teenagers board money

silpig5

ok peeps

what is the going rate of board nowadays ?

in my day there was no interweb , mobile phones or owt .

we had a little lock on the finger dialer and i had to bung mum some coppers to use it . nothing wrong with that , things was differant in the early 80's

so here is the question .

mobile phone is in my name , 25quid a month

interweb router is paid by me 17 quid a month

new scooter for 16th birthday

insurance paid in full but as a interest free loan , i expect 30 quid a month for that no questions .

he has a job of variable hours paying between 40 and 100 per week

and activly looking for full time work .

so here is the question . how much should a 16 year old pay ?

adi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as he's not earning much some weeks how about doing a percentage?

:good:

Probably the best way to do it. 20%-25% is pretty fair I reckon, and keep the £30 as a separate 'bill'.

I've got a lad at work who takes home between £300 - £350 and pays his mum £40 :o

Well, I say a lad, he's 28!! (and always skint). :no:

30% ....but what you should do is save this money up for him over the next few years and give him it as a starting block when he needs to buy his own place, the fact that he is working (unlike a lot of the 16year old now!) shows he has good moral fibre and is driven.

Also, if he asks for a loan you can unknowingly lend him his own money... :good:

Regards,

Gixer

30% ....but what you should do is save this money up for him over the next few years and give him it as a starting block when he needs to buy his own place, the fact that he is working (unlike a lot of the 16year old now!) shows he has good moral fibre and is driven.

Also, if he asks for a loan you can unknowingly lend him his own money... :good:

Regards,

Gixer

brilliant idea Gixer :good:

A quarter of my wage went to my parents when I first started earning. Moved out when I was 18.

I thought that was pretty fair, given my comfortable home, all washing done, ironing done, dishes washed, food, all bills taken care of.

All I had left to pay for was my car insurance, car maintenance, clothes, any booze I wanted, etc.

Back then, a month's wages would have been about £600, so £150 to the house.

i pay 40 a week out of 200 quid basic (overtime hours are what i keep and save with), but i pay for my phone, the net, and we all go in for sky, insurance i pay , and i had to buy my bike, and car and diesel. sounds like hes getting lucky if your paying his bills and buying him a ped. if your paying all that off id say £30 a week, and the other 30 is seperate and not included in the house keep. by the end of the week i have next to nothing left, if i have some left over it goes in the jar for chritmas, i generally chip in 50 a week.

My 18 year old son started full time work in August.

We not charged him board as yet.

thought we would let him have the first few months where what he earned was his ;)

But as from Jan he will be paying us £25 a week.

This will be for food,bed,and washing.

His phone and petol money is down too him .

Mind you his on a better wage then his poor old mum :blink: So i did make the suggestion that i paid board

and he pay the bills

He said no :rolleyes:

xxxxSuzy

My 18 year old son started full time work in August.

We not charged him board as yet.

thought we would let him have the first few months where what he earned was his ;)

But as from Jan he will be paying us £25 a week.

This will be for food,bed,and washing.

His phone and petol money is down too him .

Mind you his on a better wage then his poor old mum :blink: So i did make the suggestion that i paid board

and he pay the bills

He said no :rolleyes:

xxxxSuzy

with a Mum like you suzy your kids dont even know they were born x (means you look after them so well) I ve seen you cakes!!!!!

Mobile phone = make him get his own on PAYG, that way he pays for it not you, and he'll learn the value of what it costs to use.

The loan = As Is

The rest, :hmm: He's a child, a minor, surely you're responsible for him till he's a legal bona fide adult and can be expected to go out into the big wide world.

He sounds like a good lad, and if he's working already and actively looking for full time I wouldn't be discouraging him by taking to much off him.

Edited by TaxiDriver

I used to pay £50 a week + half of gas/leccy/phone

when i first started i used to get £7 plus pennies per week,

paid £2 board £2 for motorbike and the rest for living on, mind you beer was 29p per pint and petrol was 60 odd p per gallon

makes me feel old :no:

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860