract them!)

Got three fields of bean stubble that's been ploughed in last week but hads beans all over top of furrows and there's couple hundred birds feeding on them went for look today on the quad ,put few decoys out but they wouldn't come in no wind and mile high having a look. Shot 10 a crow and a feral. There's a field nearby with standing beans still getting hit aswell so lots of birds round here.hoping ours gets sown this week cause I think birds will still hit it for loose beans

went out today no wind bright sun shine there was a few pigeons on the last of the stubbles but not enough to warrent decoying so had a look around

and found a few hundred on rape so set up in the middle of the field(ust in case the decided to comit harry carry) .

for the fist hour they came insteadly but in no great numbers shot 25 then they just shifted fields and switched off in my field .

so i drove round the area some 25 miles and never seen any great numbers just the odd small groups on stubbles and rape .

no great numbers up here yet but the birds that are about are starting to shift to the rape

Edited by cocker3

decided to take a different route to work today (a 9mile detour) to pass a small permission to see if there was any activity on the rape yet...not a thing :lol:

but i passed a blacked over field with a good 3-400 pigeons on it :blink:

will be knocking on some doors after work to see who owns it :lol: