The Image of Shooters

Scully

Following on from another thread,something Mungler mentioned about seeing things from the other side of the fence,I just wondered what image we shooters as individuals or as a group,present to the non-shooting public.Do you go out of your way to present an acceptable image of yourself as a shooter,or are you indifferent to the publics impression of you or us?

What,if anything,do you do to give a good impression of yourself as a shooter?

If the topic of shooting cropped up n conversation among a group of people who are unaware that you shoot,would you defend shooting or simply keep quiet?You may think that's an easy answer,but I know of a shooter whose employer is a rabid anti,and he therefore avoids all conversation about his 'sport'.

Do you think BASC's media centre could be doing more to improve the image of shooting and shooters?

If our image does need improving,how do we do it?

I make a habit of giving oven ready birds(pheasant and ducks)and rabbits to many people around town,not in a conscious effort to create a good impression(though it helps!)but simply because I receive in return home-made jams,pickles etc in return.Not a big deal I admit,but the responses from those I give birds to is very positive,even more so amongst those who are meat eaters but while they don't disapprove of shooting do disapprove of people owning guns. :wacko:

Anyhow,if this topic has been covered before,my apologies,the mod's can delete it.

Good post - I sometimes think that we are our own worst enemy. You only have to open your eyes and read some of the risky stuff posted in different forums to see how we feed ammo to the antis.

The only problem is sorting truth from fiction.

How many people who post on forums as if they are legitimate shooters and license holders are just fantasists living in a dream world with no chance of owning a gun?

I do cringe at some of the photo's which are posted.

Personally I do not enjoy killing animals and would never photograph them as trophy's or want to be seen posing beside a kill. The animals I shoot are killed out of necessity and with respect. Rabbit numbers in my area have become so great that I am now having to shoot the baby ones but that is one unavoidable aspect of pest control, I do not glory in it as some do.

My image obviously needs some work ................. as we've got our first outdoor range date on Tuesday I thought it would be a good idea to check all my outdoor gear today.

So, 30mins later and there's a knock at the door, opened it to find a nice young lady offering cheaper gas/electric but she didn't stay long, I think she was a bit put off by the sight of a rather large 6' 6" unshaven bloke in full camo gear and size 13 boots, not a pretty sight by all accounts :D

Probably everyone in my village knows I shoot. When I was younger about 14 (I'm 22 now) I'd ride down the street full cammo air rifle over the shoulder and some rabbits on the handle bars. Some times I'd get strange looks and sometimes people would ask for the rabbits. I wouldn't do it now. As for taking pics I don't bother never have. But I do park my van in the shop car park and will carry ducks geese and other game thru the shop car park on the way home

Camo serves an obvious purpose in the field. But, I just don't get the need to dress up like Ross Kemp in Ultimate Force to shoot some clays or take part in a (any) target type competition.

Indeed, leaving the shooting aside I don't get fully grown men who are not in any of the services giving it the full on tactical look.

I don't think that it's because I feel intimidated or threatened, I just look at them and think "nutter".

Maybe it was because in one of the local villages the local nutter was 24/7 in military fatigues and that memory has stuck.

Maybe it's also because I know that if I dressed like a ninja to go shooting my missus wouldn't let me out the door looking like a loon and subliminally seeing grown men dressed funny my mind has already made up it's mind that they are single / on their own and not part of the pack.

Each to their own, I'm just calling it how I and the general public see it. It's much like if you see someone with a shaved head, in a green bomber jacket and wearing DMs well you think skin head. Yeah it's judgemental and in utopia it wouldn't happen.... but hey it's an imperfect world we live in. Mind you if you knowingly dressed to a stereo type you couldn't be surprised to be assumed to be such?

Looking at yourself through another's eyes is just part of being self aware.

