Picking up empties

blondie1973

Hi All,

Does anyone else suffer with this problem,

I shoot over a fairly large farm in the medway area of kent and the farmer lets a couple of local lads shoot (although by all accounts they just want to let rip with a gun) last week i popped up for my usual visit only to find aprox 50-60 empty cartridge cases in the gateways, i have a good relationship with the farmer (he's my wife's uncle) and im always consious of picking all rubbish up and using the correct cartridges (the empties i found were plastic wad 9's skeet cartriges) seems all they are doing is scaring the birds and making a mess.

steve

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rather than slating them, why not meet up, and try to educate them on being a better shooter

i do agree with educating them about cartridge choice and sportsmanship etc.,But surely they dont need to be educated in how not to be slobs and throw cartridges all over the place its people like that who give shooters a bad name theres no excuse for leaving shells lying around its just pure lazyness!

I don't shoot in the field, but you see plenty of these ****heads at the clay ground - usually arrogant t***s, with comments like "Thats what the ground are paid for" or "that's the trapper's job". ********* - idiots(thanks for the censorship, mods - sorry for the bad language :innocent: ) the lot of them, it is just simple good manners, they wouldn't like it if they slipped on a dumped shell and bounced their gun on the stand, or even worse, someone got hurt. I usually shoot an O/U and it is easy to catch the shells and bin/pocket them, my mate shoots a semi-auto and he got a basic telescopic magnetic pick-up tool from fleabay for about £2, he picks up his empties when I take my turn, we lose about 2 minutes over a mornings practice.

I know it is different when there is a competition on and the ground staff pick up the empties to keep the squads moving, but on practice days - no excuse ! Sorry for the rant, but I have walking problems and a concrete stand littered with empties is like a skating rink :angry: .

Edited by Bloke

I went on a blokes permission with him about 2 months ago.we got through about 50 carts,while packing up I collected them all and carried on putting my stuff away,i went for the empties and he'd chucked them over a hedge,we had words and he got the butt with me 'cos i picked them out again,he didn't get it?bit of a pain as he hasn't invited me on his land since :blush:

Just as bad as throwing rubbish out of a car window IMO.

If you are given access to the countryside to shoot, then picking up a few empty shells is the very least you can do.

That said, the only thing I really, really hate about my Semi-Auto is the way it throws the things around the place - my O/U is easy, the Semi makes the end of the day a real hunt - Ive now started using red or white shells in the semi to make picking up after easier!

Funny, I was only moaning about this yesterday. The guys that shoot on my dad's land chuck their empties over the fence or into the hedge. Only 15yds away from their usual dumping spot is a big bonfire/rubbish heap. I don't get it... :hmm:

Shame they don't make paper carts anymore

I have never understood the complete cocks at clay grounds who eject their shells all over the place when standing next to the bin, usually hopeless shots and loud mouthed

doc

Like Cranfield said

Its not a question of education, unless you know how to change someone's genes.

Just look at the grandparents, parents and siblings. You'll normally see a similar behaviour trait. Like begats like. IMO

I have an extenable magnet picker up jobby....It only takes a matter of minutes to pick up the empties, take em home and stick them in the wheelie bin. All we leave behind on our permissions is footprints.

Me too, although last time I did leave an impressively sized dump.