Can I do this

Lancs Lad

I have managed to get the wife to let me have a shotty..................

However...........she wont let me keep it at home............................

Can I apply for a shotty licence but keep the gun elsewhere............

It would probably be at my parents house...

Wife not keen on having a shotty in the house as she looks after kids etc........

are you a man or a mouse tell her that you are getting a shotgun and thats that no problems

theres no reson why you shouldnt have guns in the same house as kids, with all safety matters taken into consideration if the wife told me that she would be leaving !! :)

cheers kirky

Mrs Pin wasn't happy about me getting a shotty, or even keeping airguns in the house.

When I sat her down and explained about the cabinet, how tough they were and all the rest of it, she seemed to see sense.

The thing to do is show her you can hide the cabinet ( I took the back out of a wardrobe and put it in there ), and have a clever place to hide the key. I aint saying where I keep mine obviously but pm me if you want a cunning suggestion.

Now that she knows its not possible for the kids to get at the guns, or even find the cabinet, she's happy about the whole thing.

In fact she now uses the top lockable section to keep her collection of expensive shiny things which I don't understand as much as she doesn't get why I like guns :)

To answer the question, form 104 (sgc app) has a section which asks where the guns will be stored. It does not assume you will be keeping them in your residence. The law is somewhat vauge in terms of what you must do, but "weapons must be kept safe and secure at all times so as to prevent unauthorised access, as far as is reasonably practical".

As long as its not a garage or outbuilding and is out of sight of casual callers (and meets the home office guidance for construction and fixing to the wall) you should be ok. I would guess you would need to go to lengths to prove that only the holder of the SGC would have access.

Indeed, because if Mrs. Pin knew where you kept the key and had access to your cabinet you would lose your certificate - Court of Appeal case of Farrer (the cert holder's mum helpfully opened the cabinet up at the request of the Firearms Officer who popped round one day when Mr. Farrer was not in).

Tricky stuff eh.

Keeping your gun anywhere but in your own house seems like a bundle of aggro on so many different levels.

Send her out to get her hair done and sneak it in.

If this answers anything, when I was at Uni I kept my shotguns at my mother's house in Norfolk, yet had my SGC registered to an address in Hants. The guns were in a cabinet in Norfolk that only I had access to, even though I had a completely different address (and was registered with another Constabulary). The only thing that mattered was access to the cabinet. If it's only the SGC holder that has access, I don't believe that it matters where the cabinet and contents are located (providing they cabinet passes an FEO inspection).

When my old gun cabinet was after many satisfactory years deemed unsuitable through changing regulations, I moved my shottie to a mates house who had a certificate and the required type of cabinet. It stayed there for ten years and everyone was happy, except I had some extra inconvenience in arranging to collect and return it.

[quote name=And as for your mrs not letting you have guns in the house. A well known prodigy song springs to mind :angry:

What,:no:??

Every body thats in the place.

Your Love.

Charly.

Voodo People.

Fire Starter.......................

Just got off the phone with the BASC, they confirmed that there shouldnt be any problems with me keeping them over at my folks place.

Just need to prove that they dont have access to keys.....

Just need to get the ok from them now......

• 3 weeks later...

When my shotgun cert was up for renewal, the bloke came round quickly and was very good. I asked him about my spare keys. They are in a mate's gun cabinet, some miles away. He said my mate should not have access and I should put them in a small safe which is fixed on top of my gun safe. I asked where I should keep the spare keys for the safe - no answer. Any advice?:yes:???

Also me and dad used to share a cabinet but whoever has access to the cabinet must have all the shotguns on his cert. Or if both have access then both people must have all the guns on their certs.

I share my gun cabinet with my dad and i don't have all the guns on my certificate and neither does he and the firearms officer is fine with this, and as i would be able to borrow a gun off him for 72 hours without having it put on my certificate, if he gives me permission to use them when i want then this should mean i have authorisation to access the guns whever i need to.

also by putting the same gun on two peoples certificate you are saying it is owned by 2 people wouldn't this cause all kinds of problems espially if you want to sell it etc.