Black puma

On one of the areas I shoot,I saw a large black cat about the size of a Labrador dog,It was about 150-170 yards away It was defiantly a cat as I was looking at it through my scope but did not take the shot because of the legality of shooting it.I have now been asked by the land owner of the adjoining land too shoot on his land as-well as it as been seen on his land and if I see it to shoot it, been onto FEO but they don"t know and will get back to me.I have a open ticket and a .243. Any advice?

If you go into general shooting matters you'll see i asked the same question a couple of weeks ago my feo advised not to shoot it unless i get put on my open ticket :no:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince some of you guys that these big black cats actually do exist in the remote areas that both garygreengrass and myself shoot.

The problem lies with the police authorities claiming they don't exist, and therefore getting big cats on your certificate is a no.

Personally I have seen these cats many times, shooting it could result in the loss of firearm cert.

Even other remote hill farmers like myself tell us, if or when you shoot it, never mention my farm, you shot it somewhere else.

One legal source did tell me that I could only shoot it if it was going to attack me, or if it was seen killing livestock, and after shouting "shoo" it still continued killing ?.

Shooting one and selling the story is never going to happen, especially if you risk losing your certificate as we have been told.

And for your information guys I live on one of the most remote hill farms in the area.

Have big cats ever been shot in the past ?, that's for us to know and for you to ponder.

if they haven't killed anyone why would you want to shoot it - is it a macho thing ?? - Iv'e got a big rifle I have to kill something different. ??

Dave

:stupid: sorry dont see the point if it isnt doing any harm why shoot it yeh it may take the odd sheep or (deer more likly)so what its a small price to pay to have them around in the wild .**** me i would give my right nut to see one in the wild in the uk .yeh if it was a danger to people but how many people have been attacked or killed by big cat in the uk :no::no::no: but thats just my view

:stupid: sorry dont see the point if it isnt doing any harm why shoot it yeh it may take the odd sheep or (deer more likly)so what its a small price to pay to have them around in the wild .**** me i would give my right nut to see one in the wild in the uk .yeh if it was a danger to people but how many people have been attacked or killed by big cat in the uk :no::no::no: but thats just my view

have you ever shot a fox ? surely a big cat (if they exist) would do the same amount of 'harm', as for having them around the countryside ............. i for one wouldn't want to come up against one or want my dog to come up against one ........... as for the second point regarding their existence the sooner someone shoots one (either with a camera or gun) and gets the pics up the better

have you ever shot a fox ? surely a big cat (if they exist) would do the same amount of 'harm', as for having them around the countryside ............. i for one wouldn't want to come up against one or want my dog to come up against one ........... as for the second point regarding their existence the sooner someone shoots one (either with a camera or gun) and gets the pics up the better

There are lots of foxes in this country, if there are big cats in the country they will one-offs so you can't really compare them to foxes.

I would also love to see one in the flesh, but if they were breeding and causing problems they would have to go.

firstly most shoot foxes on here for game shooting reasons or poultry and lambing have you ever heard a keeper saying that ******* puma was in my pen last night and killed 500 poults

secondly the human feer factor makes them (if they are out there )want to stay away from humans(ie people never or very rearly see them ) it would only be a danger if cornered or take by suprise like any wild animal ie fox ,badger and yes it would be good to see a good photo of one :good:

(sigh) Not this one again already??

Are big cats breeding in the UK - I'd say almost definitely not :no: . The prospect of a pair of the same species finding each other in an entire county (say), being VERY seldom seen AND breeding is remote in the slightest.

Are there big cats in the wild - possibly, yes :yes: . There are people who keep larger, more exotic cats (outside of zoos etc) and depending on their Dangerous Wild Animal licence these could be anything from Asian Leopard Cats, Ocelots, Servals, to Leopards etc. Are there ever escapees? Who knows? There are strict guidelines for enclosures, but Council/Zoo Vet Inspections are only every 2 years now so plenty of time for unscrupulous breeders to hide animals or even 'lose' the odd one without anyone ever knowing! Also, there are plenty of guns kept illegally out there, so why not big cats? It's all possible, but who actually knows until one turns up?

Our friends who do keep larger cats work on the principle that if there is ever an escapee, shoot it if it's safe to do so. So if you see it again, and I have to say that I'm sceptical on a panther, drop it where it stands. It doesn't belong in the wild and if it's getting within 30 yards of people it's a potential danger too :yes: . Don't forget to smile for the newspaper and collect your cheque :D !

I use to have a maine coon cat (big breed and had a lot of dog-like traits). The old dear next door use to feed a Vixen that came almost daily and even brought her cubs when she had them and Cuthbert (don't laugh)was as big as her and use to square up to her and chase her off regularly. There are some big domesticated cats out there and some feral cats that I wouldn't want to tangle with.

Until I see one of these "big cats" for myself, either trapped or shot, I'll say "I think you are talking B0ll0x sir!