Semi-automatic shotguns

mfletch

Semi-automatic shotguns seem to be more popular now,

In your opinion which is the best or most reliable.

Plus what is a good price to pay new or second hand.

I now use a Winchester 101 lightweight 12g but fancy a auto as a second gun

Thanks

fletch

that is a hard question. years ago back in the 70s they used to be half the price of a o/u.these days you can pay as much for a semi as a over under. i have had a few over the years remington 1100 beretta 301 and 303 and 391 urika. i would look at a beretta or a benelli. my last one was a beretta urika synthetic stock 30" barrel m/choke and it was probubly the best one i have ever had. i recon for a new model today you got to be looking at £1000.00 plus. best of luck

Winchester SX3 cycles heavy 3 1/2 " loads and 28 gram clay loads, is very fast light, steel proof, multi choke and balances well. Around £800 brand new could you wish for more? Love mine :good:

,,,,,,, Ditto Brill gun the sx3 , ive also a Beretta for sunday best though lol

Benelli every time, no gas parts to soot up. Used mine a far bit last year and was a bit lazy with the cleaning but it never missed a beat.

Seconded. I bought an old Benelli 121 for £250 last year and it runs like a sewing machine despite a distinct lack of maintainance. At that price I don't mind if it gets clagged up with clay, wet or scratched in the pigeon fields.

Benelli every time, no gas parts to soot up. Used mine a far bit last year and was a bit lazy with the cleaning but it never missed a beat.

I'm with you on that. Definitely not the cheapest, but will cycle almost anything, minimal cleaning and dead easy to adjust/ learn with. having said that, if you only have a semi, some grounds do not like you shooting where the stands are close together without a retainer, as otherwise everyone next to you is showered with your empties!

only really shot semi auto's for the last 2 years, gave up trying with my 682 :oops: had a fitting and still cant hit a barn door with it :lol:

the sx3 is a great value for money reliable auto, beretta auto's i've had have cycled faultlessley.

the only gun i've used for the last couple of months has been the benelli though.

the intertia gun is so clean when you've finished a round it really is hard to believe.

any of the above get my recomendation, whichever you go for is really down to budget, intended use, and personal preferance.

as i shoot mainly clays, if i only had 1 it would be the supersport.

if i was shooting clays and rough equally i would go with the A400.

with the sx3 its not the guy next to you that will get the empties, its the guy next to him, spent cases go for miles with that one :lol:

Edited by mickmep

I have a couple of semi auto 2 remington 1100 and a beretta urika 2 sport. The beretta is easy to clean and never missess a beat. It is so much lighter than the remingtons and they have to be clean or mine gave me real problems. The beretta will shoot any cartridge from 67mm to 76mm, were the remingtons are very cartridge picky( mine hates hulls comp X with a passion)