POLL: Which Charity for the 2012 Charity Shoot

Teal

Which Charity  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Which Charity for the 2012 shoot- please read first post for more information on the charities

• Different Strokes
    • Orchid Cancer
    • Canine Partners
    • Alzheimer's Society
    • Macmillan Cancer Support

2012PWNorthVsSouthLogosmall.png Which Charity for the 2012 Pigeon Watch NvS Shoot 2012PWNorthVsSouthLogosmall.png

I have written a little bit of background information on the five most popular charities from the original topic, and also links to their respective websites where you can read more about them.

A lot of people have suggested that whilst all Charities do excellent work, a donation of our scale may be more appreciated and make more of a difference at one of the smaller charities. Therefore for reference I have included the income of the Charities here. The smallest charity is Different Strokes which received last year £295,000, Orchid Cancer got £895,000, Canine Partners £2.09 million, the Alzheimer's Society got more than £60 million, and Macmillan Cancer Support more than £133 million. (information from: http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk ).

Different Strokes

TO HELP STROKE SURVIVORS OF BELOW RETIREMENT AGE OPTIMISE THEIR RECOVERY & TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR LIVES BY OFFERING REHABILITATIVE SERVICES, INFORMATION & ADVICE.

http://www.differentstrokes.co.uk/

Orchid Cancer

ORCHID'S AIM IS TO PROMOTE GREATER KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS OF PROSTATE, TESTICULAR AND PENILE CANCER BY FUNDING RESEARCH INTO THE PREVENTION, DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF THESE DISEASES. ALONGSIDE RESEARCH, ORCHID RUNS EDUCATION AND AWARENESS CAMPAIGNS AND OFFERS AN EXTENSIVE RANGE OF SERVICES TO PEOPLE AFFECTED BY OR INTERESTED IN MALE SPECIFIC CANCERS.

http://www.orchid-cancer.org.uk/

Canine Partners

TRAINING OF ASSISTANCE DOGS TO SUPPORT AND HELP PEOPLE WITH SEVERE DISABILITIES ENJOY GREATER INDEPENDENCE AND A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE AND, WHERE POSSIBLE, HELP THEM INTO EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT. ALSO TO SUPPORT THE PARTNERSHIP ONCE GRADUATED THROUGHOUT THE WORKING LIFE OF THE DOG ALWAYS BEING MINDFUL OF ITS WELLBEING.

http://www.caninepartners.co.uk/

Alzheimer's Society

ALZHEIMER'S SOCIETY STAFF AND VOLUNTEERS PROVIDE SERVICES TO PEOPLE AFFECTED BY DEMENTIA, INCLUDING DAY CARE AND HOME CARE, SUPPORT AND BEFRIENDING SERVICES ACROSS ENGLAND, WALES AND NORTHERN IRELAND. WE PROVIDE INFORMATION AND TRAINING, AND EVERY YEAR WE INVEST IN RESEARCH. WE CAMPAIGN FOR THE RIGHTS OF PEOPLE WITH DEMENTIA AND THOSE WHO CARE FOR THEM.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Macmillan Cancer Support

MACMILLAN CANCER SUPPORT EXISTS TO HELP IMPROVE THE LIVES OF PEOPLE AFFECTED BY CANCER - THOSE WITH CANCER AND THEIR FAMILIES, CARERS AND COMMUNITIES. WE ARE A SOURCE FOR SUPPORT, HELPING ANYONE AFFECTED BY CANCER NAVIGATE THROUGH THE SYSTEM TO GET WHAT THEY NEED, AND A FORCE FOR CHANGE, WORKING TO IMPROVE CANCER CARE.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to support Tam/petethegeek's suggestion by voting for Different Strokes :good:

I think you'll find that your score has just gone up by five clays...

I've just come off the phone with Different Strokes who are very enthusiastic and have already made some suggestions as to how they can help with the day were they to be chosen. Watch this space.

Edited by petethegeek

I think you'll find that your score has just gone up by five clays...

I've just come off the phone with Different Strokes who are very enthusiastic and have already made some suggestions as to how they can help with the day were they to be chosen. Watch this space.

Be good to get the charity involved and a smallish charity at that :hmm:

Sorted :good:

A delightful lady called Debbie from Different Strokes has asked me to post the following couple of paragraphs to expand on the slightly terse description of Different Strokes in Teal's OP. (I believe she may be joining the forum in order to introduce herself at some point in the near future.)

•  
  • "Most people think that strokes only happen to older people, but 25% of them occur in people of working age or children - that's nearly 40,000 people every year in the UK. Someone may be fit and well one day, working and supporting themselves and their family and the next being hit by the consequences of a stroke. These include physical disabilities, depression, fatigue, feelings of isolation, visual problems, language difficulties, memory loss, and difficulties in processing information. All these problems come at once. Stroke can be truly devastating and can cause problems going to school or work, and in relationships with family and friends."

• "Different Strokes is a small national charity which was set up by younger stroke survivors in 1996 and is still largely managed and staffed by younger stroke survivors. It provides exercise classes, information, advice, guidance and support to help people deal with the consequences of a stroke. As younger stroke survivors themselves, the people at Different Strokes know what services and support people need."

different_strokes_small.gif

Edited by petethegeek

Thanks to all of you who have voted for Different Strokes. We are a small charity (7 part-time staff and 8 volunteers in our office and about 100 volunteers around the UK organising our weekly exercise classes) and so being chosen to benefit from this event would make a big difference to us.

Debbie

I find it hard to believe that with all the members we have on Pigeon Watch, and all the good cause comments we have over the year, that only 83 people have voted on the charity of choice poll.

If I remember correctly we had in excess of 50 shooters at the Event last year, don't tell me that there are so few that care.

Edited by bakerboy

What's the big deal? :blink:

Only a small minority of the vast "membership" are active and only a small percentage of them read anything to do with clay shooting.

83 is plenty to get an idea of the opinion of those whose opinion matters. :rolleyes:

I agree 83 is more than enough to form an opinion.

I just would have hoped that more would take a more active interest

I find it hard to believe that with all the members we have on Pigeon Watch, and all the good cause comments we have over the year, that only 83 people have voted on the charity of choice poll.

If I remember correctly we had in excess of 50 shooters at the Event last year, don't tell me that there are so few that care.

Terry, should the numbers in the vote not correspond to the numbers that are going to attend??

Would you rather that 50-80 attend but a load more people who don't attend cast a vote?

Terry, should the numbers in the vote not correspond to the numbers that are going to attend??

Would you rather that 50-80 attend but a load more people who don't attend cast a vote?

Hi Matt

You are correct of course :yes: , those that are attending should and most probably have voted, and from those people the decision should be made.

Too much time on my hands, but obviously I am not using the time well enough, silly old fool :lol:

I don't wish to split hairs, but it's anyone intending to contribute, not just those attending the shoot.

In the past, some of the largest contributions have come from those who don't attend.

Might as well flick the shoot off and just stick up a Justgiving page then eh?