arm our police or not

mr williamson

:hmm:

Seems many have used the original post as an opportunity slag of the Police Force which is without doubt one of the best in the World. That wasnt the original question.

In my Opinion No they should not be armed. The ARS is sufficient

Arm the police and within 10 years Gun crime on our cities streets will be 100 times worse than it is currently.

Furthermore its easy to sit behind a computor screen and criticise the police...if any of you think you could do better why didnt you join up.

Quote. Arm the police and within 10 years Gun crime on our cities streets will be 100 times worse than it is currently.

If that's the case how come that the crime rate in N Ireland is one of the lowest in the UK. :hmm:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Operational Development Training

Eleven weeks pre-Tutorship training based at various Northern Ireland Police College sites, consisting of:

•2 weeks firearms training*

•3 weeks driver training (dependent on driving categories held)

•1 week tactical patrolling training*

•3 days First Aid training*

•3 days search training*

•1 day fire safety and HEP B injections

•3 days public order awareness

•2 days communications training

•2 days ICIS training

•3 days NICHE training

•1 week annual leave (compulsory due to number of days worked

I am sure they have to have refresher courses. Not sure how often but can find out.

Thanks for that , had a member of family in armed response unit over here and they used to train every month , more often if the officer was on a dedicated firearms team . I think the difference is that your police officers carry firearms and are police officers 1st and formost , and here on the mainland they are usually dedicated firearms officers with some secondry policing duties .

if the police were to armed i think a lot of coppers would leave as they did not sign up to kill people and then you would get a whole lot of very different type applicants

What does being armed have to do with killing people. I am sure the people joining the police here or in most european police forces don't join up to kill people either. :rolleyes:

Edited by ordnance

Seems many have used the original post as an opportunity slag of the Police Force which is without doubt one of the best in the World. That wasnt the original question.

Arm the police and within 10 years Gun crime on our cities streets will be 100 times worse than it is currently.

Furthermore its easy to sit behind a computor screen and criticise the police...if any of you think you could do better why didnt you join up.

When i was a kid you feared a policeman and he had little fear.

Nowadays a policeman fears his own shadow and the kids just laugh at them.

How times have changed ...

The police over here are armed, but I have absolutely no confidence in their ability. With reference the off duty officer that shot the knife wielding man on the Albertbridge road, he fired numerous times before he hit the man. The rounds used weren't expanding either, so we had a member of the police launching FMJ Ball ammo in public very inaccurately. Recipe for disaster. Also the Glock 17 is difficult to fire accurately, even when taking your time.

From what I understand, firearms training is quite rare for your everyday officer. PSNI ARU's get more frequent training and are similar to those in england, wales and scotland. Dedicated firearms teams are the way to go. If the ARU's were as top notch as they'd like us to believe, there'd be no need to arm the everyday bobby.

What does being armed have to do with killing people. I am sure the people joining the police here or in most european police forces don't join up to kill people either. :rolleyes:

carry a gun as a weapon you better be prepared to use it or end up dead, thats what its got to do with it lol

I just wish these gangs and thugs were terified of our police and justice system!! But guess what there not and it shows. Because we catch the and slap em on the rist. Thats what it looks like to me

As the poster who started the thread - could you explain what this has to do with arming the Police?

The police over here are armed, but I have absolutely no confidence in their ability. With reference the off duty officer that shot the knife wielding man on the Albertbridge road, he fired numerous times before he hit the man. The rounds used weren't expanding either, so we had a member of the police launching FMJ Ball ammo in public very inaccurately. Recipe for disaster. Also the Glock 17 is difficult to fire accurately, even when taking your time.

From what I understand, firearms training is quite rare for your everyday officer. PSNI ARU's get more frequent training and are similar to those in england, wales and scotland. Dedicated firearms teams are the way to go. If the ARU's were as top notch as they'd like us to believe, there'd be no need to arm the everyday bobby.

The reports i have seen are that one shot was fired. If you are issued with FMJ rounds what are you supposed to do not use them. Perhaps you could show me the report that numerous rounds where fired.? Some people here have confidence in the police some don't, i don't think the fact that they are armed has anything to do with. I am sure you would have done better in a similar situation. :rolleyes:

The reports i have seen are that one shot was fired. If you are issued with FMJ rounds what are you supposed to do not use them. Perhaps you could show me the report that numerous rounds where fired.? Some people here have confidence in the police some don't, i don't think the fact that they are armed has anything to do with. I am sure you would have done better in a similar situation. :rolleyes:

well least the scrote won`t be re offending so a big thumbs up to the officer from me.

