large fox calibres

hi

im just wondered what people have got passed for foxes, now im talking larger calibres but i only really care about what people have without having deer attached to the conditions for the calibre just calibres people have for foxes. now i have a 243 and a 22-250 for foxes but my mate got a 260 passed, im not sure if the police in west yorkshire will alow it. if anyone knows if i could get one, can you tell me how? i have one for foxes but the other i have is for a designated night vision rifle for foxes but i was wanting another night vision im going to get another kite. as my others a bit daft atm its going off all the time but i have droped it a few times. and i have a buyer for it so i was going to get a new one and get a cheaper one too. i wanted to put it on my 243 and the cheaper on my 22-250 so i need another rifle for normal shooting with the lamp or in the day, and i would like a bigger one if possible, i know there plenty powerful what i have already, and never missed or had a runner so very happy with them but obviously i would like a bigger calibre, theres no point going down, let us know what you think thanks johnathan

ohh yeah im not saying that there not good for the job at hand. i just dont want to go down in calibres if i can help it, i use my 243 nearly every night and 22-250 quite alot but if i get another night vision i definatly want another calibre, not just another gun, i might aswell get a bigger one if i can, johnathan

I did have a .300WSM For deer and fox now have .2506 and .308 not conditioned for fox whilst deer shooting.I can use either for deer or fox Lincolnshire do not condition for fox shooting whilst deerstalking

Deershooter

hi yeah what im trying to say is i dont have deer permission, but i want another calibre but what wil the police allow for foxes without having deer?? i can get a 338 lapua for deer and get foxes too but i dont have the deer permission so i cant link it like that to get the use of foxes.

hi

im just wondered what people have got passed for foxes, now im talking larger calibres but i only really care about what people have without having deer attached to the conditions for the calibre just calibres people have for foxes. now i have a 243 and a 22-250 for foxes but my mate got a 260 passed, im not sure if the police in west yorkshire will alow it. if anyone knows if i could get one, can you tell me how? i have one for foxes but the other i have is for a designated night vision rifle for foxes but i was wanting another night vision im going to get another kite. as my others a bit daft atm its going off all the time but i have droped it a few times. and i have a buyer for it so i was going to get a new one and get a cheaper one too. i wanted to put it on my 243 and the cheaper on my 22-250 so i need another rifle for normal shooting with the lamp or in the day, and i would like a bigger one if possible, i know there plenty powerful what i have already, and never missed or had a runner so very happy with them but obviously i would like a bigger calibre, theres no point going down, let us know what you think thanks johnathan

I know someone with a 25-06 just for fox.

bornfree

Glad you have a buyer for the admittedly broken kite lol.

that made me chuckle as well,

as for the original question I think you've pushed your luck with the .243 so far and unless you have a serious reason for larger which would be deer and foxes then I'd suggest no chance. I'd also say why as there are far more tasty offerings for foxing and they are all 6mm and less usually less.

home office guidelines lists 6.5mm were ranges are long and high winds being the largest fox only cal. remember guidelines are not rules. I think your barking up the wrong tree though having multiple calibres and or loads it leads to mistakes in balistic estimates.

I had a mate who went 25-06 a few years back but soon changed back to a .243 like he had previous after lots of misses, nothing to do with the 25 cal more what he personally was used to. after all there is no shot on a fox the .243 wont do that the 25 or 6.5 etc will in the right hands

I was refused point blank .243 for fox only by S.Yorks,having already owning a .22-250, my reason being high winds long range etc,so after booking a few stalks and supplying proof of booking they eventually gave me .243 for ground game,Vermin,Fox and Deer :good: and now I have also got a .270 conditioned exactly the same as my .243 :D .

Jase.

I have a .308 for fox and deer and for humane dispatch . Then I do live in Norfolk that has a proper fire arms licensing department . My local FEO is a knowledgeable man of all things shoot able ,not many are according to what I read on hear .

Once you are known to your feo and have some experiance ,variations and change of calibres become much easier .

Harnser .

I have a .308 for fox and deer and for humane dispatch . Then I do live in Norfolk that has a proper fire arms licensing department . My local FEO is a knowledgeable man of all things shoot able ,not many are according to what I read on hear .

Once you are known to your feo and have some experiance ,variations and change of calibres become much easier .

Harnser .

the whole point is Harnser that he is knowledgeable and I would imagine wouldn't think fox as a reason to grant a 308. In your case fine as its a deer caliber this reads about I want a big caliber to loose off at foxes and personally its a bit hard to justify on that basis. In the real world they aren't the best fox calibers when you want something thats fast and flat shooting.

why anyone would want a 338 for fox is past me. all that wasted powder when a 223 will do the same job

A better job I'd say. I've shot a couple of foxes whilst out with my .338 Win Mag and all it does is punch a hole straight through and cause a bit of splatter. Shoot on in the chest with my .223 and the contents are slopping about like soup inside the skin with no exit wound. In my mind that makes the .223 better if the shot placement is off and it's also safer. 225gr of .338 bullet doesn't even slow down when it passes through something the size of a fox which then leaves a bit lump of copper and lead that needs to be stopped. Ok you have a backstop but if that happens to be hiding a stone that's at a shallow angle you can be damn sure a bonded bullet is going to come back up and fly quite some distance in that situation. :yes:

I'm all for people shooting what they want to with whatever calibre they choose but in my mind anything over 6mm unless it's either a heavy subsonic or for other uses too is just pointless.

Why not ask for something slow and quiet like a .44 magnum or .300 Blackout/Whisper? you can get 400ft-lbs out of those without breaking the sound barrier - great for night time use where you'd need to be discreet. :good:

Why not ask for something slow and quiet like a .44 magnum or .300 Blackout/Whisper? you can get 400ft-lbs out of those without breaking the sound barrier - great for night time use where you'd need to be discreet. :good:

That's a good thought actually because I would love a .357 under-lever for foxing in the woods. Not too fast, and unlike the .223/22-250's etc the bullet won't break up if it clips a leaf on the way to its target.

G.M.

i have from .17hmr to 30.06 for fox and also 38/.357 but mainly use .223 if you have say a .308 and a fox comes along which you were asked to shoot it why should you be restricted to calibre as long as the job is done quickly and cleanly

That's a good thought actually because I would love a .357 under-lever for foxing in the woods. Not too fast, and unlike the .223/22-250's etc the bullet won't break up if it clips a leaf on the way to its target.

G.M.

just ask to have .357 put on for fox i thought it might be questioned but it was cleared no probs its a usefull round for some work and less dangerous in smaller areas

I only have a 308 now and is ok for fox. I surreneded my Hornet if they allowed the 308 to be used across the board, they did.

My licence is up for renewal soon, I worry how it will turn out!

It is a brill foxer with hornady 110vmax and a case full of H4895.

I would love to have a 444 :good: Or 44m and 357m but do be aware they will bounce as bad as anything else if not worse!

Friend ued a 270 for years. It was brill at night, not getting upset by a blade of grass or unseen stubble at night etc including sheep fencing!

U.