fed up with lamping

cockercas

Right now I'm lamping solo with a lightforce 170 scope mounted as its to far for my mate to come for the 20min I'm out. Now I'm suffering very bad glare thru the scope enough even to make the eyes of the fox hard to see. The lamp is mounted as far forward and on top of the scope. The gun is a .243 with a T8 mod with a black neoprene cover on and a black sock from the mod to under the scope. The scope is a 4-10x45 pecar Berlin. I've tried covering the bottom half of the lamp with tape and even when I hold the lamp in my hand on the fore end of the gun I suffer this glear. Any other ideas or do I need to scrap the scope. The rifle is in front of me and looking at it the mod is about half the hight

of the scope if that helps. This is driving me mad seen as I've been unable to shoot 4 foxes in the scope

IF you don't get any joy try using a plastic plant pot.

Get one that has a mouth that will go over the lens of the lamp.

Cut the bottom off it.

Fasten it over the lens like a cone, so that the light shines through the hole where the bottom used to be.

It works like a search light, but projects the beam forward quite a bit.

I asked the same question back in February:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/156834-light-reflecting-off-moderator/page__p__1333445__hl__reflecting__fromsearch__1#entry1333445

After a lot of helpful advice, I finally determined that the problem light reflected off the back of the moderator was comming directly from the bulb.

I solved it with a small piece of tape on the front of the lamp, directly in line with the front of the bulb and the back of the moderator.

Edited by ian_in_the_midlands

• 1 year later...

I asked the same question back in February:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/156834-light-reflecting-off-moderator/page__p__1333445__hl__reflecting__fromsearch__1#entry1333445

After a lot of helpful advice, I finally determined that the problem light reflected off the back of the moderator was comming directly from the bulb.

I solved it with a small piece of tape on the front of the lamp, directly in line with the front of the bulb and the back of the moderator.

Any chance of a pic mate

simply I'm yet to make lamping on a centerfire work properly. The archer is the single best thing I've bought for shooting foxes single handed, long battery life easy to carry and good to 200 yards. No leads no glare just dead foxes though not cheap it reduces the need for expensive scopes and can be switched rifle to rifle and obviously you don't get lamp shy ones. Had a cracking sized dog fox last night in very hard conditions long grass only a small area and some tramlines clear, watched it go one way a quick squeak it came back and a quick shot job done. You find compared to lamping you can ***** the situation better and without the pressure of the fox being aware that something is up.

Edited by al4x

A Blue Peter approach may work for you in the same way it worked for me and smaller lamps:

A kitchen roll tube sprayed or inked black over the end of the scope can work wonders for stopping the lamp light seeing the sound mod.

Tape up the outer diameter of the objective bell to make the tube a decent fit, sounds like it wont need much. The tube can be removed and kept in the gunbag when not needed daytimes, and it doesn't matter if it gets flattened. It looks cheap, is cheap but as you know it'll get lit up with everything else when you 'spot with it.

Unfortunately the large LF lamp will affect your natural nite-eyes when scanning/spotting and really is a long range lamping partners tool rather than a solo gun lamp.