what do you think of this??

semiautolee

Live pigeon shooting is the grandfather of modern day clay pigeon shooting (hence the 'pigeon' bit).

Whenever you see old guns advertised as 'pigeon' or 'live pigeon' guns, this is what they were designed for. I own a couple of live pigeon guns, one is a 10 bore percussion single and the other is an 11 bore flintlock single.

It is also why 'traps' are called traps.

The modern discipline of ZZ or Helice was invented to duplicate the erratic flight pattern of live pigeon shooting, and uses broadly the same rules.

All of the above said, would I do it if given the chance? No.

Live pigeon shooting is the grandfather of modern day clay pigeon shooting (hence the 'pigeon' bit).

Whenever you see old guns advertised as 'pigeon' or 'live pigeon' guns, this is what they were designed for. I own a couple of live pigeon guns, one is a 10 bore percussion single and the other is an 11 bore flintlock single.

The modern discipline of ZZ or Helice was invented to duplicate the erratic flight pattern of live pigeon shooting, and uses broadly the same rules.

ahh i see that explains it, some info i didnt no about :good:

I had seen that video before - I didn't bother watching it all the way throught then and I didn't this time either!

The shooting there was atrocious, most of the birds were only "winged" and left to suffer till they were picked up. If that's the best they can do they ought to try tiddly winks or something a little less skillful than shooting live quarry!

How were all of the pigeons in the crates caught? Surely if they wanted to show any degree of skill or classed themselves as "hunters" they could have tried decoying them?

In my opinion the sooner this "sport" (And I use the word SPORT very loosley) is banned the better, especially if those (Extremely inacurate) shooters were the best they could offer - Have they never heard of the term "Respect for your quarry"?

Just watched the video and found it absolutley pointless. I enjoy pigeon shooting myself, but what satisfaction can you pssibly get from shooting birds coming out of crates like that, and not one bird looked like it was cleanly hit.

:stupid: I just don't get it...

These are frequently discussed on the US forums and the general consensus is that the anti videos are deliberately doctored and shot in such a way as to misrepresent and falsely portray things in a negative light. It doesn't look doctored to me, you see kids picking up injured birds and without bothering to put them out of their misery, pile them in a heap in bins.

They are also meant to be frequented by the very best shots with nerves of steel, who regularly wins sums of £50k or more. To use living things for target practice and bet on the outcome is defended by saying the birds are vermin :rolleyes: .

The practice is banned here and much of the world, and over there it remains an invitation only event where dates and locations are guarded. That tells you all you need to know.

the people who edited this video are trying to get this banned so they are only going to show the shots where birds are injured,at that range i reckon alot of the birds were killed cleanly.

however i dont agree with using live animals as target practice but in a way this is the birth place of "trap" shooting, and in turn clay "pigeon" shooting. it was once a common practice but now clays are around there is absolutely no need for pointlesss murder.

Got to agree with everyone else on this one, a relic from the past not good to see in this day and age. :no:

Judging by the size of some of the lard ****s taking part its probably the only way they get to shoot live pigeon without suffering a heart attack stomping over farmland.

Also what is the bloke in the orange vest all about at 0:55? Could he possibly look any camper??

Edited by wayne78

firstly, this is not my cup of tea, but i think you need to be carefull as it could easily be compared to releasing game birds in this country and driving them to a flushing point and pinching them in to allow a steady stream of birds over the waiting guns. wouldnt be so bad if the birds were testing and not 10 foot of the ground

Edited by truckboy1

Not exactly the same but I know of at least one Gamekeeper who lines the guns at a good point and releases partridges from crates secreted along the beating line. the paying guns dont know S???, and probably dont care. I gave up beating there a long time ago, The Keeper is a well known rascal.

• 1 month later...

I agree well said

• 3 weeks later...

Live Pigeon Shooting was held only once in Olympic history, in 1900. The object of this event was to shoot and kill as many birds as possible. This was the first and only time in Olympic history when animals were killed on purpose. The birds were released in front of a participant and the winner was the competitor who shot down the most birds from the sky. The participant was eliminated once they missed two birds. Nearly 300 birds were killed. The event turned out to be quite messy in the end with dead or injured birds on the ground and blood and feathers all over the place. An award of 20,000 Francs was the prize for the winner, though the top four finishers agreed to split the winnings.

Results

1. Leon de Lunden (Belgium) 21 birds killed

2. Maurice Faure (France) 20 birds killed

3. Donald MacIntosh (Australia) 18 birds killed

Thankfully the Olympic committee of 1901 saw sense.. :yes: