shot in the foot

very embarrassing topic for me here guys. i shot myself in the foot on sunday 29/11/11 with a 17hmr rifle and have been in hospital ever since. i realise that im probably not the only one ever to have done this or worse but im sure not everybody would be as willing to tell the tale afterwards.

i want to tell you my story to see if we can figure out where i went wrong although i have a fair idea of my own.

on saturday 28/11/11 i went to bed around 10 oclock and set my alarm for 3 oclock. i got up and got my gear on, packed the car and set off to my mates house to go lamping. the reason for this is we had never tried early in the morning before and we were curious to see if there was any difference. any hoo, we set about our session and discovered that no there was no difference in the times (well not for rabbits anyway) both equally effective.

by 7 oclock in the morning nearing dawn we decided to call it a day. this is were it gets gorey!!! when im carrying my gun when lamping i normally have my clip in my pocket, bolt in the gun, and gun over my shoulder on a sling . when im finished lamping its the same only il have the bolt in my pocket also. when i unload the gun its always the same procedure too il take safety off, pull bolt back catching the ejected round, lift the clip out and then pull the bolt right back and press the trigger to release it all while pointing the gun at the ground. so why this time did i shoot myself in the foot while doing a proceedure that i have done so many times before.

after alot of head scatching myself and the doctor at the hospital have come to this conclusion. although i didnt feel tired that morning we think i was mentally tired causing me to muddle up the proceedure that really does become second nature to you of unloading the gun. unfortunately i cant confirm this as in the comotion and shock of this all i just cant be 100 percent sure no matter how many times i go over it in my head although it is the best explaination we can think of.

he went on to mention that most acidents happen through tiredness and fatigue, for example a high percentage of car accidents will happen first thing in the morning when you think your body is working fine but your mind is still on autopilot.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this one guys.

sorry for all the small print, im using one hand as i have a drip in the other.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

old bill have the rifle at the minute. i have a reference number and have to phone them when i get home. they took a statement and were happy enough it was an accident. i have pics and il put them up when i get home also. i wouldnt class pointing the gun at your foot as safe either but if your are goin to make mistake and misfire **** law says thats were its goin to be. :oops::oops::oops::no:

Firstly you clearly wernt pointing it at the floor being mindfull of the fact it was pointing at your foot, now thats obvoius.

Now you said: "procedure too il take safety off, pull bolt back catching the ejected round, lift the clip out and then pull the bolt right back and press the trigger to release it all while pointing the gun at the ground."

Is there any chance that when you did this part: "pull bolt back catching the ejected round, lift the clip out" Did you remove the mag or did you eject a round, fail to remove the mag and continue your sequence of returning the bolt and then pulling the trigger having cycled the next round into the chamber !

In future i would:

* ensure safety is on

* remove the mag

* in a safe direction remove the safty

* lift the bolt and slid to the rear catching the round

* remove the bolt from the rifle

* then relax the bolt (while its out of the rifle) ! ( i know this can be done on CZ`s, not sure what rifle you have though)

It goes to show that tiredness is a dangerous thing and that people do get complacent which also leads to accidents. A steep learning curve indeed !

Get well soon and lets hope you get back to feild sports ASAP !

Oh man! I was going to start this reply with a comment about being silly but no, it takes balls to admit to something like this so fair play to you!

I assume you must have pulled the trigger as if removing the bolt, but before you'd lifted the handle? Whatever happened I'm sure you've learnt a painful lesson and luckily (well kind of) it wasn't any worse. I usually remove the mag before I unload. Can't see as it would have made a difference in your case though as I recon you simply pulled the trigger to early!

It does reinforce my belief though that above all else, safety catches and whatever, muzzle awareness is the key to safety. You really shouldn't have had that thing pointing at your foot fella! :no:

Pictures would be good, and I hope you recover fully in time. :good:

trying hard to get the pics up for you but it wont let me put them up because they are too big. do any of you know how to resize.

Don't resize! You'll make it too hard to see..!

Visit http://tinypic.com and host the image there. Once uploaded the image will have a link. Paste the code into the body of your message

:good:

Edited by Billy.