Jinking Pigeons - where am i going wrong?

Hi all im relatively new to the fieldcraft of pigeon shooting. (Typically i shoot everything else... pheasent/rabbit/rough/clay)

On my first outing i was shooting over kale. Set up the hide and 18 or so decoys were set in a scattered formation 20 yards away from the hide. Had many flying over taking a nose at my decoys then getting spooked. As they come in they jinked away from my decoys.

And of the ones that were flying over me every attempt to shoot them and i missed...I beleive they were out of range....?

Am going pigeon shooting tomorrow again and dont want to make the same mistake again? (will prob be shooting over peas)

The hardest part for me is understanding where I maybe going wrong and what i can do to improve my chances this time round? Any tips?

The hide was well hidden... i was cammo'd to the max, i kept my head down... could it all be down to the formation of the decoys? (i just scattered them, no U formation. i used mostly full bodied decoys...no flappers...

Or just a bad day...?

All comments gladly welcome.

Many thanks!

Brad.

Absolute stillness until the target is within range. I've experimented a bit, and I now just use a section of hide net 2m x 2m as a poncho, and sit on a stool. With a hat and face veil, sat perfectly still, and the gun partially mounted, the pigeons seem quite happy to land amongst the decoys. As soon as I move, they take flight.

it is most likely to be your pattern by the sounds of it, make sure you set them out head into the wind, they dont need to be liked a regiment of soldiers and a nice open V maybe 40 yards across at the back, they should then float dwon into the wind and into the middle of the pattern.

assuming your hide was good and you were still i would suggest this is the most likely cause :good:

I'm not so sure the clogged-up pattern is a reason for pigeons not to land. How many times have you driven past a field of stubble and seen 100-200 woodies feasting in close proximity?

Fact is, if the decoys are in the right field, pigeons will come in to feed regardless of how crowded things are.

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to take it all on board. Maybe i was mounting too soon, and moving too mutch. I will experiment with my layout also.

Well my bags are packed ready for tomorrows decoying.

Taking on board what you have said I will report back and let you know if there are any improvements this time round!

Thanks again chaps!

Brad

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to take it all on board. Maybe i was mounting too soon, and moving too mutch. I will experiment with my layout also.

Well my bags are packed ready for tomorrows decoying.

Taking on board what you have said I will report back and let you know if there are any improvements this time round!

Thanks again chaps!

Brad

Contact otherwayup, he lives near to you, and if you are allowed to take a partner with you he can show you the ropes. His name is Darren

I'm not so sure the clogged-up pattern is a reason for pigeons not to land. How many times have you driven past a field of stubble and seen 100-200 woodies feasting in close proximity?

Fact is, if the decoys are in the right field, pigeons will come in to feed regardless of how crowded things are.

I agree with the comment above. To me the pattern is only to try and direct pigeons to where I might want them.

Without being there, people can only guess why the pigeons would flare off.

I tend to think it was probably movement in the hide.

Of course I may be wrong, but my experience of inexperienced shooters that have been with me,(and there has been many)is that they don't realise how still you have to be in the hide when a pigeon is closing in.

The most common problem has been, when I have been in the same hide with the inexperienced person, I usually spot pigeons before the other person, and I will say, "keep still, there's a pigeon coming in at 2 o'clock"(or wherever), and he will spin his head round to look for it, quite often lifting it high above the net in the process. Of course you know what happens then, the bird swerves off and is away to the next farm in a flash.

I think its been suggested already, but maybe you should spend a couple of days with an experienced woodpigeon shooter. You'll be surprised how much you'll pick up from them without realising. I'm sure there's plenty on here that will be only too willing to help.

Best of luck.

Thanks ever so much for all your replies. It all helps. Well after a full day out i managed to bag only 4 pigeons... but you know what... im happy with that... its 4 more than i got last time!

its an improvement and i had a good day. its all trial and error and all your comments helped. i think most importantly i must keep still and must get my timings right.

cheers,

Brad!

Thanks ever so much for all your replies. It all helps. Well after a full day out i managed to bag only 4 pigeons... but you know what... im happy with that... its 4 more than i got last time!

its an improvement and i had a good day. its all trial and error and all your comments helped. i think most importantly i must keep still and must get my timings right.

cheers,

Brad!

Many a day i've been glad of that many!

Sometimes the 1st pigeon of a day is the worst, and takes longest to arrive. The adrenalin tends to make you a bit jumpy until the first one is downed. :good:

I would say the problem you had could well have been that the pigeons were not dead set on your field. Sometimes pigeons are attracted to decoys but then decide they don't want to join your pattern. They may turn away, not necessarily frightened. Just today i had some superb decoying for a couple of hours over peas. A decent number of birds decoyed just how i like and i shot 44 for 54 shots. However some birds came within 60-70 yards and turned away. This didn't mean i had spooked them, they just didn't want to land there.

If you remain still and the pigeons jink away then it's something about your deeks that unsettle them. If they jink after you've moved then it's you.

Don't worry about missing those flying over. Many game and clay shooters struggle with pigeons initially. Just keep at it and shoot instinctivly and you'll begin to pick them up.

Here's a link that might help Linky

You really need to leave some where for the new arrivals to land amongst your decoys :good:

Useful link that. I`m far from an expert at decoying but i much prefer the second image in the link. Pigeons pitching into the wind seem to hold on the wind an extra second before landing. Opening the horseshoe give a bird an area of comfort to land in.

Decoying isn`t easy and takes patience and practise.

"Practised by many, mastered by few"

muggins.

It could also be your decoys mate are using flocked ones? or shiny plastic ones ? i use the new fuds mixed in with sillosocks non reflecting :good:

Good point! If your decoys are a bit shiny (Especially if tere is any dampnes in the air) you could try getting pairs of nylon stockings or tights, cut them into sections and slide them over your decoys, this might take the shine off them enough to make a difference - Even if it doesn't it can be fun trying to get your partner to agree to let yopu take her tights or (Preferably) stockings off on the pretext that you need them for your decoys! :lol::lol::lol:

Good point! If your decoys are a bit shiny (Especially if tere is any dampnes in the air) you could try getting pairs of nylon stockings or tights, cut them into sections and slide them over your decoys, this might take the shine off them enough to make a difference - Even if it doesn't it can be fun trying to get your partner to agree to let yopu take her tights or (Preferably) stockings off on the pretext that you need them for your decoys! :lol::lol::lol:

Just thinking about this, could thick black tights be used to convert pigeon shells for use with rooks/crows?

Nial.