Favourite loads

tomaddy525

Rio target 28 gr loads for decoying are very good. Light on the recoil so you can fire a couple of hundred without any problems , light on the pocket and a good killing shell. I step up to 32 gr Rio game loads for roost shooting as a heavy load pays off at long range. In reality I find very little difference in the killing power of most shells steel or lead and my choice is mainly govened by recoil and price.

The one exception to this are recent loads of Express steel\ Supream steel ( I liked the old loads ) which if they managed to expell the pellets from the barrel and some dont , have very poor killing power.

A fibre load too I assume.

What kind of chokes do you use with them and what ranges do they hold a pattern to :hmm:

Plastic wad.

Use Winchester signature extended chokes (manufactured by Briley), I use 1/2 for everything bar roosting and flighting, then I use 3/4 or full. Iv never patterned these cartridges, so I dont know. What I do know is they do kill very well at longer ranges.

Although its only a 28g load, its shifting at 1500fps, Iv killed some good high pigeons and pheasants with them :yes:

Edited by chrispti

Plastic wad.

Use Winchester signature extended chokes (manufactured by Briley), I use 1/2 for everything bar roosting and flighting, then I use 3/4 or full. Iv never patterned these cartridges, so I dont know. What I do know is they do kill very well at longer ranges.

Although its only a 28g load, its shifting at 1500fps, Iv killed some good high pigeons and pheasants with them :yes:

I'm kind of going the other way with 32grams of 7s right now and quarter choke. That seems to give me a wall of shot at any range that I would normally shoot at (sub 40yards)but with a good spread too. Never really been one for ultra long range anyway at the expense of the closer stuff. If it carries on working well I may even go down to skeet choke for decoying.

I'm kind of going the other way with 32grams of 7s right now and quarter choke. That seems to give me a wall of shot at any range that I would normally shoot at (sub 40yards)but with a good spread too. Never really been one for ultra long range anyway at the expense of the closer stuff. If it carries on working well I may even go down to skeet choke for decoying.

Thats it mate, use what ever suits you as long as it does the job :good:

IMHO I don't think it matters much. If your aim is good they'll all bring down pigeon.

I think maybe too much thought and blame is put on cartridges, and chokes too, come to think of it.

Just ask George Digweed.

As long as it fits in the chamber, I'll use it for pigeon. It's as simple as that.

Although I do tend to use fibre wads, but thats only to be a bit greener.

IMHO I don't think it matters much. If your aim is good they'll all bring down pigeon.

I think maybe too much thought and blame is put on cartridges, and chokes too, come to think of it.

Just ask George Digweed.

Well he uses a 32" barreled Perazzi choked full and full and uses 34g #5's on the pigeons.

I would like to see anyone kill a 45yrd pigeon with a #7 size shot using open chokes.

Ok for decoying & close birds :good:

Well he uses a 32" barreled Perazzi choked full and full and uses 34g #5's on the pigeons.

I would like to see anyone kill a 45yrd pigeon with a #7 size shot using open chokes.

Ok for decoying & close birds :good:

Problem with that is if you've set yourself up for extreme range shots you will just be making it harder for all the closer shots where most of the birds present themselves. Your shot size, choke etc can only be optimised for one range and everything else is a compromise.

I need all the help I can get and aren't ashamed to admit it, if it was easy I would have given up ages ago so I keep ranges sensible and chokes more open. 1/4 for 7s and 1/2 for 6s seems to be about right in my guns :good:

Problem with that is if you've set yourself up for extreme range shots you will just be making it harder for all the closer shots where most of the birds present themselves. Your shot size, choke etc can only be optimised for one range and everything else is a compromise.

You are dead right mate :yes:

If you get the balance right then your chosen load will work :good:

Set up for close birds, then stick to shooting close birds.

If your set up for shooting longer birds (and you are capable) then stick to longer birds. Place the decoys further out to reduce the amount of close birds, even if you are good enough to hit them close with a tight choke and heavier load, there wont be anything left worth eating :lol:

i've just started out, and am using 32g no.6's. I dont mind recoil, even after a few boxes, but have yet to experiment with a few different shells and find what i like. A side question, i was asking in the shop about steel loads, and asked if they had any in fibre wad, for shooting over the stream by me. A guy next to me said that a fibre wad with steel load would blow the barrells. I didnt really believe this, but is the steel/fibre shells?

Pete

i am using eley real tree 30g 6 comes as a case of 200 at £36 really good all round cartridge

quite happy to shoot every thing with them at all ranges .i have a few mates who have tryed them and wont use anything else now

well worth alook if you can get them :good: :good: :good:

• 2 weeks later...