Art found behind plaster on house wall

whitehackle

Hi.

This is a good quality painting - the light and shade and the perspective are very good.

There is no doubt it would be of interest to a local historical society and someone locally who knows about art.

I also think its good enough to be of wider interest. I would e-mail this picture to the local county town council - archaeology department with a copy to director of leisure (looks after art galleries). Make a ssure as you can that it isnt damaged as its value is undoubted. it will need some protection from the sun and, because it may dry out as a result of exposing it. I would cover it with a sheet of glass after taking the pics to send.

I know it sounds a bit ott but I would copy the e-mail, photos and history of discovery, address etc to the Ashmolian museum in Oxford and ask them if they can shed any light on the painter.

It is quite a good production and probably historically accurate it seems too inventive to be a manufactured image, more likely a copied one/memorised.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Kes

Hi.

This is a good quality painting - the light and shade and the perspective are very good.

There is no doubt it would be of interest to a local historical society and someone locally who knows about art.

I also think its good enough to be of wider interest. I would e-mail this picture to the local county town council - archaeology department with a copy to director of leisure (looks after art galleries). Make a ssure as you can that it isnt damaged as its value is undoubted. it will need some protection from the sun and, because it may dry out as a result of exposing it. I would cover it with a sheet of glass after taking the pics to send.

I know it sounds a bit ott but I would copy the e-mail, photos and history of discovery, address etc to the Ashmolian museum in Oxford and ask them if they can shed any light on the painter.

It is quite a good production and probably historically accurate it seems too inventive to be a manufactured image, more likely a copied one/memorised.

Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I'll have what he's drinking.

I uncovered some art in a local subway when the anti vandal coating peeled off. It was probably Neolithic. I think it was a hunting scene with a vanquished mammoth, ears outstretched throwing its trunk into the air and with its last breath exhaling a final burst of steaming breath. It was moving.

I uncovered some art in a local subway when the anti vandal coating peeled off. It was probably Neolithic. I think it was a hunting scene with a vanquished mammoth, ears outstretched throwing its trunk into the air and with its last breath exhaling a final burst of steaming breath. It was moving.

Did you have it in a roll ? :lol:

That looks more 18th century than late 19th, I doubt it is less than 200 years old.

Don't listen to the cultural luddites, get it looked at and recorded by the local archeological trust and and then decide what to do. It belongs to the home owner so they can't have it and its part of our history and culture.

Measure the size.

Add some good pictures

check for any signatures.

Brief history of the house and approx. build date - the picture can't be older unless it was added in from somewhere else.

Then email the lot to an auction house like Bonhams - they give you an appraisal, subject to viewing if you need a confirmation.

If you go to a local society you'll be in the local rag the next day, "man find rare historic picture" etc. Up to you if you want the popularity.

I once worked on a house that had a roman mosaic floor in the cellar.

The owner was telling me how the historical bods had a preservation order placed on it and made relevant recordings before it was covered over by something (concrete or screed i think)in order to preserve it and prevent it deteriorating.

If its of historical significance they might look to cover over it to preserve it. If the home owner likes the painting then it might be worth getting a copy done before its recovered.

just chuck a coat of wally over it and forget about it. Its rubbish anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, its a fantastic find, and even if it isnt worth a lot in monetary terms, it could tell us a lot about the past. :good:

it could tell us a lot about the past. :good:

Yes like they didnt have wall paper so got the kids to paint on the wall :lol::lol:

Only joking :yp:

If that were on my wall i would be a little exited, even to find it was worthless it's still a brill find :good:

Get it checked out, but be prepared to find out it was previously the bedroom of a 14 year old Adrian Mole who before painting the walls black was into Dungeons and Dragons and World of War Craft

..and if it was the creation of a teen lad pop a few floor boards and see if there are anymore works of art rolled up and stuffed between the joists :lol:

Edited by ack-ack

If the house is only 100 years old its obviously not a view from the front room painted during the Tudor times, it would need to be by a recognised artist to be of a lot of interest i would think. Do you have access to the deeds of property to see who lived there or try a search on one of the family tree sites for the address or the old census saying who lived there, you never know it might be someone recognised. If it is then contact a as above.

If not and you like it glass over the top job done.

Personly i would remove all the plaster in the house to see if there are anymore paintings, then find out that Ziggy and Moonstar lived there in the 70's and also painted the bathroom very trippy.