.410 or air rifle?

TGEvans

Hi guys, this is my first post so be nice! Bit of a quandry! Cannot decide whether or not to stick with my Theoben Evo 22 air rifle or swap it for a silenced .410 Baikal! Pros for me are that pellets are cheap and with the gun being silenced is very quiet, but there is more range with the .410 I would have thought. And how much quieter are the silenced versions of the .410? Any feedback much appreciated, Tim.

Too be fair, ranges are probably very similar, and the rifle is most likely more accurate out to say 40-50 yards....(wouldn't suggest shooting it further than that, risk injuring not killing)

I have shot .410 before and found them only half decent out to say 40 yards.... so its down to you really!

I'd stick with the air rifle, and buy a 12G.

I have used a fully silenced barrelled .410 similar to the one you are talking about and it was

quite quiet with 2.5" cartridges but it is not a 40yd gun. The most effective .410 cartridges

that I have used were Fiocchi 3" 19gram 7.5's. Even with these cartridges it is still not a 40 yd

gun but useful for certain applications and good fun! :)

Its all about where you shoot. My current best permission is 3 horse fields that has a road on one side and a caravan park to another albeit a few hundred yards out. It basically rules out 22 rimmie and 12g. I shoot with my air rifle during daylight and into the first hour of darkness with a scope lamp and then I walk the boundary after that with a fully moderated 410. Stopping now and then at known bunny haunts. I flick on the attached led light do and quick scan and usually pick up a few 30 yard runners to take a pop at trying to make it back to the hedgerow. I'd say its only a 35 to 40 yard killer with 3" shells. You need to be much closer for the smaller quieter shells. Ammo is also silly money but I do enjoy the sport of the last hour or two on those fields.

My opinion is the air rifles only good for humane kills at a mximum of 40 yards and the 410 is a shade under that.

I am under the impression that the size of the bore has northing to do with either range or killing power of a shorgun be it 12g, 20g 28g or 410, using the same propellant and size of shot the should all be approximation equal

It's the amount of shot in the pattern that matters and a .410 doesn't have sufficient shot of a sufficient size to do the job at range because the pattern soon thins out.

This explains it fairly, IMO. http://www.fourten.org.uk/performance.html

I prefer an air rifle for bunnies and a moderated 20gauge shooting 28gram loads for pigeons.

A little off topic but I have had three Hushpower Modded Shotguns, a 20 bore O/U Investarm, Mossy 410 pump which I still have and an old Anshutz 410 BA with a 9 inch Mod fitted by myself. By far the quietest was the latter which unfortunately I sold when I bought the Mossy and that was using like for like ammo in the 410's. Very strange given the size of the Mod on the Mossy compared to the 9 inch muzzle Mod. I could use the Anschutz in my garden for Rats from an upstairs window with total discretion but wouldn't dream of using the Mossy even though perfectly legal.

My advice if you get one is buy a cheap SB 410 and fit a 9 inch Mod, mine cost £100 all in which probably means you can keep both. Only down side is a fiddly reload but you can't reload a single shot fast enough for a second shot at the same quarry anyway unless it is to finish a less than perfect first shot.

Edited by JRDS

I am under the impression that the size of the bore has northing to do with either range or killing power of a shorgun be it 12g, 20g 28g or 410, using the same propellant and size of shot the should all be approximation equal

Wrong!!!

you mgot to be a good shot with a .410 and unless you are you will waste expensive carts and you will wound a lot more than you kill

to the average shot a .410 is goodd to about 20-25 yards max

ive seen blokes sent home from shoots with .410's cos they just cant hit em and they think they range the same as a 12

A 410 and a 12ft lb air rifle are VERY different animals.

I don't really see it as being an either or situation, possibly both if you really want a new toy to play with.

Many find a 410 useful, but for most it's use is limited, and carts are daft money for such a little thing! :good:

Edited by Dekers

If that was the case then why have all these different gauges if they are all as effective as each

other. A good shot with a .410 loaded with 3" shells sizes 7.5 - 9 shot could break certain clay

targets consistantly at up to 40 yds but if that clay then was presented end on then that is

a different story and a trip to the old pattern plate will prove it. That doesn't mean that you

will be able to bowl over a rabbit at 40 yds just because you can break a clay. It is quite simple

to work out - it is not the velocity of the pellets in each gauge that is the problem but the

number of pellets! Each gauge can take a certain weight (grams) of pellets which may slightly

overlamp the next gauge up.

For instance, .410gauge loads 12grams,14grams,19grams. 28gauge

loads 14grams,18grams,21grams. 20gauge loads 21g,24grams,28grams,30grams. 12gauge loads 21gram,24gram,,

28grams,32grams,34grams and so on and so fourth. A 21gram load of number 7 shot has the same

amount of pellets in any gauge and will be travelling at the approximately the same speed as do

all the other weights. You need to drum on your understanding of ballistics - I suggest you

purchase the Eley shooters diary as it is full of useful information before you head out of the

door with a .410 to go goose shooting in Scotland.

.410 is far more limited in range than many appriciate, at its best with more open chokes at very short ranges useable with tight chokes at sensibile ranges by skilled shotgunners. The whole 12 ft lb airgun thing has gone too far these days, FAC pre-charged might be what your searching for but don't yet know it. They have the extra range, reduced windages and killing power without the worries and responsibilty levels of the .22 lr.

i own a hushpower .410 and rave on about it at most opportunities :lol: i found the affective range to be of a maximum 25 yard killing power when using 3 inch subs, it is considerably quiet and once you are able to sneak up on the bunnies you can pop them off one by one as they feed, they never seem to notice the noise at all, i have shot many with mine, it is also handy for back yard squirrels ( as long as the shot does not leave your boundary) :good:

Wrong!!!

you mgot to be a good shot with a .410 and unless you are you will waste expensive carts and you will wound a lot more than you kill

to the average shot a .410 is goodd to about 20-25 yards max

ive seen blokes sent home from shoots with .410's cos they just cant hit em and they think they range the same as a 12

The point I was making is the killing power and range is roughly the same for same size shot and equal power propellant.

Yes obviously the 410 has a lot less pellets that say the 12g and therefore will be far harder to hit at equal range as bigger holes in pattern, so yes you would restrict range on live targets, but look at 410 on sporting clays and you will be impressed at the range you can dust them

I would question the lower velocity due to proportional more pellets in contact with barrel slowing down the 410 as both should have about the same, one the 410 has a longer pellet string but less circumference in the cartridge whilst the 12g has more in the circumference and shorter string.

Probably a close call

• 8 months later...

I have a fully silenced .410 and 20 g depending on what you are using them for makes the real difference if it is ratting in a barn then air rifle anything else i use a .22Lr (dont have an FAC air rifle) the silenced .410 will get you rabbits and pigeons at close range (20yds) and is very quiet. The silenced 20g I use in a feild where noise is an issue it isnt taht quiet but is considerably quieter than a 12g :) its really a case of the correct tool for the job

Hope that helps its only my opinion :)