I hate shooting over rape!!!

turbo33

Why is it so hard to decoy birds over rape? On the assumption that winter days are shorter, more food needed to keep warm and that the pigeons want to be in a flock, why do the mostly ignore our decoys?

I have been watching a field for two days...clockwork flightlines...birds coming in from all directions in tens and twenties. So out today expecting the big one and they weren't even slightly interested. The birds that flew close just glanced over with that "oh there are a few of my mates" look, didn't "shy" away,just "Face..bovered!!" 5 hours and a complete blank :o

To tick all the boxes, I've used,just about everything in the past flocked, full bodied,shell,wirly,hyperflaps,flappers dead ones on cradles. The hides are a work of art :yes::yes:

The only conclusion I can come to is save for a prolonged covering of snow, they aren't as hungry as we think they should be and there is plenty for them to eat. Presumably spring and summer, there is less food than we think which would answer the question as to why they are so easy to decoy on laid and stubble. :hmm::hmm:

What are your thoughts.

Wouldnt it be great if someone studied pigeons by putting a locator on a few in a flock,would answer some questions,about feeding patterns and areas covered.

I am sure from watching the pigeons on the field out the back of my house that;

1,have set meal times

2,have designated eating area

3,have rest periods

4,gorge themselves

Liken it to us;

1,3 meals a day and maybe snacks

2,favourite cafe etc

3,work/rest and play

4,eat more in the winter

So i could tell you exactly what time the pigeons out the back are going to be there and where abouts and for how long,if the get put up they sit in the trees for at least half an hour watching field,whic is totally different from summer when smaller flocks are hitting the field all day with clear flight lines.

The big question for me is,where do they go when they leave this field !,do they only have two or three fields they stick to.

Was out this saturday and got 1 pigeon and rook between us,am still on the same slab of cartridges for last five weeks :o where as the summer you could do a slab a day :hmm:

There were plenty around the farm, they even decided to feed between a brace of gas guns spaced 500yds apart :hmm::hmm: The 1/2 dozen birds I shot roosting a few days ago were stuffed with rape to bursting point. I have often noticed them almost skulking in the trees during the day. I wonder if they are just stuffed from the first light feed and then aren't bothered about feeding for the rest of the day, or maybe rape is very indigestible :hmm: Hving said that, often you will shoot several with empty crops. :hmm:

I support your views Vampire, but I still don't understand why they won't decoy. I was out on maize with Bluebarrels in november last year and they were hurling themselves at his magnet with hyperflaps on. We had 68 in no time. 1 month later on a different farm there were hundreds on a bit of maize. They wouldn't decoy, not interested.So we flighted them and had some big bags. The only noticable difference was the temperature...much colder.

Edited by turbo33

You're probably in the wrong place on the field, you need to be where the pigeons want to feed, not where you want them to feed.

Also, a rotary, (or two, if you can carry them) is a must, get one with long arms and a fast spin speed, you needn't bother with static decoys, just put the dead ones out as you shoot them.

Get yourself some banger ropes, so that if they start landing at the other end of the field, you can nip down there and put one out to keep them moving.

Winter rape shooting can be very hard work, I shot 118 today, they came in pretty well, you've got to think like a pigeon to get a decent bag. :yes:

Cat.

i think you are right they do seem to feed longer in the mornings perhaps thats why they do not feed later in the day but on the way home did see hell of a lot feeding on the berries i think cus its got a bit milder they are having a go back on the berries till will get the cold snap again to push them back on the rape

You're probably in the wrong place on the field, you need to be where the pigeons want to feed, not where you want them to feed.

Also, a rotary, (or two, if you can carry them) is a must, get one with long arms and a fast spin speed, you needn't bother with static decoys, just put the dead ones out as you shoot them.

Get yourself some banger ropes, so that if they start landing at the other end of the field, you can nip down there and put one out to keep them moving.

Winter rape shooting can be very hard work, I shot 118 today, they came in pretty well, you've got to think like a pigeon to get a decent bag. :yes:

Cat.

Nice result Cat, well done :good: My next plan was along those lines. Forget the decoys and just use some dead birds on flappers and maybe the rotary too. The birds do seem to be triggered by another landing. :good:

Cat.

100% agree :good:

I have found if you do start off with decoys, then you will need at least 50 to even get the birds interested :yes:

Lets face it we have all got alot to learn from the humble woodie .

Having said that if it was easy ever day and shooting a ton ever time I think it would soon loss its intrest to us all.

I have shot woodies that have been sucidal on OSR there has never been any fixed pattern in weather timing etc.

There are just like us if there in the mood for dancing nowt will stop them feeding.

Wind is the key to good bags not too strong but stiff enough to push them out of there sitty woods.

Cheers OTH

When Farmers started Growing rape back in the 70,s and pigeons found it they would often sit on a field for weeks at a time during the Winter months when they all flocked up into big flocks of birds.

These days Flocks are more numerous but contain smaller numbers by comparison say 100 200 birds rather than the 1500 plus when I started decoying over rape 40 years ago.