Edited by tweedledee

I agree with tweedledee that there aren't enough offenders shot over here. Fair play to the officer involved for doing what he done, but I can assure you that he wasn't a one shot wonder. You persist in being controversial ordnance. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but I am yet to shoot against a police officer that has beaten me for accuracy and speed. The quality of marksmanship leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I agree with tweedledee that there aren't enough offenders shot over here. Fair play to the officer involved for doing what he done, but I can assure you that he wasn't a one shot wonder. You persist in being controversial ordnance. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but I am yet to shoot against a police officer that has beaten me for accuracy and speed. The quality of marksmanship leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I don't see what was countervail in what i said. In your earlier post you where criticizing him for shooting numerous FMJ rounds endangering civilians. Now you are saying that the police don't shoot enough offenders. You seem to know more than me, how many rounds where fired.? PS. Most officers as in the rest of the population have no interest in firearms they come with the job. You have an interest in firearms and would i assume do a lot more shooting than the average psni officer. Some people shoot better than others weather they are in the police has nothing to do with it. You can train some people till you are blue in the face and they will never be a good shot like most other things football ect. Most of their training would be safety and legal oriented ect rather than accuracy.

Edited by ordnance

I don't see what was countervail in what i said. In your earlier post you where criticizing him for shooting numerous FMJ rounds endangering civilians. Now you are saying that the police don't shoot enough offenders. You seem to know more than me, how many rounds where fired.? PS. Most officers as in the rest of the population have no interest in firearms they come with the job. You have an interest in firearms and would i assume do a lot more shooting than the average psni officer. Some people shoot better than others weather they are in the police has nothing to do with it. You can train some people till you are blue in the face and they will never be a good shot like most other things football ect. Most of their training would be safety ect rather than accuracy.

OK so are you accepting that you are happy with poorly trained officers being able to discharge weapons in public? I was criticising the officer because he wasn't able to hit his target with the first shot. I wasn't showing appreciation for his accuracy, rather his decision to remove a scumbag from our society. Accurate shooting goes hand in hand with safety when shooting in public, so if most of their training is around safety, why risk the safety of civilians with inaccurate shot placement and ball ammo? If you are not competent with a gun, you should not be in possession of it.

I think you've missed the point, certainly mine anyway.

I don't think anyone is using this as an opportunity to slag off the police (they provide much fire-power for that anyway...), but simply pointing out that due to their frequently proven incompetence they aren't suitable to be routinely issued with firearms.

As to criticising the police from behind a computer - some things where they have shot people were done when there was clearly no need, and it was obviously done either as revenge or because they are so pumped up with adrenaline that they have to pull some triggers as they're all hyped up to do so. It would be very difficult not to do better.

'if any of you think you could do better why didnt you join up.' - just because I can see how they mess up doesn't mean I want to join them. I personally would not want to be part of such a corrupt and inefficient organisation, nor do I want their job. It doesn't mean I couldn't do it.

OK so are you accepting that you are happy with poorly trained officers being able to discharge weapons in public? I was criticising the officer because he wasn't able to hit his target with the first shot. I wasn't showing appreciation for his accuracy, rather his decision to remove a scumbag from our society. Accurate shooting goes hand in hand with safety when shooting in public, so if most of their training is around safety, why risk the safety of civilians with inaccurate shot placement and ball ammo? If you are not competent with a gun, you should not be in possession of it.

You say he didn't hit him with the first shot how many shots where fired. ? I am not trying to be controversial the report i seen said one shot was fired i could be wrong you seem to know more shots fired if that's the case how many where fired. ? As with all police forces they have to achieve a certain level of accuracy. If it was expected all police carrying firearms have to be experts then few police world wide would be carrying pistols. If you shoot pistols you will know that they are hard to shoot accurately at the best of times add in stress ect than no mater how well trained you can miss what you are shooting at. I am sure the PSNI have other units that receive more extensive training. Training all officers to that level would not be practical. They are trained to what would be seen as an acceptable level. PS. This is the information i am going on it could be wrong. There were unconfirmed reports that Mr Ringland was |holding a knife to a staff member’s throat when the officer fired one shot. If you know different then share it with us.

Edited by ordnance