Edited by Mungler

Hey I just realised I took a pic of some pigeons last week. To show the owner of the permission and I uploaded it on here. First time for everything. I agree with mungler I sometimes were my tweed jacket to walk the dog or cammo pants when I'm of ducking but never full on cammo in the street

I onlt own two pieces of camo' gear,one is a Musto jacket,the other a cap,but am quite indifferent to others wearing it.A local 'keeper wears a lot of DPM,but that's just because it's cheaper than most shooting attire.

I'm so use to seeing people in shooting gear that I've never really given camo'as an image much thought.

I also have a mate who crawls through hedgerows in a full 'ghillie' suit,popping off pigeons and rabbits,but he's well known for being an odd-ball even when dressed normally!

I live in a very rural area surrounded by shoots and most people here know each other,and shooters are seen walking down the main street on an almost daily basis,even out of season.This is widely accepted and I've never heard anyone express surprise at it.In urban areas where not many people have much contact with our countryside I can understand how someone in camo' could attract attention,but isn't there more to a shooters image than the clothes we wear?

I must admit I wouldn't go out of my way to adhere to a certain dress code for fear of upseting someone,but neither would I wear a t-shirt with 'there's a place for all gods creatures;next to the potatoes and gravy'emblazoned across it! :)

Indeed, leaving the shooting aside I don't get fully grown men who are not in any of the services giving it the full on tactical look.

I know the RAF Regiment should just where blue like the rest of the RAF.

Joking a side I prefer to wear somber colour tho I will pull on a Combat Jacket for crow and pigeons once in a hide.

I try my best to dress as Mr Toad whenever I shoot but often I end up in whatever I was wearing during the day + barbour and gun. I shoot mainly at an equestrian yard and tend to find 'hiding' or holding my gun in my silhouette the best way to avoid confrontation. Also living in an urban area I try to avoid being seen walking between the house and the car with a gun.

You can see the range nutters at Bisley a mile off, shooting black .22s with chest rig and drop leg magazine holders etc. I wouldn't dare tell them they couldn't do what they like but it doesn't help shake off the 'shooters are all mental murderers' image that far too many people hold these days.

I remeber having a walk down to see the HFT lads at Bisley one year and most of them were a beret short of full working dress, quite odd.

But hey, each to their own.

Very interesting post and as Mungler says, looking at yourself as others would and adjusting accordingly is what most of us tend towards.

When I worked, shooting was very much non PC.

You ocassionally got to know someone who was a shooter but kept it to yourself, as career prospects were (and probably still are) not enhanced by being a known shooter.

I eat most of what I shoot and do pass some on to others so they understand the link. Mostly its older people who enjoy rabbit pigeon and pheasant but can no longer gather them themselves. These folks still know about where food comes from and are generally ok with shooting and shooters.

I feel we have an obligation to be moderate, respectful and considerate of others, when engaged in our sport.

It just seems the right thing to do if you are in posession of a gun.

There are some whose dress enhances an already poor image of shooters. I'd rather see an old guy in a battered coat out beating than have him trying 'too hard' in full camo. I think this is just how I have developed, no obvious streotypes or 'bad examples' as far as I can remember.

Having (I hope) learnt to project a reasonably respectable image (and retired), I now do all I can to confirm I shoot in a 'many do' type of non sensationalist way. We hide too much I think and not all people are repelled by killing to eat, or controlling pests.

Most are repelled by just killing and commercial shoots perhaps need to invest more in projecting a 'food harvest' image to their business.

What I do think is a great idea is Scully trading wild meats for jams, honey, veg or anything - its free, healthy and avoids income tax and VAT !

I make jam and grow veg and hope to keep bees as well as chickens so I'm looking to develop skill in bartering for food.

What chance shooters bartering their wild catch at farmers markets, or even having shooters markets where money is banned and trading is the only form of 'buying' something? Might focus attention positively on shooting?

