Gun Up or Gun Down

TaxiDriver

Are you a Gun Up or Down shooter  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you shoulder your gun and aim before calling 'Pull

• No, I hold gun down or out in front
    • Gun Up ready to take aim

I've been told I might be a gun down shooter as I tended to do better raising the gun to my shoulder After shouting 'Pull'

I'm curious if others prefer to do it this way.

Apologies, First time I'd tried posting a poll.

Im glad some of you could work out what I meant - Thanks

Edited by TaxiDriver

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot gun down on everything, even Universal Trap (last week20/25 and today13/13/19) which I have now had 4 attempts at, gun up on the first 2 today, shot like a tw&t, 3rd attempt, gun down again and done a lot better.

I do know if I want to master this discipline I will have to shoot gun up, so lots of practise to come, and take the advice that is offered.

With gun up my stance head position and body movement was all wrong, but that is muscle memory coming into play plus of course a complete change of style.

But a big thankyou to Philr for his help and advice.

Always gun down. You get a better sight picture, plus it gets you prepared for live quarry and practicing your mount. Don’t tell me you are going to wait with the gun up to your cheek allllllll day pigeon shooting... Practice "real world shooting" Don’t take the easy option…

This is, of course, in the "Clay Pigeon Shooting" section where not everybody shoots pigeons. :rolleyes: If I've got plenty of time then I shoot gun down, but for fast close range stuff I tend to shoot gun up. Always gun up for trap and skeet. Why make things harder for yourself? The idea is to hit more than everybody else and there are no bonus points for style.

ps. I think the poll could probably do with a 3rd option for those that change depending on the target. :good:

Edited by paulos

Always gun down. You get a better sight picture, plus it gets you prepared for live quarry and practicing your mount. Don’t tell me you are going to wait with the gun up to your cheek allllllll day pigeon shooting... Practice "real world shooting" Don’t take the easy option…

:hmm:

I'll always take the easy option.

Just as a matter of interest, how many pigeons have you shot in the 'real world'?

Paulos has got it spot on with his answer. :good:

Yes, sensible answers from Paulos and Poontang, it all depends on the target, anybody who shoots EVERY target gun down is handicapping themselves.

Watch Digweed shooting, (in real life, not a promotional video), he'll shoot plenty of targets gun up, as will all good Sporting shots. :yes:

Cat.

Yes, sensible answers from Paulos and Poontang, it all depends on the target, anybody who shoots EVERY target gun down is handicapping themselves.

Watch Digweed shooting, (in real life, not a promotional video), he'll shoot plenty of targets gun up, as will all good Sporting shots. :yes:

Cat.

Even FITASC Sporting? :hmm:

Although I stated I shoot everything gun down, it would be true or fairer to say that there are varying degrees of gun down, if it is a fast going away bird, the gun is almost in the shoulder, if it is a slow incomer it is down by the hip, slightly camp maybe.

I am being taught in my lessons gun down...... :yes:

Well, you probably will be, but it's not suitable for every target on an ENGLISH SPORTING layout, as George Digweed once said when somebody queried why he shot so many targets "gun up".........."Look...this ain't figure skating.....you don't get points for style".

How true.

Cat.

You say its all about “hitting loads of targets“? And “why make it harder for your self“? Make it harder so you become a better shot. George Digweed can shoot gun up sometimes as he is the best shot in the world and either one is good for him, he has practiced both and mastered both. In a comp, sure shoot gun up but when practicing why not make it hardest possible to make yourself become a better shot? You will never excel is you always take the easier option. I guess we agree to disagree on this one then lol. I often hear of good shots doing gun up or just a little dropped from the cheek when shooting Teal which is a bit of both. I guess George does gun up in comps for some birds because the targets are 10x faster then on our every day layout and you just haven't got time. If you can kill everything gun down, then when you come to gun up you will make life alot easier in comps. (Not that I've entered any)By no means am I an amazing shot although I'm pretty good! Also If anyone is in the West Sussex area, PM me if you want to go for a round of sporting! cheerss.

Edited by Beretta Italy