Help with goose

alendil

Hello

i dont know if this is the right place for the post.

My frend has field close to the road. every jan/feb river is flooding area and this field atracting flocks of geese.He ask me if i can sort them out.

Now for the legal part what ammo to use ( its in north yorkshire in dales)

non klead or lead is ok .

12b or rifle.

is it ok to take them on ground or only in the air.

any help will be appriciated.

Thank You

If they're all legal quarry species get up early and bung some goose decoys out, wait for the sunrise and the morning flight and you and a couple of mates using non toxic shot have some goose decoying ( obviously being weary of the roads etc). People pay to do this and trust me

You will enjoy it. Dont shoot them at silly ranges and aim to shoot the head :good: and make sure they are in season.........they can be shot on the general licence (canadas) but if their are other geese with them not worth the risk out of season. You have until jan 31st although some areas can get an extension into feb but I think this has to be applied for.

Just make sure your identifying them well. Have a look on basc website thier is a list of quarry species there.

Edited by mpk

if its canada, which are easily identifiable, and your doing it for pest control, then get another shooter or two, preferbly with auto's (3 shot) and take them on the ground, dont listen to any of this sporting talk, take as many as poss before they take flight, myself and shooting partner regularly cull canadians at a fisheries, were there to do a job, simple as that, we can normal get 12 between the two of us before they take flight, job done, and dispite what some say, canadian goose breast is good to eat, so breast all shot, fillet each breast and dispose of the carcase

hello mate. 12 gauge threes/fours steel 32gram. do the sporting thing and take them in flight.put a few decoys out and stay well hidden and call the rest back.works every time with canadas . if you shoot a couple early doors put them out with stick under there neck for next skeins coming in (fatal) i use above shells all the time on foreshore no probs.hope this helps.

Hello mate

I use to do a lot of Canada goose shooting down south in Surrey for a number of years.

Lots of good comments here, i've included a few tips:

I would use a 12 bore shotgun that has a 3inch chamber and has steel proof barrels ( don't worry if it's not, I can give advise if you have different)

I would recommend that you use game bore mammoth steel no1 36 gram shot ( good cheap ammo that will do the job )

You will need to gain some very important info on the geese. ( learn their habits i.e what time do they like to come to the field, what time do they like to leave the field, which way do they like to fly in and out of the field ( wind direction does have an effect on this) you will learn very quickly how they do their business.

Buy some decoys, say 12 minimum and set them out in a suitable area depending on the info above.

Set a hide up near by and then you will achieve a lot of success.

I now live in north Yorkshire in catterck.

Out a least one a week shooting in the area, and I'm glad to come and help you out, even if it just to set things up.

I still have all my equipment for the task.

Regards

Hello

i dont know if this is the right place for the post.

My frend has field close to the road. every jan/feb river is flooding area and this field atracting flocks of geese.He ask me if i can sort them out.

Now for the legal part what ammo to use ( its in north yorkshire in dales)

non klead or lead is ok .

12b or rifle.

is it ok to take them on ground or only in the air.

any help will be appriciated.

Thank You

Stubby is talking some sense, I have no interest, and DON'T shoot Canada Geese for sport, my Canada shooting is Pest Control.

A 12g with appropriate carts is good, but so too is a .22lr with subs if you can get in a good position to place the shot well. A .22lr will knock down a Canada easily and is quiet, so you can get a few, there are NO lead issues with rifles and Canada's!

I take loads more Canada's on the Ground than in the air!

:yes::good:

PS

Larger calibre rifles are also very good but tend to make more noise/mess, although they can give you more range the bag will usually be smaller!

PPS

The Canada can eat VERY well, probably better from the farm/Golf course/stables/etc than from the local tip!