Had old bill visit whilst decoying

stokie

We were out decoying today a couple of fields away from a road . The field had more flat patches than it did standing crop . We set up at around 2 o clock and were having a fantastic day with birds decoying well into the pattern .

We looked behind the hide and there were 2 police officers crossing the field behind us . We unloaded the guns and placed them in the landy then went out to greet them . Some numpty had rang and said we were firing at his house as pellets were hitting the roof . When we took the Sargent to the hedge where the hide was set up he said he was more than happy because he couldn't even see the houses . To be honest they were about 500 yards away and out of line of fire . They asked for our licences which we produced . Then checked us out on PNC and were happy we were doing no wrong . It just goes to show that there are some right muppets that live in the countryside and when done correctly it can all be sorted out with minimum of time and fuss

I had a similar thing last year,

Myself and my shooting partner were shooting on a large patch of land, we saw a lady walking along the set aside so we stepped out of the hide broke the guns and waited for her to pass and we didn’t want to frighten her as she walked past with to guys hiding in the bushes.

There is no footpath and to be fair I don’t bother, as people seem to walk where they want nowadays. Next thing the Bobbies turned up as she had reported two strange men with gun in the edge of the wood. Showed the bobby our licences and asked him to inform the lady not to trespass again.

Comes down to city folk having the money to buy a house in the country but not wanting what goes on in the country around them

I had a friend who was a Special Constable who was called out to barn coversion when the owner complained that the tractors were starting up at 07.30.

Another farmer had a complaint from a towny about the rape shooting . It just so happens that his muck heap appeared at the bottom of his garden in the field !!!!

You always get one don't you! :yes:

I have one permission where I have to call in and let the police know that I am doing some pigeon and crow shooting as it is guaranteed that within 5 minutes of me firing the first shot there is a phone call to the police to say that there is someone shooting and is it legal. When this happens (And weather permitting it will be within the next week as the field is due to be cut and harvested so the crows will hammer it) the police just call me on my mobile and ask if there is anyone else shooting in that location and when I say no it is just me they are quite happy and tell me to carry on and shoot away!

The farmer has told me that there is a new community beat bobby who has been up last week and told him that the person in question has told them that they don't want me to shoot up into the trees. :hmm:

As it is I always keep my back to the house in question which is some 400 yards away so there is no chance at all of any stray shot going anywhere near the place and giving them any reason to complain! :no:

Edit: I guess I could really annoy this idiot by inviting a few friends up there (With the farmer's permission) for a right good old crow shoot - Now that would really wind them up and throw the brown stuff into the fan! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Frenchieboy

I imagine that I am very lucky having very rural estates and farms to shoot over but having had over one thousand days pigeon shooting I have never even had one person remonstrating with me whilst out shooting never mind a visit from 'old bill'.

That being the case I am unable to say whether either the '**** off' approach or the 'I'm sorry to have caused you any inconvenience' approach is the way forward.

That being the case I am unable to say whether either the '**** off' approach or the 'I'm sorry to have caused you any inconvenience' approach is the way forward.

Definitely be polite. One because it's the right way to behave for an SGC and/or FAC holder - but secondly because you never know when youmay bump into these people in the future. A couple of years back a chap came over to the hide and said that the noise was annoying him and his wife in their garden. He was a little 'short' but I apologised and offered to change position and shoot in the other direction so that the noise would not be as loud. I gave him my mobile number and said to call if it was still an issue. He never did call but after shooting I called past his house and popped in to apologise again and check all was OK. They were polite and then expressed lots of interest in how we'd done and how pleased they were that we cared about the disturbance.

Only 6 months later we were at a social occasion and this chap was there - and was an obvious good friend of the farmer and his family. We were on the same table and had a great evening - but how glad was I that I had adopted a positive attitude and hadn't had one of my 'less diplomatic days'.

LOL

polite is the way ,sat under a sitty tree a month or so back heard some1 calling my name ,looked up two hivis coppers a field away ,got my name from a pnc check on my car.some kind person reported a masked terrorist shooting at planes with a big gun<hatsan semi >me in a jack pyke mask being said terrorist.mask off ,gun empty much polite chat ,showed em my sgc gave them farmers phone number.male pc well interested in shotty .female sargent just bemused ,waiting for farmer to come police fone goes off n mrs rabbid screaming down fone ave u got im ,ave u aressted the terrorist yet its wot i pay my taxes for .at this the p,c starts giggling very sureal farmer turns up clears me with plod and lotsa apologies all round .still in this day an age cant be too carefull :yp: :yp: ,not carlos the jackal

please excuse my ignorance but im new to licensed guns (used to air guns). while i understand the importance of carrying your certifcate while out with a licened gun,is a copy good enough or should you carry the original?

please excuse my ignorance but im new to licensed guns (used to air guns). while i understand the importance of carrying your certifcate while out with a licened gun,is a copy good enough or should you carry the original?

I lock mine (Original) in the glove box of my 4x4, to be fair a bobby can check if you have a SGC as long as you have I.D with you

Edited by Actionpigeons

thanks for the reply.

as for the grief you guys have recieved, fingers corssed i dont get any of it.. but lets be honest people are getting more and more paranoid about guns so i think its only going to get worse

edit: i should have said people who dont shoot are getting more paranoid about guns

I only carry copies of my tickets and they had no probs just a quick check over their radios and that was it mate

• 2 weeks later...

To escalate matters further the numpty has sent a letter to the farmer saying that we had shot his solar panels on the roof . He kept hearing shot striking them . It's amazing how shot managed to turn around and go the other way and land 500 yards behind us

The farmer has now told us we can't go there again as its not worth the hassle . But he's a good bloke and will spread lots of smelly stuff