Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

I'm sitting in front of the computer with chicken, salad and new potatoes (Star Wars on TV) and I've just read the post where the barrel is through the wall!

Now cleaning dinner from the keyboard

That's lateral thinking... :D

I needed to maximise space in 'the man cave'. I had suggested I could kick the dogs out of their house, take down the dividing wall and extend. The mrs said no so the next best thing was put the lathe across the end wall and cut a 2" hole in the side walls, that's the biggest I can fit up the spindle so it will never need to be bigger. I've got the bits that came out of the middle so I'll hinge them for future projects! From the outside with the bits back in place you can only notice when your up close.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's lateral thinking... :D

I needed to maximise space in 'the man cave'. I had suggested I could kick the dogs out of their house, take down the dividing wall and extend. The mrs said no so the next best thing was put the lathe across the end wall and cut a 2" hole in the side walls, that's the biggest I can fit up the spindle so it will never need to be bigger. I've got the bits that came out of the middle so I'll hinge them for future projects! From the outside with the bits back in place you can only notice when your up close.

And if it rains all the better - suds on the full length :)

Seriously, good work, although the finish on the test thread looks a bit rough - I assume you will improve that on the finished item.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been seriously hectic recently!

I spent a while making some components for another PW member, my son had a training session at st Georges park with Jamie Redknap which consumed another weekend and like Paul said, its a shame to waste the nice weather so I've been trying to spend a bit of time with the boys, not to mention the CLA which wrote off last weekend! (well worth it though!)

Here are a few pics of the bits for utectok...

All made from 304 stainless, M20 thread screwcut...

This is with the spacers

I got the trigger parts laser cut...

Machined the pivot point pins for the mechanism to locate on

and started to assemble them in the action

This is with the pin released

this is with the spring compressed.(the old one as a new one still hasnt been sourced yet)

the mechanism works :yahoo:

I managed to get out in the 'man cave' today for quite a few hours. I got the trigger mechanism pretty much finished. You can see the return spring on the sear and the addition of the trigger. The spring looks a mess as the old one is far too stiff, i had to use pliers to pull the firing pin back, so the one i used to test today is made from a few combined to make it stiff enough (i'll get one as soon as i can find one :) )

Edited by Wildfowler

Then i drilled and reamed the holes and counter bored it with a slot drill, this then gave me a profile to follow with a file (unfortunately no CNC else this would have taken less than half the time) This is nearly there with the radius

Its a pain in the **** keep taking pics so unfortunately not too much detail on the process, but here is the end result...

This is roughly how it will go

I've got a few days holiday this week so i hope to get a bit more done soon!

A friend of mine had his done at London proof house but that was a few years back and aparently they were getting a few complaints when they tested that sort of caliber. Someone else I know had guys come out from the proof house and conduct it in a field locally so I reckon this will be the way forward.

I had a chat with my FEO a few weeks ago and we agreed the best way will be for me to finish the gun, serial number it and mark it with the makers name (me) and get it put on my certificate, then I can fire it legally. I'll test it locally first to ensure its safe and has as good a chance as possible of passing, then ill speak to the proof houses to see about testing it. I'm not sure how London will price it if they have to come out and test it so it might work out cheaper to go to Birmingham...

I will of course be photographing and videoing all of the stages for you guys...