Why does my Defender keep stalling.

dazbrit

I've had my Defender 90 2.5 na now for a couple of weeks, but when I'm gearing down to turn a corner or at a junction(especially going into second gear)and I push the clutch in it stalls. It doesn't do it all the time about 1 in every 3 or 4 times. When I turn the engine over it will sit and run all day on tick over and drives sound apart from this. Has anybody any idea what the fault is.

Mate ignore the *** heads

It's fuel contamination or lift pump drain the filter to make sure it's not full of water . Then change the lift pump as it may be that struggling to pull fuel from the tank . At best it's a free fix at worst it's £15

If it was a jap it would be a right off

Mate ignore the *** heads

It's fuel contamination or lift pump drain the filter to make sure it's not full of water . Then change the lift pump as it may be that struggling to pull fuel from the tank . At best it's a free fix at worst it's £15

If it was a jap it would be a right off

If it aint the above (which is where I would start)..... Does it use the same fuel pump as a shogun/pajero (I think it might) if so it coul dbe the fuel pump front seal has gone... (I could be totally wrong but it sounds like a common fault with the mitzi's and if your 90 uses the same pump it could be that)

I would think more likely to be the fuel filter than the lift pump, I've been driving mine for the last 4 months with a almost completely knackered lift pump and the only thing that suffered was performance as the engine was relying on the scavenger pump to keep it going. Mind you, you appreciate the difference a new lift pump gives and if it's an older landy why not give it a birthday courtesy of Delphi?

It always makes me laugh when i see the way a Landy Owner will always leap to the defence of his chosen

machine. :lol:

I think if you want a good all roung 4X4 which can tackle a 200 mile motorway run and get you up onto a grouse

moor at the end of it, a Jap 4X4 is the weapon of choice.

However if you only do local trips and short runs then a Landy will tackle the more extreme off road stuff

with greater aplomb.

Why do Landy owners continually have to tell me i am wrong with tales of cross continenet journeys in their

trusty old 90 ?

I know i COULD be done, but why would you want to? Your spine wont thank you for it ! :lol:

It always makes me laugh when i see the way a Landy Owner will always leap to the defence of his chosen

machine. :lol:

I think if you want a good all roung 4X4 which can tackle a 200 mile motorway run and get you up onto a grouse

moor at the end of it, a Jap 4X4 is the weapon of choice.

However if you only do local trips and short runs then a Landy will tackle the more extreme off road stuff

with greater aplomb.

Why do Landy owners continually have to tell me i am wrong with tales of cross continenet journeys in their

trusty old 90 ?

I know i COULD be done, but why would you want to? Your spine wont thank you for it ! :lol:

I've owned a Japenese 4x4 and there's nothing more boring, it's just another 4x4. The landrover is an iconic vehicle known the world over, thats it's appeal, it's a classic car. If we all went for reliability, fuel consumption, price etc. it would be a pretty sad, boring place. We'd all be driving the same car in the same clothes, shooting the same guns with the same dogs etc. I think the vast majority of us who buy a Landy know what to expect, so we really don't need smart ***** telling us they leak, rattle, uncomfortable etc. We already know that.