keeping birds fresh out in the field

BenBhoy

hey guys,

call me an optomist (been called worst) but im hoping for some big bags on my permission once it's cut (end of week). what im wondering is, will birds shot first thing start to suffer from flies etc by end of day is particularly hot? i put shot birds out as deeks but would i be better trying to keep them in shade of hedge or covering with something? i sell about half of what i shoot, so has to be in decent nick. cheers for any input.

i thought of it earlier on as i was having to trim maggots from a sheeps **** - fun times!!

I've not had the chance to shoot pigeon yet, but would it be wise to take some of those freezer blocks and a cool box? It would be sealed and cooler.

speaking from experiece mate, i'd say it depends how far you have to carry your kit on foot!

Once I have filled my pattern up I put the rest in a big canvas bag in the hide, I will be interested to see how every body else does it as I have always wondered :good:

:stupid:

I use my canvas decoy/net bag, take them back first to the van, load them in bread baskets then back for the hide etc.

If it is a slow day they go in my pocket :sick::mad:

TEH

hi i put them in ladys tights buy the large ones they work well keeps the flys off and cool try it you can get ten pigeons per leg

ha i cant see my missus accepting that excuse when she finds some ripped XXL tights in back of car!!!

Edited by BenBhoy

In this weather, old net curtains sewn into a bag, then carry them off the field in a stronger bag. As mentioned earlier about the post sack my brother found one blowing down the road last week and give it to me. What i do after i get home and have emptied the pigeons out is to soak the bags in a bucket of cheap disenfectant ( and water )for hygeine reasons, and it helps get the blood off.