cutting down a shotgun barrel

timc20xe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much length would you have to cut off a barrel just to remove the choke?

All the pigeon shooting books seem to recommend open chokes and short barrels so i could see the advantage of a 25 or 26 inch open open choked gun in a pigeon hide.

Does anyone remember the 25 inch Churchill guns?

I am sure that some of these Churchill guns were just sawn off for fashion.

How long are the chokes ? Thats then answer.

This is an interesting post I have a Mossberg 500 pump that I have often considered cutting back to 25" but never done it because did not know the legal position. Seems its not a problem, may just do it.

Why not sell your longer barrel and buy a shorter one there are loads about or contact:-

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk

368 Main Road, Westerham Hill, Westerham, Kent TN16 2HN

Telephone: 01959 573089 Fax: 01959 575590 E-mail: hushpower@btinternet.com as he has quite a few in stock and would probably do a RFD transfer rather than chance mucking up your present barrel also depending on what one you got there is the advantage of having one with choke's.

As for the OP as long as the end of the barrel is struck off square with no burs at no shorter than 24 inches and lightly polished I cant see a problem.

Why not sell your longer barrel and buy a shorter one there are loads about or contact:-

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk

368 Main Road, Westerham Hill, Westerham, Kent TN16 2HN

Telephone: 01959 573089 Fax: 01959 575590 E-mail: hushpower@btinternet.com as he has quite a few in stock and would probably do a RFD transfer rather than chance mucking up your present barrel also depending on what one you got there is the advantage of having one with choke's.

As for the OP as long as the end of the barrel is struck off square with no burs at no shorter than 24 inches and lightly polished I cant see a problem.

I contacted Saddlery and Gunroom some time ago only has 28" barrels with multi chokes at something over £200. Other than that have only seen one Mossberg 24" barrel fixed choke IC. So not much about really, plenty on other side of pond but that would be a pain to get it in to UK. My current barrel is cylinder choke anyway so cutting 3" off will just make it easier to handle in hides etc. Could try the wanted section on here I suppose. Any way thanks for your input.

I have a 24" barrelled semi and find it very quick to point and handle.

It is a multi choke - though mostly just stick with 1/4 choke for everything.

I was toying with chopping an old OU down to 24"and a bit for use on skeet so full cylinder would not be a problem.

Anyone done this?

This is an interesting post I have a Mossberg 500 pump that I have often considered cutting back to 25" but never done it because did not know the legal position. Seems its not a problem, may just do it.

If it end's up less than 40" overall including the stock it magically turn's into a section 5 firearm.

If you're cutting a single barrel down with a hacksaw, you can put a jubilee clip around the barrel, nip it up and use it as a guide. If you cut down the edge of the clip, you will get a square cut. I cut my single barrel fourten down to 24:1/2 inch. It was full choke before but it shoots better now.

I used a angle grinder with a cutting blade quick and easy, but make sure you stay over 24" on a single or double no worries re overall length, but semi and pump must be over 34"! I think need to check home office guide lines :lol: One thing I will say is that I recently had my renewal and my FLO was going to take it off me till we looked through the Home office guide lines and showed him the section that dealt with length etc so I would make sure you have this to hand. Mine stuck out like a sore thumb as I not only cut down the barrel, but also cut the stock down to the pistol grip! :innocent:

section from the

Guide on Firearms Licensing Law

November 2013

“Shotgun” means a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which:

a)has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter. The length of the barrel is measured from the muzzle to the point of ignition (breech face). For a muzzle-loading gun, the point of ignition may be taken as the touch-hole or nipple that is nearest to the breach;either has no magazine or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges (see paragraphs 2.13, 2.14 and 2.15 for further information). It should be noted that a gun that has been adapted to have such a magazine only meets this criterion if the magazine bears an approved mark and the

adaptation has been certified in writing either by one of the two Proof Houses or by such other person as the Secretary of State has designated, as having been carried out in a manner approved by the Secretary of State; and c) is not a revolver gun (that is, a gun containing a series of chambers, which revolve as part of the firing cycle).

When considering the classification of smooth-bore guns, special attention must be paid to the length of the barrel and the overall length. With the exception of those chambered for .22

rimfire cartridges, section 1(2) of the 1988 Act raised to the prohibited category (see Chapter 3) all self-loading and pump-action models which are either short-barrelled (under 24 inches)

or short in overall length (under 40 inches). For the purpose of calculating overall length any detachable, retractable or other movable butt-stock should be disregarded. References to

‘shotguns’ in the 1968 Act may be taken generally to mean section 2 shotguns, rather than those subject to sections 1 and 5 of the 1968 Act, unless otherwise stated.

2.9 While overall length is not a relevant factor in regard to the classification of traditional single and double-barrelled smooth-bore guns and repeating shotguns with a bolt or lever-action, any such guns with barrels under 24 inches in length are subject to control under section 1 of the 1968 Act. Also controlled under section 1 is any repeating shotgun, not otherwise prohibited by virtue of its barrel length or overall length, with a magazine capacity in excess

of two cartridges.

Edited by straightshooter1

I contacted Saddlery and Gunroom some time ago only has 28" barrels with multi chokes at something over £200. Other than that have only seen one Mossberg 24" barrel fixed choke IC. So not much about really, plenty on other side of pond but that would be a pain to get it in to UK. My current barrel is cylinder choke anyway so cutting 3" off will just make it easier to handle in hides etc. Could try the wanted section on here I suppose. Any way thanks for your input.

When I bought my last 500 last year he had several second hand 24 inch cylinder choke barrels out the back for 6 shot length mags, whether he still has them I don't know you could give him another bell.

• 6 years later...
On 11/12/2011 at 00:53, bruno22rf said:

Unless you have bought the gun new,how would anybody ever know? I've bought several cheap guns over the years (normally Baikals) that are choked far too tight for my needs and simply cut the barrels down,an inch or so at a time,till the chokes are where I want them.Asked my local dealer about this and he said that the gun would require re-proofing but others I have spoken to say that this is Bullpoop.

Thread revival... If you cut off say an inch of barrel, will they just reduce the choke or take them out completely? 

I’ve got a cheap SxS choker 1/2 and FULL and it’s not worth paying to have the chokes opened up by a smith. 

If I cut off an inch would they be Cyl/Cyl or not? 🤔

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thread revival... If you cut off say an inch of barrel, will they just reduce the choke or take them out completely? 

I’ve got a cheap SxS choker 1/2 and FULL and it’s not worth paying to have the chokes opened up by a smith. 

If I cut off an inch would they be Cyl/Cyl or not? 🤔

Probably not 

you have to measure the inside of the barrel to find out how much taper is on the choke cones.