Red Kites

Spaniel

I had to go to Newbury this morning for a meeting and on the way back

we spotted 3 Red Kites gently flying around a field.

What a lovely site to see, magnificent birds to watch and something i have not seen for a little while now.

Anyone else spotted any of late

I went rabbit shooting near Newbury, and 2 sat in a tree watching us.

We had a couple of shot rabbits in the hide we had been provided, as soon as we were 10 or 15 yards away from the hide they swooped down for the bunnies.

There are over 150 breeding pairs within 5 miles of where I live, so yes I have seen just a few recently.

Even one or two seen regularly around Gloucestershire.

Hopefully as they spread they can become self sufficient as many of the larger breeding colonies need to be fed to maintain thier numbers.

Its hard to believe that in Medievel times they were as common scavenging in towns and cities as feral pigeons are now.

Wonderful birds. :yes:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Impressive pics at the stations!

I see them almost every time I take the dogs out, on the bridleway just outside our village 10 miles from Milton Keynes.

Its only in the last year or so though, Buzzards have been back in the area for quite a few years now too. Fewer Kestrels around though :hmm:

love the pictures - lovely bird, they started to be seen in North oxon a few yrs ago - buzzards say 15 yrs ago.

In the south oxon area Faringdon they have learnt how to 'raid' BBQ's - alot of people have lit the BBQ and left the meat out whilst going back in to fetch booze etc and the meat has gone.

My fear is they fly low and slow over people - putting them at risk.

In a way it is a problem we get them come in in numbers like that Dunkield and I don't know if you've got the same but we have next to no Kestrels or sparrowhawks they seem to just leave when the Kites are about.

They mix quite well with Buzzards and a few Sparrowhawks but we see no where near the numbers of Kestrels that we used to.

I think the problem with these re-introduction programmes is that they don't seem to be able to spread out from the introduction areas. They all stay local and consequently seem to need feeding, as we're all so clean these days that there isn't enough natural food for them, as they are scavengers and don't kill much food.

I remember when me and Beretta drove down to Hampshire for the Beretta World comp last year, there were dozens along the M40 round Stokenchurch.

The only natural Red Kites in the UK (not introduced) are the Mid-Wales population and I think they suffered from the same problem. They were brought back from extinction in Mid-Wales, but wouldn't seem to expand out from there as the population grew.

Odd ones must wander, as I've seen a couple of wing tagged ones over the years in the North-West, near Warrington, but they never seem to get established away from the introduction areas. :hmm:

Lovely birds :good:

Edited by Chard

I think the problem with these re-introduction programmes is that they don't seem to be able to spread out from the introduction areas. They all stay local and consequently seem to need feeding, as we're all so clean these days that there isn't enough natural food for them, as they are scavengers and don't kill much food.

I was about to post exactly the same thing Chard, the local ones to us were reintroduced close to Stokenchurch, they have slowly, very slowly started to spread further afield. My mate has seen one near Stockbridge and there are as Spaniel say down as far as Newbury now, but that has taken years - but the bulk of them seem to have stayed put.

So although they are still stunning to look at you can't help feeling there is an inbalance with so many concentrated into a relatively small area.

I was about to post exactly the same thing Chard, the local ones to us were reintroduced close to Stokenchurch, they have slowly, very slowly started to spread further afield. My mate has seen one near Stockbridge and there are as Spaniel say down as far as Newbury now, but that has taken years - but the bulk of them seem to have stayed put.

So although they are still stunning to look at you can't help feeling there is an inbalance with so many concentrated into a relatively small area.

Agreed. I support re-introduction programmes to help struggling species make a comeback, but I can't help feeling that this programme is becoming a bit overdone. What's going to happen if the locals stop feeding them, for instance? They wouldn't survive, at least not in anything like the numbers that there are presently. I can't help thinking it would have been better to feed the few original introduced pairs for a while to encourage them to stay and breed, but then phase out the feeding, to see if it encouraged them to spread out quicker.. Dunno, I'm sure the RSPB must know what they're doing :lol::hmm::rolleyes: