what to wear for

rimmie

My advice would be to buy a pair of breeks, their more comfortable than moleskins tucked in wellingtons and look the part, you can often get a good pair off ebay reasonably cheap. Wear a checked shirt and most importantly a tie again ebay is a good start or John Norris. Always take a pair of polished brown shoes to wear before the shoot as you will be asked in for coffee on arrival is my guess, you may have a meal after as well and nothing worse than walking around in a pub in your socks!

It's a queer old pastime,this shooting lark,and can be quite daunting for someone new to the scene.

Unless you're shooting with Lord wotsisname and his landed chums from the city set,then I wouldn't go to extremes.

So long as you don't turn up with an 8 shot pump,dressed in camo' from head to foot,I wouldn't worry too much.Just be yourself,turn up on time,be courteous and polite,safe,and enjoy yourself.

DO NOT run out of cartridges.By the time you've got one or two shoots under your belt you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.Have fun. :good:

It's a queer old pastime,this shooting lark,and can be quite daunting for someone new to the scene.

Unless you're shooting with Lord wotsisname and his landed chums from the city set,then I wouldn't go to extremes.

So long as you don't turn up with an 8 shot pump,dressed in camo' from head to foot,I wouldn't worry too much.Just be yourself,turn up on time,be courteous and polite,safe,and enjoy yourself.

DO NOT run out of cartridges.By the time you've got one or two shoots under your belt you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.Have fun. :good:

thanks everyone for the advise :good:

I think that on these types of shoots its about traditions I like to put the breeks and a a nice shirt on, you don't need to spend a fortune I bought breeks from doe's for £20 in a sale same with the shirt, but I wear mole skins sometimes too, I think if your smart and enjoy the day thats the main thing, shoot etiquette would be more important.

What ever you wear hope you enjoy it. Tristram

because i will be shooting with 10 very good freinds,unless i see some teweeds at good money im going to go for moleskins etc.. what are peoples thoughts on a waist coat rather than the body warmer type ones ???:good:

i dont like seing guns in 3 piece tweed unless their are keepers :good: full suits are for keepers gillies and stalkers imo

a shooting waist coat is a good plan but a set of moleskins (not brand new wear them in so you dont look a compleat ***)

a white check shirt a NICE tie not some gastly blue things with ess on it! and a vrown/green v-neck sweater. and a tie clip for lunch if the other gents are a bit posh, i find a tie pin can add subtle class :yes:

as you can tell i like people to look the part for formal days as for beaters days :oops::oops: :blink: 3 shot and 8 shot guns all round tin hats and flack jackets :lol:

i dont like seing guns in 3 piece tweed unless their are keepers :good: full suits are for keepers gillies and stalkers imo

a shooting waist coat is a good plan but a set of moleskins (not brand new wear them in so you dont look a compleat ***)

a white check shirt a NICE tie not some gastly blue things with ess on it! and a vrown/green v-neck sweater. and a tie clip for lunch if the other gents are a bit posh, i find a tie pin can add subtle class :yes:

as you can tell i like people to look the part for formal days as for beaters days :oops::oops: :blink: 3 shot and 8 shot guns all round tin hats and flack jackets :lol:

Tie pin :hmm: :hmm: wots wrong with tucking it inbetween the shirt buttons ;):hmm::lol:

hi all i belong to a local shoot that shoots pheasents partrige etc.. on about 500 acres but on the 22 october we are going to brockets farm in hartfordshire witch is a bit of a ''posh'' shoot so im abit confused on what to wear.I have looked at the price of tweeds and there VERY expensive so i have come to the conclution from looking on the net and in the shooting magazines to buy a pair of moleskin trousers a shirt and tie and a waist coat.i have alreedy got a smart olive green shooting coat and a pair of le chameu wellies so if i tuck my moleskins in my wellies is this ok ?? also in terms of a waist coat can i just wear a plan black or green one rather than a body warmer tweed type as i would get one to match the coat and moleskins ? i no i sound like a bit of a tart but on my shoot i normaly wear jeans and my advantige timber jacket ! thanks for any advise :good:

What you are proposing is perfectly fine, wear a shirt and tie, moleskin trousers look smart but be aware that they usually come with unfinished trouser bottoms so they will need sewing up. Half an hour with a needle and thread or 2 minutes on a sewing machine will do nicely. Footware, in Oct in might still be very warm and wellies might be a bit hot, if you have a pair of boots wear them instead. Just make sure they are reasonably clean.

