Disaster Olympics?

Vince Green

The empty seating in the olympic stadium is only the tip of the iceberg. London businesses are reporting record low figures. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions are all well down. Even the taxis are saying there are no customers. Some hotels are literally empty. People are staying away in droves. A friend of mine described Oxford St as a ghost town yesterday. Roads are empty, trains are empty

The olympics were supposed to bring a fantastic economic boost to the capital but it has been the kiss of death.

So all the money that would be spent in the Capitol is now going to be spent in the smaller towns.

I can not see the issue, hotels were ripping people off and have now been caught out, anyone with half a brain either went away on holiday if they live in London or stay out the way for the games. I think the UK is doing a first rate job as host and I am proud of it.

So all the money that would be spent in the Capitol is now going to be spent in the smaller towns.

I can not see the issue, hotels were ripping people off and have now been caught out, anyone with half a brain either went away on holiday if they live in London or stay out the way for the games. I think the UK is doing a first rate job as host and I am proud of it.

I think you are missing the point, London this time of year should be full of foreign tourists spending their euros and dollars. Because of the olympics they have stayed away completely. British people don't usually go to London for a holiday.

The feeling is that the stay away is affecting the whole of the country. Camping and caravan sites on the south coast say there are a lot less french and Germans this year. St Ives in Cornwall where my brother has a holiday place is apparantly less busy this year.

Edited by Vince Green

Did we really and trully expect anything otherwise? :hmm::no::no:

From day one the London Olympics have been a total shambles. The costs of staging the games have multiplied so much from what they were originally predicted to be, the organisation is rediculous especially with the amount of money spent on the very poor excuse for security by the company that won the contract, our athletes who were expected to win all of these medals are doing very little good at all due to the lack of training facilities available, there are far too many empty seats due to the organisers and the boost in trade for the country in general is practically non existent!

How on earth are people surposed to be "Proud to be British" with such a farsical joke as this, and at the end of the day who is going to foot the bill for all of these **** ups?

This was said a long time ago the government thought that having it would bring people in to this country when in reality it has the opposite effect as the only people in London will be people who live and work there and The people who have come to see the Olympics.

All of the normal tourist who come and spend money will come next year when they think it will be less crowded simple.

I am not interested in most of it but I do think that for the most part they have made a good job of it ok you will get the odd problem the security thing etc but nothing that is not easily overcome.

You cannot put on a thing as big as this and expect everything to be perfect and as for the empty seats that was nothing to do with us other Countries are allocated seats if there people choose not to use them and they do not pass them back to us what can we do they have a rite to have them if they choose not to use them tough.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

you can look at it 2 ways,

1.London back on map for future..look at how Barcelona took off(until Euro killed spain off)!

2.Tons of money has been made but alas all offshore into IOC Swiss bank accounts and to pet builders/outsource companies.

Personally I cannot stand the Medias fascination with the negative...alas as somoene who has tried multiple times for tickets I cannot help thinking it is a stitch up though!

For what it's worth I wish the Olympics happened every week of the year. Getting into work is a charm with more frequent and empty buses and even a good chance of getting a seat on the underground at peak times which is unheard of :good:

I don't think it's just the Olympics though, it's a prime time for londoners to take family holidays especially with the poor weather we've been having this year, and it's Ramadan at the moment so the wealthy Arabs who descend on London high streets have already been this summer and now gone back to warmer climes.

It's a tricky balancing act for the organisers, no doubt if London and its infrastructure was creaking under the weight of influx, arguments that we should never have held it, couldn't organise anything, waste of money on everything etc....

Worth bearing in mind most of the events are well out of the centre of the city, and also that the benefits of the Olympics (PR boost) will mostly be felt in the years to follow the games. From that point of view I think London is doing no harm at all, in fact seems to be waving a big flag saying come and visit!

:stupid:

I went to the Mens Skeet yesterday and apart from the stupid announcer people it was one of the best events I have been to.

really well run from every way you can judge it, getting there and back was made easy by the helpful "games makers" and all the facilities were great :)

wish I had more tickets! going to the football semi final on Tuesday but i think i am going to have get some para-Olympic tickets

From day one the London Olympics have been a total shambles. The costs of staging the games have multiplied so much from what they were originally predicted to be, the organisation is rediculous especially with the amount of money spent on the very poor excuse for security by the company that won the contract, our athletes who were expected to win all of these medals are doing very little good at all due to the lack of training facilities available, there are far too many empty seats due to the organisers and the boost in trade for the country in general is practically non existent!

How on earth are people surposed to be "Proud to be British" with such a farsical joke as this, and at the end of the day who is going to foot the bill for all of these **** ups?

Bahh your still upset cus Paris didnt get it :P:lol: :lol:

I think its Bloody brilliant....brilliantly built.....Brilliantly organised.....brilliantly administered...just brilliant. :yes:

I'm undecided on it all from the work perspective its rapidly turning into a disaster we do courier work in London and are probably doing half what we did at this time last year. On the upside traffic has improved and parts are like a ghost town now if we had the work to do it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as expected.

As for the Games themselves looks an improvement on any I can remember seeing :good:

The empty seating in the olympic stadium is only the tip of the iceberg. London businesses are reporting record low figures. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions are all well down. Even the taxis are saying there are no customers. Some hotels are literally empty. People are staying away in droves. A friend of mine described Oxford St as a ghost town yesterday. Roads are empty, trains are empty

The olympics were supposed to bring a fantastic economic boost to the capital but it has been the kiss of death.

Thats because the EE and the OS at stratford is miles away :lol: :lol:

I went to the hockey and you couldnt move for people. they certainly are not staying away in droves... but are using the satellite towns and villages becasue they know that if they venture into the metropolis looking for accom and refreshments we the British will just rip them off.

Weve been sussed. :yes:

As for the Games themselves looks an improvement on any I can remember seeing :good:

Got to agree with that, the backdrop to most events I have seen has been stunning.

Maybe we should start I :wub: the Olympics thread to counter act the 'we are all doomed, doomed I tell ya' threads :lol:

Maybe we should start I :wub: the Olympics thread to counter act the 'we are all doomed, doomed I tell ya' threads :lol:

I agree. It does seem that people are trying to find every possible reason to slag off the games, from the security, to the seats.

The easy thing is to be cynical and moan, it is an increasing English institution and I'm bored of it.

The hard thing is to admit that a lot of people, lots of committees, lots of think tanks have actually got something right. I think it al looks excellent, and the BBC are doing it all brilliantly. I'm excited about going tomorrow.

Got to agree with that, the backdrop to most events I have seen has been stunning.

now if you had a spring clean you could start with who believes in aliens, ban the lot. Then make a move onto who believes the americans did the 911 bombings and ban them and you would be most of the way through getting rid of people who think the olympics are ****

The mens time trial wall to wall people from start to finish brandishing the unionjack now tell me youre notproud to be british