hugh's fish FIGHT!!!!!

aka_t50

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine very little of those fish would go to waste. There's always something out there that would make use of it. Just means more to eat for some other sea creatures. The only downside I can see is the waste of food for human consumption. Food that could very easily be given to third world countries

for once a realisation that its not the fishermen to blame,gone on for years fish that cant be landed get dumped, you used to be able to buy some before the boats docked but that was stopped, so its all over the side for the non targetted fish.

KW

Edited by kdubya

I actually could not believe the amount of fish that was being dumped, can you imagine if you were angling on the shore and someone caught and killed a fish and then just threw it back into the sea...i thik he would end up in there with it, and then you watch something like this where all this fish is just being dumped due to some stupid EU law,all i can say is unbelievable......

This law needs changing quickly

How about any dumping is made illegal. There is a maximum tonnage applied to each existing vessel for it's catch.

The Market gets what is caught and pays accordingly. I'm sure values will balance out and we will all need to learn to eat what's avalable. It may be radical and the Findus boys etc may not like it but the dumping stops.

I'm not totally convinced that fishermen would not over fish if they could there are a few examples out there! Tuna, swordfish, East coast Herring ?

What I do know is my beach fishing should be called crab feeding. I did years ago catch the odd fish.

Whatever something needs to change.

Been there, done it, got the T-shirt. Sold up because of all the regs.

Ok, not a trawlerman, was a potter, liner and netter, single handed. When you got a cod quota of 50kg a month, sometimes none at all, I could get that in my pots as a bycatch, never mind the rest. The only thing that kept me going to the end was potting.

In winter, I might as well laid up for 3-4 months and signed on, but no, stuck with it for the pots.

The common fishing policy is a blggdy farce, expertly patrolled by uk fishery vessels, which the foreigners don't give a shjt about, just another guideline to be broken, landing undersized and overcaught fish back in their home ports.

Just hope for the lads still doing it, that HFW knocks to blggdy sense into the public and we get a countrywide outrage on the stuff that really happens out there :good:

It was good to see Mackerel served up, most people don't know what they're missing :rolleyes: Pollock and Coley are great substitutes for cod, give em a try :good:

wy11 its stories like yours that really annoy me honest working men trying to make a living with buricrats in the EU making up the rules something must change and fast we have some great fish stocks off our shores and if this continues it will only end in us having to import most off our fish from half way across the world! we all like to eat the fish so its about time we thought were it comes from and start supporting the men and women that work day and night to catch it for us. keep up the support thanks TIM

wy11 its stories like yours that really annoy me honest working men trying to make a living with buricrats in the EU making up the rules something must change and fast we have some great fish stocks off our shores and if this continues it will only end in us having to import most off our fish from half way across the world! we all like to eat the fish so its about time we thought were it comes from and start supporting the men and women that work day and night to catch it for us. keep up the support thanks TIM

This is the point entirely - That these things age governed by EU Beuroctaric Idiocy. These "rules" are made up by EU Governors who often have very little or no understanding of the real world - I would wonder how many if any of them have even bothered to go out on a trawler to see what goes on and how the fish are caught and landed. When are they going to realise that once fish are caught (in a legal sized trawl net) the majority of them will be dead by the time the net is hauled therefore throwing back (Discarding) any fish that do not meet these often ludicrous EU Sizes/Descriptions/Regulations is a total waste of perfectly good food that could be consumed by people rather than just wasting it by throwing it back into the sea where it does.

I personally would be more than happy to have some of those "discraded fish" served to me for a very tasty and healthy meal!

Me and the missus watched it last night and it's still on my mind now, absolute disgrace what they were throwing away. They probably throw away more than I will catch in my life time in one day, and some of those fish were huge !!! It needs to be stopped it REALY does. Could we not start some kind of pigeon watch campain to run in conjunction with HFW.?

Edited by mpk

There has to be a compromise somewhere,the EU only see what is writen on a piece of paper,the trawlerman actually sees whats in the net,they have what I think is a reasonable solution i.e. limit the number of days at sea,and land all your catch.One of the posts suggests we would eat whats available?Of course we would,the only reason people buy cod or haddock is because thats what they have always bought and never even heard of or tasted the others like ling and coley.It's time this moral crime stopped

john

Brilliant program and i can comment from a different angle.

I was a fisherman from Grimsby...first trip was to Iceland way back in the 70's as a pleasure tripper aged just 13.

I have been deep water side trawling, stern trawling, inshore potting, lining and gill netting.