I try to show dog walkers an people I see that I am a friendly responsible lad trying to help the farmer out and getting free dinner at the same time. I've only just started going on my own, so my chatty dad has stopped as much down to work commitments. At the min I've never tried pigeon which is soon to be changed on my next outting Tuesday evening. I think people think better of you when they know you're not just killing it for sport, but also using it, I also grow my own vegetables for our household, which makes us a little bit more self sufficient . People in the village especially the older generation ask for rabbits and other pests as it reminds them of " the good old days" I use to go with my dad who they all know well too and they no he's brought me up to not disrespect things, in return are generally nice and respect it as I don't ask for nothing in return, plus being a village I think it's a different opinion to towns and cities. Alot of folks shoot near me too. But I would defend the sport as people who generally have guns are responsible an do a job to protect crops and get food, it's only the odd muppet and teens who get there hands on them and wreck the reputation

i dont see anything wrong with wearing full camo , i also where wax jackets and tweed . But i have no problems seeing beaters in full camo . I wouldnt want to where good stuff when getting ragged about in brambles. Most people who dont like camo are snobbish

We need to STOP all the bitching from within our sport before we ask our Organisations to join forces and promote SHOOTING! Never before have I heard so many prejudices from within, than I have tonight.

There is more than one thread on here knocking various parts of our sport/pastime jeez, if your gonna bitch about someone wearing camo or using Mini Guns to Pistols. We might as well give up!

The next thing will be, stop killing those little furry things, because it does not "Float my boat".

Why can't we all get along?

Phil

We need to STOP all the bitching from within our sport before we ask our Organisations to join forces and promote SHOOTING! Never before have I heard so many prejudices from within, than I have tonight.

There is more than one thread on here knocking various parts of our sport/pastime jeez, if your gonna bitch about someone wearing camo or using Mini Guns to Pistols. We might as well give up!

The next thing will be, stop killing those little furry things, because it does not "Float my boat".

Why can't we all get along?

Phil

:good:

I don't think it's a case of bitching, i for one don't care what people wear while shooting or what they choose to shoot.... but what it is about is how we are seen by the public.

Promote the food side , promote crop protection , promote the very talented clay shooters this country produces.... they never get a mention on the news.. every other sport gets plugged but not shooting.

I only own one camo coat, it's a breathable fabric so gets worn alot, dog walking , pub.... even Tesco's... it doesent raise any eyebrows.... but i would just as easily wear my wax proof or green fleeces while out. But head to toe camo does make people wonder what's happening or if the person wearing it is suspect in some way.

I grew up in a village , guns were a normal sight and no one was alarmed or scared.... to walk down the road now would cause a major security alert with armed response and probably helecopters all turning up.

The world is a very different place now and to counter the fear and paranoia which the very sight of a gun or suggestion you might have one brings, we have to be sensible and proper in how we behave... we are being watched for the least infringement.

Through no fault of our own we have to act in a far more sensitive and PC way... being descreet is the easyist thing to do and only takes a bit of thought on our part.

Ramming our right to do as we want down a frightend public's throat is going to get us nowhere fast.

Promoting clay shoots, especially have a go days, or charity days would start to bring us back into the world and show the public that it's fun and above all safe, and that we are not a bunch of thugs who like killing everything that breathes.

Dave

You can see the range nutters at Bisley a mile off, shooting black .22s with chest rig and drop leg magazine holders etc. I wouldn't dare tell them they couldn't do what they like but it doesn't help shake off the 'shooters are all mental murderers' image that far too many people hold these days.

I remeber having a walk down to see the HFT lads at Bisley one year and most of them were a beret short of full working dress, quite odd.

But hey, each to their own.

