Sharm el Sheik .

vole

Supposed to be off to Sharm on 13th Feb but cant believe all the things that have happened since booking it . It is not a stable place but this is just bad bloody luck for them to have a revolution after he has been in power for 30 years .Plus the bomb over New Year killing 21 in Alexandria . The sharks are just being sharks so no blame on them .

I feel Egypt is going to be strictly off limits despite the Red Sea being open to travel at the moment and I anticipate an alternative holiday being offered which suits me . I do not want to take the girls into a war zone .

Anyone got any insight or ideas into how things are going to go in Egypt ? Settle down/ kick off big style / Islamic nutters seize power ?

Edited by vole

Would imagine you will be OK. Sharm is 8 hours frive from Cairo. They are mad at the government, not at western tourists. Did you see the army on the news thins morning? All having their pics taken with the protesters :lol: Not even the army at bothered about whats going on. :good:

i thought to travel warnings were for upper nile travel and cairo to alexandria,we were given warnings in 97 1 week prior to the the masacre in luxor,they take safety very serious in egypt,every western hotel will have police security,and travel should be in convoy with armed lead and tale end charlie,but talking to some one today who goes tomarrow and they have dipped out,

Would imagine you will be OK. Sharm is 8 hours frive from Cairo. They are mad at the government, not at western tourists. Did you see the army on the news thins morning? All having their pics taken with the protesters :lol: Not even the army at bothered about whats going on. :good:

you may just imagine wrong, it may be a long way from cairo (done the trip) but you forget the arabs are already there!

this gives an indication its getting a little hot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12317196

I'm in the same boat. Meant to be going to Sharm but don't fancy it as things stand. I don't think I have ever watched as much news as I have over the last few days.

Have a peep at this . Why do the FO not just pull the plug on travel there now rather than when you are sat on the beach with a beer ? I have been desperate to get away but the Mrs is a nervous traveller at the best of times . I might end up going on my own .

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1406759_egypt_terror_returning_holidaymakers_tell_of_protest_violence_in_sharm_elsheikh

I thought mubarak had gone to sharm to hide out? My mate got back from diving in sharm yesterday. Said the atmos. Is horrible. Checkpoints everywhere, no leaving resorts after dark and no trips/excursions at all. He also said that they were stopping tourists going to naama bay? On the same flight as him were a Yorkshire couple who cut their holiday short to come home.

i thought to travel warnings were for upper nile travel and cairo to alexandria,we were given warnings in 97 1 week prior to the the masacre in luxor,they take safety very serious in egypt,every western hotel will have police security,and travel should be in convoy with armed lead and tale end charlie,but talking to some one today who goes tomarrow and they have dipped out,

I went to Luxor for a couple of weeks in 2000/01 and you're right they were very hot on security with police and soliders all over the place, but from what we saw the average joe (or Ahmed) on the street is pretty relaxed and western friendly.

Had a couple of run-ins with local merchants who wanted to skin me alive for refusing to buy their overprices spices. To contrast that though also got invited to a local village up in the mountains by one of the hotel workers to meet the family and have a look at his other business selling carved stones.

With hide sight maybe taking a taxi 20 miles into the desert to a tiny impoverised mountain village may not have been the best idea but everyone we came across was very friendly. Had a great meal in someones house and an experience to remember.

I don't think it matters which country you're in or go to there are nut jobs all over. I enjoyed the visit to Egypt, glad I went but would not go back, mainly because of the hassle with dealers rather than any fear over my own security.

Have a peep at this . Why do the FO not just pull the plug on travel there now rather than when you are sat on the beach with a beer ? I have been desperate to get away but the Mrs is a nervous traveller at the best of times . I might end up going on my own .

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1406759_egypt_terror_returning_holidaymakers_tell_of_protest_violence_in_sharm_elsheikh

Well that link did it for me. Just got back from the travel agent (robbing b@st@rds) and I'm now off to the caribean instead. Cost a shed load more but better than what's on offer in Sharm at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Sharm and do not regret it at all . Could not afford to lose that much money . Apart from the squitters . Only Brits there ( not entirely a good thing ! ) but some people had got a holiday for peanuts . The dive sites were very quiet . Did Tiran only but missed out on Ras Mohammed due to the infrequency of dive trips . Apparently Hosni was holed up in the hotel next to ours . We stayed at the Sultan Gardens and the flight was full . Absolutely no unrest and glad we went . Major hassle at shops tho due to reduced tourist numbers . We avoided them which suited me . Dahab next time when I go for a proper dive trip as Sharm is becoming a bit like Benidorm . Kids loved it and the Aqua Park was a laugh .

Edited by vole

Glad to hear you had a safe and enjoyable trip, I can't believe the speed at which things are kicking off in that part of the world, and I do worry that with so much power being toppled there will be a power vacuum which could lead to much bigger problems in the future, perhaps the bloodshed has only just started, I hope not.