shot in the foot

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love the marker pen arrow...I had one of the for my eye on Monday...helps them make sure its the right part :good:

Surgeon once asked me which of my sons testicles needed decending as he couldn't read the writing on the chart!, told him that if he couldn't read it I wasn't happy about him doing the operation at all!.

I know an experienced keeper and stalker who shot himself in the foot with a .270. He was in the landrover at the time.

Well done for highlighting the dangers of complacency. I see over confidence as the major danger (not in your case but in general). Muzzle awareness is the key.

reminds me of this thread from a while back.... My link

That reminds me of a mate of mine, who was riding his motor bike down a country road. A piece of fence wire must of been sticking out into the road the wire cut through his moter bike boots, cleanly cutting off his little toe and then proceded to cut through the alteranotor cover dumping oil every whare, he neverr found the toe.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

to be honest when i got the welly off i expected worse guys.

the importance of this thread was for me to show how accidents still happen when you think you are being cautious. ive learned the hard way and have swallowed my pride to put this thread up in the hope that we can all learn a lesson as to how easy something can happen when we least expect it.

and that took balls to do, so good on ya! hope you heal well :good:

Really bad that mate, hope you get a full recovery. I think tiredness has played a bit aprt in this. Its amazing how much differenc eit can make to your judgement after a long sesssion...Think about driving and why there are some many signs up on the roads about pulling over and taking a break..The only signs you get when your out lamping are your own personal signs of tiredness. Get used to them and fine tune your routine so that its safe at all times no matter what. When we are out lamping and move from one spot to another we remind each other "SAFETY ON" and same at end of session, safe rifle procedure. ATB Steve

Fair play to you for sharing this with everyone on here, the only thing i can say fella, and im sure you have thought this through over and over, is the very first action that you must carry out when unloading a rifle is OFF MAGAZINE, that way you take all of the rounds (with exeption of the one in the chamber if a round has been chambered) away from the rifle, and then you can remove the round safely from the chamber in the normal manor ensuring that you can see the round eject and if possible with your headlamp or torch just have a quick butchers down the chamber to see that the round has been safely removed before releaseing/forwarding the bolt and firing off the action.

In the armed forces we have the occasional (quite rare to be honest) negligent discharge from a rifle, and in almost every case it has happened whilst unloading, and like your doctor stated tiredness plays a major part in all of this, this is because the MAGAZINE HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED in the first instance.

I do hope that you make a full recovery and thanks for sharing this, im sure there have been several near misses within our shooting community that just goes unheard, this sort of thing has probably happened to a few people, just unfortunately for you the muzzle was pointing at your plates

Fair play to you for sharing this with everyone on here, the only thing i can say fella, and im sure you have thought this through over and over, is the very first action that you must carry out when unloading a rifle is OFF MAGAZINE, that way you take all of the rounds (with exeption of the one in the chamber if a round has been chambered) away from the rifle, and then you can remove the round safely from the chamber in the normal manor ensuring that you can see the round eject and if possible with your headlamp or torch just have a quick butchers down the chamber to see that the round has been safely removed before releaseing/forwarding the bolt and firing off the action.

In the armed forces we have the occasional (quite rare to be honest) negligent discharge from a rifle, and in almost every case it has happened whilst unloading, and like your doctor stated tiredness plays a major part in all of this, this is because the MAGAZINE HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED in the first instance.

I do hope that you make a full recovery and thanks for sharing this, im sure there have been several near misses within our shooting community that just goes unheard, this sort of thing has probably happened to a few people, just unfortunately for you the muzzle was pointing at your plates

The above is spot on advice.

Remove the source of the ammunition before cycling the action. No1 cause of Nd's is the reverse.

Tiredness,distraction and relaxed familiarity with weapon handling spells disaster.

get well soon

fuddster

Edited by Fuddster

The above is spot on advice.

Remove the source of the ammunition before cycling the action. No1 cause of Nd's is the reverse.

Tiredness,distraction and relaxed familiarity with weapon handling spells disaster.

get well soon

fuddster

gutted for the op but to be fair my stint in the forces (2 years in Ireland when it was nasty) not one solider had an nd, and we did a lot of patrols some lasting 4/5 days ,any one who doesn't unload there weapon correctly should not be shooting simple (not saying the op doesn't know )Tiredness,distraction and relaxed familiarity with weapon there not excuses in my eyes, if ya tired don't go its not a job, relaxed familiarity with weapon you should not be using it,hope you get better soon and well done for sharing with us all like Ive said not having a go at the op, some may say i was