C'mon then tell me your secret for good gravy

harrycatcat1

I'm a scraper big time but it can always be helped with a little bit of bisto or oxo if the flavour's not coming through strong enough or you've not enough gravy for all diners.

Am a bit of a stock fiend as well - The freezer is chocka full of reduced home made stocks that really add deep flavour.

Cook meat on trivet (chopped veg ) with select herb. remove meat to rest after cooking, bung meat pan on hob get it sizzling add red/white wine. Mash veg and scrape pan whilst on the heat to get as much flavour then add 2 tablespoons of plain flour, salt and pepper. Add stock or water if it is the flavour you like then drain through a sieve.

I made roast chicken and did it this way but poured a little maple syrup on the chicken before cooking with lots of rosemary. Sounds wierd but is very nice. :good:

Cook meat on trivet (chopped veg ) with select herb. remove meat to rest after cooking, bung meat pan on hob get it sizzling add red/white wine. Mash veg and scrape pan whilst on the heat to get as much flavour then add 2 tablespoons of plain flour, salt and pepper. Add stock or water if it is the flavour you like then drain through a sieve.

I made roast chicken and did it this way but poured a little maple syrup on the chicken before cooking with lots of rosemary. Sounds wierd but is very nice. :good:

Cook out the flour first though - Give it at least 5 mins on the heat and keep stirring like billyo!!

Maple syrup is also the nuts on roast veg.

Plenty of onion and garlic (unpeeled), carrots and celery under the trivet in the roasting pan. I rub plenty of black pepper, flour and mustard powder into the beef. Roast away, and the whole lot caramelises nicely. Once beef cooked, cover beef, then add juices to pan. Add cooking water which originally par-boiled potatoes then same water cooked veg. Full of flavour and loveliness. Bring to boil on stove whilst scraping like crazy. Very rarely needs anything else.

I'm also a traditionalist when it comes to gravy and will take a lot of time and effort to make it just right and thicken it to perfection with a little corn flour

Or to add a little twist thicken it with some paxo stuffing granules

If you need a speedy gravy then knorr stockpots come close chuck a couple in a pan with a little water and 2 oxo cubes once mixed add a bit more water to suit then thicken with cornflour .

My Nan (God bless her) made superb gravy, she would buy a piece suet fat and stick on top of the roasting meat then cook, and make gravy from the resulting juices. Totally bad for your health, :o but the taste really was something else! :good:

Tight Lines

Aled

If you are cooking a roast, pour the juices off the roast into a pan, add a little water from the vedgetables, start to simmer it, take it off the heat, tip the pan to one side and gently spoon off the oil or fat, put back on the heat, add cornflour already mixed with water slowly and keep stiring all the time, then chuck in a little red wine or a slug of sherry.........serve!

im a meat juice inc the onions and mixed herbs (cherry toms if beef) , veg juice from steamer , a little beef granules a little chicken granules and the batter mix left over from yorkies .

never fails to be tasty

oh , and sometimes i blitz it all with the hand blender to give a smooth onion gravy .

Edited by silpig5

im a meat juice inc the onions and mixed herbs (cherry toms if beef) , veg juice from steamer , a little beef granules a little chicken granules and the batter mix left over from yorkies .

never fails to be tasty

oh , and sometimes i blitz it all with the hand blender to give a smooth onion gravy .

if you are doing roast lamb, for the last 10 mins coat it with redcurrant jelly.....and serve with fresh home made out of your garden mint sauce, chopped mint sugar and vinegar, sherried carrots are great too, mashed carrots,butter black pepper, and a good tott of sherry (sweet) mix and serve.....really good with pheasant..

Chicken gravy= boil an old chicken carcus for 4 hours. Pick out bones. Then you have gravy.

Beef= get some bones from butchers. Boil them again. Put in some onion or garlic and reduce it down. Then you have a good beef gravy/stock.

Works a treat but takes a while.

I dread to think what horrors I'd have to eat if I did that

Oops. (Kevlar do great body Armour)

Gravy wise.

Fry a few onions, add some garlic.

Add a generous slug of port.

Add meat juices.

Add Paxo Sage 'n' Onion mix.

Depending on what meat is being cooked you can add a oxo cube.

Stir.

This is very nice gravy, especially with venison. If you dont have much meat juices use half a bottle of red wine instead and leave out the port but add OXO!

Mother did use to do a cider gravy and that was loverly!

Scrape the pan after using a trivet of onions, garlic and lots of carrots ( these are what add a real sweetness and body when caramelise). Be sure to properly cook out your flour and then slowly add a good quality reduced beef stock. Finally it's time for the real secret ingredient to a flavoursome gravy a good splash of hendersons relish ;) but don't tell anybody :yp: or my secret will be out

Nick

Chop an onion finely, add tbsp of brown sugar to it and leave for 20 mins. Fry in a tbsp of corn/sunflower oil until browned not golden, nearly burned. Add enough flour (and a 1/2 tsp of mustard powder) to create a roux. as this starts to bubble add HOT STOCK a ladle full at a time, 3 dashes of Worcester sauce and a couple of stripped sprigs of thyme until you get a nice thick gravy. If you don`t like the onions in it just whiz with a stick blender or processor.

Ref: stock, use good stock and get good gravy use cack stock and get cack gravy simples!