Picking up empties

blondie1973

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the Shoot Captain of a small local syndicate shoot. My members always pick up their cartridges after a stand.

It must be said that the only ones I have trouble with are some of the locals who are allowed to come roost shooting for pigeons after the season has finished. I then get empties left all over the woods. The owner doesn't like it and nor do I. They are getting shooting for free and still wont toe the line.

there is hardly a saturday goes by that I don't come home with at least few spents from other people. As for educating them. Well in my opinion what is there to teach? Even my toddler knows that you shouldn't through your rubbish on the ground!!!!!

I went to one of my permissions today and shot my first Woodie with a shotgun today :yahoo:

There are a 2 or 3 other chaps that shoot there too lately - old friends of the farmer which on 250 acres can be a bit of a bind.

I noticed lots of spent cartridges littering the place, especially along the hedgerows. :mad:

My carts are different to all of theirs, so I'll make sure I find a discreet way to show Nigel my distinctive carts.

How hard can it be? Pocket or bag really :hmm:

I can understand with a semi it may not be possable to pick up every cartridge, as they seam to eject them right out of sight. But to just litter the hedge rows with cartridges is not fair to the farmers, espesially if they then put live stock on the field at a latter date.

Nothing wrong with taking a bag to put the empties in and dispose of them correctly. It must give the shooters a bad name and its a wonder the farmer does not remove the shooters permision to shoot on the land.

I can understand with a semi it may not be possable to pick up every cartridge, as they seam to eject them right out of sight. But to just litter the hedge rows with cartridges is not fair to the farmers, espesially if they then put live stock on the field at a latter date.

Nothing wrong with taking a bag to put the empties in and dispose of them correctly. It must give the shooters a bad name and its a wonder the farmer does not remove the shooters permision to shoot on the land.

In this case there is no excuse, the empties aren't even obscured by long grass but are plainly visible to all.

I think they put too much emphasis that they are old friends of the farmer. Personally, if it were my land, there would be one warning only.

Duncan

In this case there is no excuse, the empties aren't even obscured by long grass but are plainly visible to all.

I think they put too much emphasis that they are old friends of the farmer. Personally, if it were my land, there would be one warning only.

Duncan

Have to agree, one warning only. if it was my land I think it would be written on the permission letter. I live in a rural area, although I have not tried to get permission to shoot on farms as I only shoot clays, there are plenty of shooters who woud be prepared to shoot on the land and tidy up after them selves.

Always pick mine up and others if found even spent 2 hours one Sunday cleaning up a little woods full of old cartridges

Those extend able magnets are perfect for getting cartridges from hedges

Farmer moaning about carts and rubbish

My mate works for the farmer and one day there was someone shooting in the field so when they had gone he drove over and as suspected there was crisp packets cartridges coke cans and a some plastic wrappers,

He told the farmer and now there gone.

I share a shoot with 15 other guys. I always pick up my empties (and useing an auto thats not always easy) but walking around it looks like a complete tip. Empties everywhere and i mean everywhere.

One spot I walked across Sunday is a small hill with a grass flat top, not only was there about 50 empties on the floor but about the same amount of plaswads.

i walked around in and despair but also confused as I could not work out how, so many splaswads could end up in the same small area.

I share a shoot with 15 other guys. I always pick up my empties (and useing an auto thats not always easy) but walking around it looks like a complete tip. Empties everywhere and i mean everywhere.

One spot I walked across Sunday is a small hill with a grass flat top, not only was there about 50 empties on the floor but about the same amount of plaswads.

i walked around in and despair but also confused as I could not work out how, so many splaswads could end up in the same small area.

Maybe they had a clay shoot, that would explain the plaswads all being in a small area??

Nearly all the land owners on my permissions have stated strictly that they want any empty carts picked up an taken away.

Iv always practiced picking them up to the best of my abilty. Not saying iv not ever left the odd one or two in an hedge some where

about on the farm, but one or 2 on the very rare occassion is a far cry from empties strewn all over the place. I think it just shows a little bit of respect for the land an the people who own it. I know for a fact if they had been on any of my permissions, they most certainly

have been asked to go an never come back. Which in IMHO should be the right attitude to have with those types of shooters.

DD

Nearly all the land owners on my permissions have stated strictly that they want any empty carts picked up an taken away.

Iv always practiced picking them up to the best of my abilty. Not saying iv not ever left the odd one or two in an hedge some where

about on the farm, but one or 2 on the very rare occassion is a far cry from empties strewn all over the place. I think it just shows a little bit of respect for the land an the people who own it. I know for a fact if they had been on any of my permissions, they most certainly

have been asked to go an never come back. Which in IMHO should be the right attitude to have with those types of shooters.

DD