Dont buy tweeds for one day, in Oct you may find them very hot and unpleasant to wear. No one is going to send you home for coming wrongly dressed even if you were in cammo, your proposed get up is just fine ( no cammo though !!) and remember to relax and enjoy the day.

If you did want to invest in tweed then Beaver of Bolton do some really hard wearing stuff. You do get what you pay for with tweed as in all things. I would not buy a set of tweed if i was shooting on a walk/stand basis, bushes will destroy it on short order. Stand only then a set of tweeds will make you feel more comfortable once your family have finished ripping the p---s out of you. Thats par for the course.

A

I've just rocked up in moleskins and wellies before. Nice tattersal shirt and a good tie (with a pheasant on, obviously). 'Rough' tweed gillet, pair of wellie socks, flat cap and away you go.

Just remember some cash for a tip (and a few pound coins for any 'pots' they may have on the day)... an no semi... and take shoes ...and don't shoot another mans bird. You might want a nice cartridge bag or belt (not the great aldi special).

Mainly, have fun. Don't get caught up on the ponsy etiquette thing that gets banded around. As long as you are a safe shot and don't act like a *****, you'll be ok. After the first drive you'll wonder what all the fuss was about, you'll be clinking glasses with the lords and gentry in the back of the gun bus (probably to find out they are no different from you...and probably can't shoot for toffee)!

:)

Edited by huffhuff

• 5 weeks later...

I'm starting on my first shoot (have always beaten before) this year and didn't want to go the whole hog tweed thing as had been warned by friends that it was pretty hot and wasn't sure what the trend was on this shoot.

So I've just bought some moleskin breeks and a similar shooing waistcoat also have a checked shirt and bought some socks and garters. Tried on last night and Mrs fell about laughing, aparently I look like a 50 year old farmer, what does she know. I've an old barbour I can wear when it's wet

Breeks were too long (half way down shin) so they have had to go back and have re-ordered some shorter ones.

Not sure about a tie any suggestions? Is it better to just have a plain one rather than ones with birds on that you see about the place?

So with breeks do these get tucked into your socks and wellies?

And how the hell do you tie the garters?

I'm starting on my first shoot (have always beaten before) this year and didn't want to go the whole hog tweed thing as had been warned by friends that it was pretty hot and wasn't sure what the trend was on this shoot.

So I've just bought some moleskin breeks and a similar shooing waistcoat also have a checked shirt and bought some socks and garters. Tried on last night and Mrs fell about laughing, aparently I look like a 50 year old farmer, what does she know. I've an old barbour I can wear when it's wet

Breeks were too long (half way down shin) so they have had to go back and have re-ordered some shorter ones.

Not sure about a tie any suggestions? Is it better to just have a plain one rather than ones with birds on that you see about the place?

So with breeks do these get tucked into your socks and wellies?

And how the hell do you tie the garters?

Pull your sock up over the knee and tie the garters/flashes in a simple hitch knot on the crease of your knee. Roll the top bit of the sock over to cover it and then let your breeks come to a rest on top of the sock.

Another for John Norris or Bob Parrat their kit is good value Breeks are much more comfortable with boots than trousers tucked in.

I wear moleskin breeks and a Tweed or Brown jacket to my bigger driven days no one has ever raised an eye brow to it.

My car on the other hand. :lol::lol::lol:

post-16198-0-19112600-1317285077.jpg

Edited by welshwarrior

Thanks Tis I have to admit I am really looking forward to it. The blokes on my shoot have been before and they all say it's a great day

The blokes on my shoot have been before and they all say it's a great day

There is your answer, what do your mates wear, those that have been before? they will tell you the dress code, and what to expect.

All shoots have different standards/expectations, some tradition some just for the sake of it.

It is very much akin to what you would wear when you go to work, if everyone wears jeans, jeans it is , if it is all about suits shirts and ties then so be it, and so on.

Forget about the snobbery comments, it is how you carry and manage yourself that will show in the end, and then if course if you are not a safe gun, it does not matter what you wear you will not be invited back.

By the way I live 10 minutes from Brocket Hall, it is a fantastic place to shoot and see.

Have a good day