Two beads on shotgun

garjo

Hi, I`ve got an old miroku game gun - with one bead at the end of barrel. Looking around most new guns they have two - one at the end and one half way down - do these serve any purpose? - when trying out these out I find the middle bead distracting - presumably the idea is that both have to be aligned together?

on a sporter middle bead covers the end bead when you look down rib correctly so you only see one bead in view.

this way you know the gun is mounted straight.

One bead under another in a figure of 8 is only for trap shooting guns

for a game gun i would say the sporter beads above apply

cheers

When i was looking at a Miroku MK38/MK70 yesterday the chap at the gun shop said to line up the beads to make a tiny 8 shape too

If I am correct, when looking down the gun the front bead should look like it's resting upon the rear bead. It should look like a number 8 which means your eye is correctly aligned.

Yep! make the figure of 8 but only for a practice mount before actually shooting.That way you have some muscle memory and hopefully put it back in the same place. The Sporter is designed to shoot 60% of its lead slightly high so shoot the clays under belly, that way you will dust the clay. If you shoot at it you will often shoot over it. They are made like it so you don`t lift your head off the stock to see the clay/bird which is a big :no::no:

If you can`t see any of the rib or any of the beads your in trouble because every time you hit something its just pure luck or you`ve had to lift your head off the stock which makes your shooting very inconsistent.:yes:

Your comb is about 4/5mm too low, so get a comb raiser. :good:

on a sporter middle bead covers the end bead when you look down rib correctly so you only see one bead in view.

this way you know the gun is mounted straight.

One bead under another in a figure of 8 is only for trap shooting guns

for a game gun i would say the sporter beads above apply

cheers

Afraid i have to disagree here.....my Browning Ultra XS is a sporter and comes with a mid bead....

As has been said before it should look like a figure 8....if you are only seeing 1 bead then either the gun isnt mounted right or it doesnt fit you....

shaun

I've read a few books and seen a few DVD's and the advice is as follows for a single front bead sight.

When looking down the barrel, if the gun is a good fit for flying targets, there should be about and eighth of an inch of rib visible below a single bead sight.

As has been said before, this places more than 50% of the shot above the target centreline.

This would logically equate to a figure of eight for a mid rib sight to achieve the same outcome.

I have had a single lesson and this was checked as part of the gun fit. Show the gun comes up - it will work if you get your swing right !!

Cheers

Kes

I like a middle bead, sometimes when I mount the gun it can get hung up on my jacket ( especially in Winter when I'm well wrapped up ) and I find that a middle bead makes it easier to spot the problem and correct it quickly. My recent Beretta doesn't have one, but I'm going to fit one soon.

1 good thing of a mid bead is you can check to see if you are canting the barrels..the figure of 8 and all that was meant for trap,beyong that I don't think it is meant to have purpose at all,especially as once shooting it should only really be a sub conscious reference to the barrels/beads anyway as of course we are only concentrating on the target..?!

You should know where to point the gun, and what lead you should have, we all miss, why that is because of the lack of swing. As I have mentioned before, it is all in the swing, Just look at all good sports people with there swing and the don’t have little beads stuck on their racket, golf club, base ball bat etc, just good eye, hand and body coordination.

TEH

Figure of 8 is the correct configuration for sporting clays and game,but is only there to aid correct gun mount when dry mounting.Repetition of correct gun mount builds muscle memory and ideally a couple of minutes doing this each night works wonders when you actually get in to the field,where all your concentration should be on the target.The only time you should periphally be aware of your barrels when actually shooting is on those targets which require 'blotting out'.If your technique is correct and your gun fits,you should seldom be aware of 'seeing' your barrels when actually shooting.

apologies guys, my sporter had the beads the same size and height, i think the previous owner put them on hence why i have to line them up.

otherwise you are correct the figure of 8 is correct picture down rib as the centre bead is smaller then the end one

Err shurly you are looking down the barrels not along them?? I'm pretty shure you should see a long sort of road going away even if the mid bead is the same size as the end one it will appear lower? Check it on a pattern plate!

cheers