99% of them are in the ncc/dd/ha/ss lol

p.s if i go missing i have been "dealt" with by one of the clubs above :lol: :blink:

I live in a village, as above poster said guns are common round here, i walk to my permissions often and people are never too scared to ask for some rabbit or pigeon, ive even had complete strangers pullover and ask me weather ive had a good day and ask me what ive been shooting, not rudely, but out of genuine interest, and i love that my village has such an atmosphere, ive been into shooting for 4 years and its introduced me to some beautifull places and some good friends, I honestly dont know what ill do when i move away. I make a habbit of wearing my tweed and wax whenever its not too hot just to try and make sure im looking "country" - the people round here appreciate it ha

Where I live I almost don't know anyone who doesn't have a gun or a horse for that matter. Some horsey types hunt some don't and I have a veggy committee member on my clay shoot who comes to the pub and happily ribs us about munching pork pies. Out on the permiisions I have more problems with urban dog walkers who seem to be a law unto themselves but overall I find folks pretty tolerent of others view of life. Long may it continue.

im very proud of what i have shooting wise i never thought id own guns like a do.i talk non stop about shooting the lads at work all ask how i have got on at the weekend and what did i get. in a way i teach them things they dont no.there is some old boys at work they have never seen a badger owl munjak hare nothing so they like to hear the storys. they also have meat of me rabbit muntjak game birds they all no i do it some may not like it but thats there choice (dont talk to me) i dont like golf that seems to be a big thing at my work but i dont give them a hard time over it.

as for camo and pics , camo defo helps when out in the sticks and pics i do take i love looking back over the years seeing what iv been up to i took pics of all the nice carp i cought took pics of guns animals anything its just a pic to look back on ..

i try to make people think its not just running round with a gun its my food sorce and passion. if they want to buy meat they no nothing about that has been killed in a much more horrid way thats there choice i like to eat good food and now what im eating so i go get it myself end of.

I only have 3 cammo type items of clothing, a real tree type jacket which I use for most of my rough shooting and the second item is a pair of desert DPM trousers as I find thm nice and light and when walking round they are breathable to I dont tend to get such betty swallocks in them which gives me a greater leval of comfort.And third is a Desert DPM combat jacket which is dead handy for all its pockets esp the zipp chest pockets, really handy for spent brass spar mags, hand held tourch, pellets, fox call pellet pusher, knife, knife sharpener etc.

Typically I wear:

Lamping = wellies,jeans or dickies work trousers, any t-shirt or jumper and my real tree type jacket.

Clay = Trainers or boots,jeans,t-shirt or any other top and a black beretta skeet-jacket.

Beating = wellies,wax leggings, jeans, t-shirt, jumper and tweed type heavy jacket

HF= just getting started but, boots or trainers, t-shirt and realtree type jacket, although as am a big girl and I get sore elbows am looking for something with padded elbows :-D

I do think there is a time and a place for cammo and am even considering a jackpike full LLC leaf suit but wouldnt put it on untill I got to where I was going shooting. Like wise before I walk out with gun bags etc I always look to see if anyones about and where possible wait till I cant see anyone ! I openly talk about shooting alot to people I know but other than that dont advertise the fact!

As much as people sterio type people because of how they dress and I agree its unfair I fully admit that I do it also. If I see someone in a football shirt I nearly always think football thug and that they are into thugish sport ! then golf, I really cant see the point in it and cant help buth those that do play it are a little sad and those who dress up for it are real sado`s ! The list goes on but we all have hobbies and I cant help but think if they arent harming you then keep your nose out as there is no need to comment or get involved !

Why has this post turned into people trying to defend their use of camo? And also this post about shooters vs antis has turned into shooters vs shooters. Theres a couple of posts at the start about trophy shots etc and killing for nessecity. Whilst a lot of people do shoot for nessecity the undeniable majority, myself included, shoot for fun and the trophy shot. and so what if target shooters wana get dressed in BDU combats and boots, they might think you look like a **** dressed head to toe in tweed just to pick up your carts.

Personally I dont hide my hobby from anyone and will always try to talk to people about one of my chosen passions. I tell people game days arent all about the shooting but also the pagentry and that deer stalking isnt just about killing a deer but stalking and the searching for the deer in beautfiul rugged coutryside. The extremists though, you will never win over, so i just ignore them.