Sore shoulder

What bore gun are you using 12 or 20 and what load shells are you firing?

Dropping to a lighter load could make all the difference to the shoulder as can dry mounting your gun in front of a mirror to make sure you are doing it correctly.

Ben

I suprised topgunner hasnt got a raw shoulder after shooting all those woodies with 36gms!! :blush:

Maybe he has? :blush:

SS

Stupidsalmon:

You have obviously never met Topgunner. With the size of him I am sure that you could put a 10 guage in his hands and he would fire it all day aswell. The man is a giantand the 12 looks like a toy in his mitts.

:blush::good::good::good:

NTTF aka.......Dwarf

What gun are you using - I would suggest that you switch to a semi-auto as the felt recoil is a lot less.

Don

i disagree, just lighten your load 28g as said by the other lads, if every body that used a o/u had a sore shoulder they would not sell many would they?

not everyone gets on with s/a the lower recoil can be a trade off for handling for a lot of shooters.

plinker

• 4 weeks later...
I am shooting a 12G using Eley 32grm HB Pigeon.

A friend also suggest I start using Gambore clear pigeon 30grms, as these will have a lower re-coil.

Thanks for your tip :no:

Hi, there's a rule of thumb (used by gun-smiths) regarding weight of gun and load size. As a general rule, the gun should weigh x96 times the shell load. I use an AYA SS and it weighs about 6 & 1/2 lbs so a 28gram load is fine (you have to know what the Imperial equivilant is of course). I know some swear by 30 & 32 gram shells but if you use that sort of load your gun has to be heavier to absorb the recoil, its a simple as that really. And, mounting the gun correctly of course, as we all sometimes shoot a bit too soon in a pigeon hide. Good luck, Clipper.

• 2 weeks later...

I find a Semi takes a fair amount of recoil out of your shot.

My Franchi's use a recoil action to cycle (the barrel moves back under spring tention) to cycle and THIS takes a lot of recoil out but feels weird the first time you use it ;)

I was so impressed with the first i bought another :good:

I still prefer a O/U but IF i get an invite to go out for a days pigeon clouting i would take the semi.

Like someone else has pointed out DON'T spend 3 days shooting you greedy so n so :lol:

Get someone else in to help you.

Like me if i lived close enough :oops:

LG

• 1 month later...

A better solution I think would be to have the stock remoulded to fit your shooting style - if you drop the stock, you'll have to adjust your aiming syle or you'll shoot too high every time. If you have a crook-down stock (ie more bend in it) so it sits further down your shoulder when you take to aiming, it'll just drop right on in there where it's supposed to be and your pit crease will take the kick instead of the meat of your shoulder or your collarbone.

The advice you were given about changing from Eley HB to clear pigeon 30gm was good. I shot 150 clear pigeon 30gm and 75 of the HBs 32gm last Thursday as did my shooting partner. niether of us is particularly recoil sensetive but we both noted that the HBs seemed to kick much harder than the clear pigeon.

The HBs were excellent carts and smashed crows but niether of us liked them as they were not nice to shoot.

The Clear Pigeon were equally excellent carts and also smashed crows but were far easier on the shoulder and you can definately shoot them all day. I use them routinely for most of my shooting.

I was surprised at the difference in recoil between the two especially as I generally dont mind 32gm carts.

If you go down to 28gm as the others have suggested then the recoil will be less again.

Felt recoil is a personal thing and everyone feels it differently. Its worth trying a few different carts/load weights and seeing what you get on with best and which ones you have the most confidence in.

Leeboy

Sound advice from Leeboy, try different shells in your gun and see how you get on. I have some Hull Sterling Fibres in 28g that kick less than Saga 24g fibres. Tried a load of different stuff before a simulated game day last month and found the best for me on clays was Gamebore XLR 24g Fibres. Shot loads and had no problems.

Ft