His First "FIVE"

Picked up DB 08.00 Friday and we headed out to the new permission we obtained last week. When we arrived there were about eighty birds in the trees and none joining so we set up.We shot steadily for about an hour then it happened, DB obtained a A391 about twelve months ago in that time he has had a few "FOURS" that is three shots four birds down. so we had about eight birds coming in at once first shot, two down, second shot , one down , third shot two down, WOW!!.

To his credit they were not flappers just winged they were all stoned. Anyway after two hours it went dead and we moved on. We went onto a rape field that we have shot before but the birds normally move off. While we were shooting we noticed that all the farms around had gas guns going off and this kept the birds returning. We ended the day with a total of one hundred and twenty two.

08.00 Saturday saw us driving in the oposite direction looking for birds we looked and looked nothing on the Rape some on the clover( two's and three's). Eventually we saw a small group in a small group of trees on the edge of a rape field.So we agreed to give it a go as we walked over to the field about twenty lifted off the field so we set up and waited for them to return. They came back in one's and two's but would not decoy but all stayed very high and they were testing shots but very enjoyable we picked up forty eight at the end of the day.

08.00 Monday, we had seen the weather forcast and it said it would be foggy and then cloudy and we went to a field that you can only shoot with certain weather conditions as it has a church on one side and houses on the other side of a five acre field. What you have to do is build your hide on the edge of a tall hedge and place your decoys about forty yards out under the power cables that cross the field then let the birds come over your head and shoot at them going away. The big problem is the hedge at your back is so thick you never see them comming so it is reaction/reflex shooting. Epecially when DB say's Don't miss this one !!!!!

We stayed for about two hours then the sun was in our eyes so we moved to another field that I had seen birds on last week and DB had not so I wanted to prove to him that there was a flight line across the rape at the end of the field. When we arrived not a bird in sight, we saw the farmer to seee if it had been shot and he said not since we shot it last. So we took the gamble and drove to the rape and at the far edge about fifty lifted off so we set up.After about twenty minutes two had returned so I said I would walk round to the other rape field and keep them on the move. As I got to the other field it lifted about one hundred birds so I shot one going over high and lost it in the rape. I stayed for about ten minutes and could hear DB shooting so I made my way back, and as if by magic the flight line I had told DB about was constant for the next three hours. We ended the day with ninety seven. What a great weekend.

March2012001.jpg

March2012002.jpg

March2012003.jpg