recommend me cartridges for pheasant shooting

ilovemyheckler

i am going on my first driven pheasant day in a couple of weeks but I am at a loss to know what cartridges to take. I don't want to make a fool of myself by turning up with the wrong cartridges - I am sure that my shooting will do that for me!

I will be using a 12b o/u

so;

what shot size? 6's?

28g/32g or other?

Lead or steel shot? I had assumes lead

plastic or fibre wad - what's the difference

Make?

Thanks

Hull High Pheasant No 5s 30gram. Soft on the shoulder but has the power to kill any pheasant if you can use the gun.

The plastic wad is photo-degradable and will breakdown in sunlight. Perfect. It's not the most popular game cartridge for nothing.

Stick your 1/4 and 1/2 chokes in and enjoy. ;)

I just go into the gunshop and say ill have the cheapest cartridge you do in this loading.

Eley, RC, Gamebore, Lyvale are all much the same, performance wise.

Shot size would be either 6's or 5's; personally prefer 6's, but will use 5's if im shooting at long range or at very close feathered birds that you usually find during the cold spells at the end of the season.

I would say anywhere between 28g-32g for shot weight.

I have a lightweight Beretta and i only use 28g, usually 6 shot through that, which is usually more than enough for driven pheasant.

If there are to be testing birds ill take a heavier gun and use 32g of 5 shot, that will stop a pheasant in its tracks.

Fiber wads are more eco/animal friendly, however can also be more expensive.

If you want a recomendation

Either Eley Hi Flyer

Gamebore Super Game Hi Bird

RC2 Competition

All good cartridge choices

Lead is for definate, unless youre shooting on a SSSI.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Beretta

No 5s in your choice of 30g plus for January birds as they are that big bigger and better feathered.

My choice is Black Gold or any Hull cart in 32 g 5 fibre wad preferably after trying five different carts in one day mixed in cart bag,if I done my bit the black gold folded them.

I hate to follow the crowd with the big players and prefer to suport smaller manufacturers and was using Caledonian xl carts in 30g 6 and love them but the birds this day shook then flew on till I give it a black gold 5,prob the shot size that done it but I'll stick with them now.

Just try some and find what you like as it's personal preference for most people and what suits there gun.

ATB figgy

Take whatever you usually use, ideally these should be felt wadded or bio degradable plastic.

Its no time to be getting used to brand new cartridge. Most driven game is shot at pretty close ranges especially on commercial shoots, I peg my guns at 60 yards plus but have stood on commercial shoots only 30 yards from the next peg. Not a lot gets through the line in that situation as 3 guns can easily reach every bird, that suits the letting agent !!.

If you are a dedicated clay man and have nothing below 8 shot then use 30gr of 5s over a felt wad, Eley Grand Prix is ideal and will deal with anything out to over 50 yards given a bit of choke. If you are using a multichoke then put Imp or 1/4 in one barrel and 1/2 in the other.

Good luck and above all ENJOY your day.

A

• 2 weeks later...