Where You born Before 1970

Guest AP1shooter

Guest AP1shooter

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born before 1970?

Old fuddy duddy :)

I can still remember doing nearly 99% of that lot and i was born at the beginning of 1971 :)

we never had a TV till i was about 13 and the first video recorders had chunky buttons not the touch buttons they have now.

My first computer was a Atari Classic.

I remember walking 2 miles as a Kid to go throw stones in the river with friends and making tree houses without getting into trouble with the police and the council never tore them down either.

LG

It certainly makes you stop and think about society today. The bit about going out for a day and coming back when the street lights came on was very true of my youth. I wouldnt dare let me kids out of my sight these days!

Axe I was born in 64 by the time I was 8 I would jump on a horse and be gone all day some times overnight camping trip.....it was nothing to be riding 20 or 30 miles from home or to get in after dark.

Funny thing is Mom and Dad always new where we were within a 1/2 mile :P :o

These days my kids dont leave my site :) We all ride much closer to home usually not leaving the home farm but I know there will be some long rides in the mountains out west, or Mexico, or maybe Scotish Highlands coming in the not so distant future. :)

BlackThorn,

they didn't kick our **** or slap us around they just said " I will be letting your Farther know". Words that struck ice cold fear through your entire body....the only thing that would have been worse was if Dad had to find you after they talked to him B)

NTTF

It certainly makes you stop and think about society today. The bit about going out for a day and coming back when the street lights came on was very true of my youth. I wouldnt dare let me kids out of my sight these days!

Axe I was born in 64 by the time I was 8 I would jump on a horse and be gone all day some times overnight camping trip.....it was nothing to be riding 20 or 30 miles from home or to get in after dark.

Funny thing is Mom and Dad always new where we were within a 1/2 mile :D:)

These days my kids dont leave my site :) We all ride much closer to home usually not leaving the home farm but I know there will be some long rides in the mountains out west, or Mexico, or maybe Scotish Highlands coming in the not so distant future. B)

BlackThorn,

they didn't kick our **** or slap us around they just said " I will be letting your Farther know". Words that struck ice cold fear through your entire body....the only thing that would have been worse was if Dad had to find you after they talked to him :P

NTTF

dan i can remember one time, copper told me to stop bouncing the ball, being me give it one more bounce, wallop strate round the ear :o :):P:lol::P:P

I remember me and my friends practically living on push bikes and never hearing of anyone falling off and seriously hurting themselves. Now its deemed too dangerouse to ride without one of those ridiculous looking crash helmets and that its certain death not to wear one. We thought we were lucky if we had brakes.

born 1970

Leeboy

Well I was born in 1955 so imagine how pi**ed off at how this society has changed. :P:P:P

Mind you some will probably have picked that up from my earlier postings :lol:

Yup :D:)

Whoops :o B) :):)

Remember once when my poor old Ma was worrying about where I'd got to after a fishing trip I'd gone on singlehanded as a kid. Some wise old sage told her "don't worry, he'll be back when his belly tells him". Not far short of the mark as I then had the metabolic rate of a puppy full of worms.

Alas that has all changed in middle age and I only have to look at a pie to put on half a pound in weight.

QUOTE(old rooster @ Aug 23 2006, 03:20 PM)

Well I was born in 1955 so imagine how pi**ed off at how this society has changed.

Mind you some will probably have picked that up from my earlier postings

And here I thought Tercel was the last member that knew what dinasour poop looked like :):):P :o B) :D:)

NTTF

I remember me and my friends practically living on push bikes and never hearing of anyone falling off and seriously hurting themselves. Now its deemed too dangerouse to ride without one of those ridiculous looking crash helmets and that its certain death not to wear one. We thought we were lucky if we had brakes.

born 1970

Leeboy

I was born in the summer of '69' my mum and dad both drank and smoked although they dont now :)

As for push bike accidents i can remember very well at the age of 14 jumping a ramp on our local common on my bmx and breaking my collar bone...Ouch! We used to just use the sole of our trainer as a break on the back wheel :) It worked but didnt half wear your soles out quick!!

QUOTE(old rooster @ Aug 23 2006, 03:20 PM)

Well I was born in 1955 so imagine how pi**ed off at how this society has changed.

Mind you some will probably have picked that up from my earlier postings

And here I thought Tercel was the last member that knew what dinasour poop looked like :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NTTF

As an enthusiastic amateur palaeontologist I've yet to find the "poop" but I've some very interesting dinosaur vertebrae, some great ammonites and belemnites from the local clay pits.

:lol: 1966,,three kids 6,8,10.and i try to let them do most of those things especially FREEDOM .6,and10 year old boys love ratting and shooting.dont let kids go all PC i let my kids speak freally,not so sure about eating worms,but i dont let them eat sh..y old macdonalds **** i would rather they were to eat a worm much more healthy.