When i first started, the common fisheries policy was in its infancy but still hated...after all, we, the UK have over 60% of "common" waters but were allowed only 10% of the catch.

At that time, quotas didnt bite too hard and we kept what we caught.

As time progressed and quotas started to bite, we had the option of selecting the best and dumping the rest as we only got paid a share of the value of the catch...if the ships expenses were greater than the catch..we also shared the debt...yep, 2 weeks at sea and we sometimes owed the company money...good job eh!. What it meant was that if we got £80 a box for medium cod and £60 a box for small cod and we were allowed 100 boxes, we made sure those 100 boxes were of the highest value fish.

As qoutas bit ever harder, you saw the start of what you saw last night, small amounts at first but as total bans on say cod came on in a given area, you could not tell your nets to only catch haddock and whiting and ignore the cod and so the senseless killing began.

many fishermen found this too much to take and took decommisioning grants which meant the government took your boat and quota for a set amount of money and destroyed it. no redundancy for the crews either...i came back one winters morning after a short trip in horrendoud weather to be met at the dockside by the owner and told.."thats it lads, the boats gone"

The qouta was gone and was not reallocated.

Another aspect which was major news years ago but has now slipped from public view is flag boats...vessels owned by other states and crewed by other states but fishing on a british registration and taking british quota to be landed in other states.

principal villains in this were intitially the Spanish and latterly the Dutch who bought up british Plaice quoatas.

Initially, these flag boats had to have a percentage of british crews and for a time, gave work to displaced british fishermen...again, I was one of them, fishing on a british boat flagged out of Milford haven but sending all of our catch to spain.

Later, the boats didnt even bother to dock on the UK and I found myself again on a Milford registered boat but fishing out of Vigo in Spain.

Once we didnt have to land in the UK, sizes and qoutas went by the by with undersized fish and misreporting species and amounts the norm.

We protested and got sacked for our pains.

later the rules were challenged by the Dutch and Spanish who argued that under the common fisheries policy, as long as a vessel was crewed by EU nationals then it didnt matter what nationality they were.

Surprise surprise, they won and now we have UK boats without a single UK fisherman on them taking our fish to sell abroad, contributing nothing to our economy and robbing us of our jobs and fish.

My brothers also fishermen, had thier own boat but it got to the point where the qouta they were allocated was insufficient to cover the expenses of trying to catch it.

They sold up...put out of business by the common fisheries policy.

Scream loud lads because history has shown although the public supports the fishermen, the politicians don't.

Hopefully now people like HFW are getting involved, this might change.

One last thing...Norway has been operating a No Discards rule for some time now...opting to also stay away from the EU.....guess who has plenty of fish left.

Edited by Sprackles

Have yet to read some of the more detailed posts (and I will as and when I get time) but I have signed up as it is a total disgrace that we treat the oceans this way (and not just the oceans). I recorded it to watch tonight but I can guess at the content.

The trouble with with the EU quotas is they don't seem take in to account the methods trawlers use to indecriminately catch fish. If you're going to use a bloody great net to scrape up all and sundry from the bottom of the ocean bed then you're bound to get a surplus of species, whether you're over the quota or the fish are under sized. To my mind, it's no use blaming the regulations and quotas if the method you are using is indescriminate to what species & sizes you want to catch. It's pointless fixing the blame when you're not fixing the problem.

To draw a parallel, it would be like organising a shoot where all the shooters were lined up, blindfolded, and told to blast away indecriminately while a line of people walked shoulder to shoulder flushing out all species of bird and animal. Sure, you're gonna end up with right old mixed bag. Some game birds, some song birds, some rare speacies, some too small to eat, maybe even the odd mouse or fox or even the odd beater. My point is that the method doesn't suit the regulations which dictate what the fishermen are allowed to catch/keep. If the target catch is to be maximised then the method needs to change to compensate for this.

Doc, your logic is good but unfortunately the targeting of a specific species is extremely difficult whatever the method.

There will always be some sort of by-catch.

When I was long lining for dogfish, a very specific method targeting a single type by using certain baits and fishing in specific areas, although the main catch was indeed dogfish...there was also gurnard, cod, pouting, whiting, dab, plaice and skate caught. Not in large numbers but still caught.

An environmentally sound method of fishing but if a fish has swallowed the hook rather than being lip hooked, it will be dead....there is no way to be species specific other than perhaps purse seining for mackeral and herring which are both sustainable fisheries at present.