There is so much being grown now in such large acreages that the birds are spoiled for choice and have quickly learned that if something isnt right in their chosen feeding patch they will be off quickly to another. The main Farm I shoot on grows 1500 acres and on the adjoing farms 500, 750 acres etc. Looking at Wilts, Glos, Somerset, Oxon, Worcs and Warwicks from the air last May it was just one big sea of yellow merging into another in the neighbouring county. Decoying on rape is now very difficult not just for us part timers but also for the professionals with big bags the exception rather than the norm.

Only yesterday I put up some decoys in an area of rape next to an active roost where pigeons had been feeding for a least 2 weeks before, the rape leaves were all trimmed off by the birds. I had 12 birds all at once to the decoys straight away ( shot 1) followed by three ( shot 1) followed by 2 (Shot 1) and then for 3 1/2 hours not a bloody sausage. There were loads of smaller flocks of birds coming off of rape fields here there and everywhere but they were just not interested in the patch whre I set up. Today, driving past the field, they were all out there again.

One or two shots and they are gone and thats the way it is on rape generally these days.

Frustrating

When Farmers started Growing rape back in the 70,s and pigeons found it they would often sit on a field for weeks at a time during the Winter months when they all flocked up into big flocks of birds.

These days Flocks are more numerous but contain smaller numbers by comparison say 100 200 birds rather than the 1500 plus when I started decoying over rape 40 years ago.

There is so much being grown now in such large acreages that the birds are spoiled for choice and have quickly learned that if something isnt right in their chosen feeding patch they will be off quickly to another. The main Farm I shoot on grows 1500 acres and on the adjoing farms 500, 750 acres etc. Looking at Wilts, Glos, Somerset, Oxon, Worcs and Warwicks from the air last May it was just one big sea of yellow merging into another in the neighbouring county. Decoying on rape is now very difficult not just for us part timers but also for the professionals with big bags the exception rather than the norm.

Only yesterday I put up some decoys in an area of rape next to an active roost where pigeons had been feeding for a least 2 weeks before, the rape leaves were all trimmed off by the birds. I had 12 birds all at once to the decoys straight away ( shot 1) followed by three ( shot 1) followed by 2 (Shot 1) and then for 3 1/2 hours not a bloody sausage. There were loads of smaller flocks of birds coming off of rape fields here there and everywhere but they were just not interested in the patch whre I set up. Today, driving past the field, they were all out there again.

One or two shots and they are gone and thats the way it is on rape generally these days.

Frustrating

Why is it so hard to decoy birds over rape? On the assumption that winter days are shorter, more food needed to keep warm and that the pigeons want to be in a flock, why do the mostly ignore our decoys?

I have been watching a field for two days...clockwork flightlines...birds coming in from all directions in tens and twenties. So out today expecting the big one and they weren't even slightly interested. The birds that flew close just glanced over with that "oh there are a few of my mates" look, didn't "shy" away,just "Face..bovered!!" 5 hours and a complete blank :o

To tick all the boxes, I've used,just about everything in the past flocked, full bodied,shell,wirly,hyperflaps,flappers dead ones on cradles. The hides are a work of art :yes::yes:

The only conclusion I can come to is save for a prolonged covering of snow, they aren't as hungry as we think they should be and there is plenty for them to eat. Presumably spring and summer, there is less food than we think which would answer the question as to why they are so easy to decoy on laid and stubble. :hmm::hmm:

What are your thoughts.

did the same with me last sat around 300 feeding walked them off;they started coming back so set up.some came round to have a look flew within 60 yards just coming into shot and slid off on the wind over the road to rape fields over there..i managed 2 birds in an hour then packed up knowing it wasn;t going to happen. don;t know about everyone else but if i;m not getting any action after an hour i always pack in any weather and any time of the year.

Yes, it's that time of year. Walked off about thirty with many more in the trees nearby. After five minutes I had two for two shots and two hours later it was the same score :/

Even the duck are contrary. I went to the ponds to chuck some feed out at 3:45pm and put about twenty up, managing just one drake with two shots. Waited until well after dark and never saw another.

same again today hundreds about on rape but came across a lot on old stubbles next to rape.so i shot over the stubble today but the rape is 2 fields over and i don;t have permission on it someone pays for the rent of the land;and i couldn;t keep them off it and out of a massive wood bordering it.

Cat.

i did think like a pigeon and i was bloody knacked by the time i got up to the top of nelsons column.. :lol:

Went out with my son yesterday, very cold very little wind, we did however have some sport walked around the rape fields to get under the flight lines we moved around and we had some good sport, nice slow and sometimes high birds, you need to know the flight lines no need for us to decoy.

We had 45 picked and around 15 or so that went into ditches etc.

Went out with my son yesterday, very cold very little wind, we did however have some sport walked around the rape fields to get under the flight lines we moved around and we had some good sport, nice slow and sometimes high birds, you need to know the flight lines no need for us to decoy.

We had 45 picked and around 15 or so that went into ditches etc.

Well done thats a decent bag any where near rape :good::lol: Seems a better and more productive way than decoying :yes: