Gutting rabbits!!

Evening all

Well got another two rabbits tonight and I thought I would have a crack of gutting them to get some meat off them.

OMG what a stink!!! I very nearly vommed!! Was I doing something wrong, or is it a case of just getting used to the smell!!??

Jonathan

Haha cheers guys!!

Yeah one I saw brown gunk, that was a body shot, the other was a head shot so wasn't too bad. Maybe I need to man up!! And try holding them down wind haha

Jonathan

theres the explaination then! just head shots from now on and it won't be as bad.

Gut a hare, after that rabbits smell nice.

Beats me how anybody can gut a hare and then eat it.

I've gutted loads of rabbits, used to sell them at auction but I can not honestly say I ever got over the smell. They do stink in my opinion.

Paunch rabbits the moment you pick them up. Too much weight to carry for one thing- and don't nick the intestines with the knife. The stomach contents don't smell just make a mess. But the large intestines reek. Unzip chest to groin rather than the other way round and its less likely to happen. And take your time. High speed one stroke unzipping takes practise and just like welding or bricklaying every man for some reason thinks he ought to be able to do it like a pro at the first attempt. A bit of care only adds a couple of seconds to the job. Speed comes later.

When it comes to smell I think cock pheasents are worse than rabbits.

Edited by Gimlet

The sooner after shooting them you gut them the better as given 5 minutes they will gass up making it much more likely to burst the guts ! With proficiency will come speed and soon you wont notice the smell. As said head shoot and also another tip, get a water bottle and pre mix some water and washing up liquid in it so you have hand wash redily available and it means you dont end up wiping the jucies onto your kit ! :good:

Its a good idea to wear examination rubber gloves when gutting rabbits.

There is a well documented case from a few years ago about a farmer who died not long after gutting a few rabbits.

From memory it transpired that the farmer had a slight cut on one of his hands; the rabbit was carrying some blood diease or other. Transfer of fluids from one to another, and bingo, DEAD! I'm not joking.

Here you go http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/08/21/19570.aspx

Gunner Gordon and I carry a few pairs of those latex gloves favoured by mechanics, and a small pack of wet wipes. Prevention is better than cure!

webber

Edited by webber