Magnet technique

ack-ack

I was wondering whether any magnet users could give me a few pointers. It may sound obvious to the battle hardened but what is the best way to integrate a magnet into a formation? How many other deeks should you use? etc. All tips welcomed. The only thing I've managed to entice so far has been my Terrier who couldnt believe his luck when it got going in the back yard.

most of time magnet to front of patten horse shoe patten round it in to wind thing with magnets its trial and error

some days they hate it other time s

they land on top of it some time i never evan get it out of truck also every man and his dog got one so birds get use to them

but i still take it 100% of time just in case ...swiss

Edited by swiss.tony

The first time we used it we couldn't stop laughing it was like a cross between a hitchcock film and pearl harbour but we must have just been lucky. I should start keeping a diary of wind, temp, bag etc I suppose.

Thank you gents, If I'm still alive after lugging all our gear a mile and back over ploughed feilds on sunday I'll hopefully be able to report back that I've cracked it.

After lugging one around for nearly 2 years, i think rotaries have had their day,every pigeon shooter I have come across has one,I think pigeons might have started to think danger when they see that sort of thing,I leave mine in the car,unless I'm really desperate for movement,but they seen to flare off when approaching as if it triggers a memory.

All of the big bags I have shot, (100+/200+ bags) have been with the use of the magnet loaded with dead birds.

I place mine where the birds can see it but do not have to fly over it.

Basically, (after identifying a flight line) I set it so the birds see the magnet, start flying towards it, before they reach the magnet, they will come across the decoy pattern, which is invitingly set out so they will pitch in for a feed :good:

Hope that makes some sence :blush:

Edited by chrispti

All of the big bags I have shot, (100+/200+ bags) have been with the use of the magnet loaded with dead birds.

Basically, (after identifying a flight line) I set it so the birds see the magnet, start flying towards it, before they reach the magnet, they will come across the decoy pattern, which is invitingly set out so they will pitch in for a feed :good:

so if wind behind you and you want them to fly into the wind therfore towards you you'd set themagnet directly in front of you of behind you.where I shoot they just flare off,i'm prob putting in the wrong place,there're just heavy to lug about.

I used to think they were the mutts knuutts but i'm just not convinced now

so if wind behind you and you want them to fly into the wind therfore towards you you'd set themagnet directly in front of you of behind you.

Initially Id put it 5 -10 yrds in front of the hide (assuming the birds are coming in from the front) or slightly off to one side, but all depends on the direction the birds are comming in from.

Hi, i must say that my pigeon magnet is the best thing i have bought, my cocker spaniel drives me mad in the hide wimpering and gets very excited when a bird lands amongst the decoys, i placed the magnet close to the hide the dog is mezmerised by it, his head goes round in circles all day

i dont shoot any more birds but the peace and quiet is wonderful.

cheers geoff

I agree

Had some great days with a magnet.When they are working they will pull birds in a far as they can see it.Had other days when they avoid it like the plague!!

Just started using hypa flaps on the rotary with long floater poles.Pigeons are loving this and they have been hammering in.So the magnet is back in favour.......for the time being!

The rotary has days when it works and days when it seems to shy the birds off, I use mine generaly to one side of the patern and hide 15 to 20 yards out and alter to the birds reaction if needed.

Made my own lightweight rotary just for hypaflaps, on days when the birds shy from the magnet i have used just one arm on the rotary with one hypaflap, the other hypa put on a bouncer out in the pattern, at times it has regained their interest and splits movement around the pattern.

There was a guy at the Detling gamefair doing a cracking rotary with battery for £45. It was whizzing round, seemed to be going twice the speed of my one. How critical is speed?

The guy was trading under the name AA decoys if anybodys after a sturdy but cheap set up. He's on ebay as AndyMoss911

There was a guy at the Detling gamefair doing a cracking rotary with battery for £45. It was whizzing round, seemed to be going twice the speed of my one. How critical is speed?

The guy was trading under the name AA decoys if anybodys after a sturdy but cheap set up. He's on ebay as AndyMoss911

i have bought stuff from him on ebay

has been very good service!

i dont use magnet anymore, used it a few times but every tom **** nd harry uses them now and has done for the past couple years

i get better bags than the majority that shoot around my permissions (12 of them i know well)

and i never use 1, just gliders and static decoys

In the time I've been using the magnet, except for a rare occasion woodies tend to steer clear and fly around it, I find they don't really like to fly near or over them.

I try to place the magnet in a spot so it can be seen by the flightline. I believe the magnet should be used to get the birds attention from distance, but as they head toward it for a closer look they should come across the decoy pattern before reaching the magnet.

So my rule of thumb is the decoy pattern 25-30 yards away from the hide, and the magnet on the opposite side of the pattern to where I expect the birds to be coming from.

As far as decoys on the magnet are concerned I find real birds are by far the best, followed by Hyperflaps.

Have you tried a dead bird flapper? These are excellent and far more forgiving than the magnet as far as positioning goes.

Have you tried a dead bird flapper? These are excellent and far more forgiving than the magnet as far as positioning goes.

I swear by the dead bird flapper. As you say, far more forgiving. If you watch a flock of pigeon feeding, you will more often than not ,see a bird or two flapping, just moving position or whatever.

I use the rotary sometimes, but only with dead birds on it. Pretty much the same as most people, thats, away from the pattern, so the birds come across the decoys before they get to the rotary.

In the time I've been using the magnet, except for a rare occasion woodies tend to steer clear and fly around it, I find they don't really like to fly near or over them.

I try to place the magnet in a spot so it can be seen by the flightline. I believe the magnet should be used to get the birds attention from distance, but as they head toward it for a closer look they should come across the decoy pattern before reaching the magnet.

So my rule of thumb is the decoy pattern 25-30 yards away from the hide, and the magnet on the opposite side of the pattern to where I expect the birds to be coming from.

As far as decoys on the magnet are concerned I find real birds are by far the best, followed by Hyperflaps.

That's basically my philosophy :good:

Magnet and bouncers away from the pattern to get attention. Deeks on the ground to offer reassurance.

If you mount a dead bird on a stick, break its wings and place it in the pattern it will flap whenever the breeze hits it. Same with the low level bouncers or angels. If you break the wing bone outside of the spring clip that holds the wing, it will flutter in the breeze. Batteries not included!

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a magnet for a few years now and have to say that I find the best place for it is in the back of the van !!!!!!.

They just seem to make the shooting harder in my eyes, I much prefer a couple of dead bird flappers to add movement I run 1 on a timer and have a second on a remote. The magnet for me is a last resort when things are getting desperate.

:lol:

Hi, i must say that my pigeon magnet is the best thing i have bought, my cocker spaniel drives me mad in the hide wimpering and gets very excited when a bird lands amongst the decoys, i placed the magnet close to the hide the dog is mezmerised by it, his head goes round in circles all day

i dont shoot any more birds but the peace and quiet is wonderful.

cheers geoff