Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that... No, i don't think it's enough! I plan to put another one each side today or tomorrow. When I was turning it you could hear it wasn't seated 100% in the middle

Edited to say, I'm not 100% happy with them as there are some imperfections in the wood so I'll probably use these ones for a season and see how they go and in the meantime I'll source some more wood or cut some more of the oak I have to see what the grain is like...

Sounds a plan ;) happy days getting it muddy and wet!

I notice you are using oak- just to mention oak and steel do not mix right well, particularly with water present. You would need to seal both very well from contact with each other to avoid the tannin in the oak corroding the steel.

Hello yellobear, In post 783 welshwarrior covered that, and that is why in post 816 I mentioned that I've taken them off again until I get round to sealing them, but thanks for the thought...

I know there are issues with oak on steel but if treated properly i think it should be ok. I wanted a very hard wood as it is likely to get the odd knock... If I find some better wood I'll make some more :)

Any chance you can share some pics winchester79 we would love to see it . ATB Pole Star ps good luck with your project :good:

hi fella yes i will put on some photos but might take me a while to work out how to do it :/ the punt is now a skeleton as all the decks have been removed as i found that the oak ribs had softened. as a point of interest the punt was decked with aluminium which we think has came from a ww2 aircraft as on the under side it has lots of military writing for sizes and gaps ect . thankyou for your intrest :)

Sounds good!!! What size gun is it?!? Have you done any punt gunning in the past?

For the ribs or frames, start with the radius from 3 points section here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius

Take the overall length, minus the length of your stem and stern block, say 6" each. Then take your width, minus the width of the stem and stern blocks / 2... This will give you the 3 points... From this you can work out the radius. Once you have that you an work out any other point using trigonometry... I hope that make sense and helps

Else draw it to scale and measure it! ;)

Edited to say, the above is assuming fore and aft is equal about the midpoint

hello thanks so much for your help i now have got all 13 ribs cut as this punt is a double and will be 22ft and 3ft 7" across the bottom at the widest point, in answer to your questions no i am a punt gun virgin but have been wildfowling all my life and have a special interest in large bore wildfowling guns so this is just progression into a subject that has always interested me,also three years back now i was in a serious forestry accident when a lad felled an 120ft spruce tree which went wrong and ended up sliding down the tree i was felling which gave me a broken pelvis,split muscle and spinal damage so if i want to get out punting now is the time before it gets worse in later life so i have jumped in with both feet and here i am :yes: The gun i have is a 1.5" with a 8ft tube and screw breech she weighs in at 91lbs and is painted in grey tower paint which is fantastic stuff. i will try to upload some pictures when i work out how to see what you think.

all the best....ian s

hi fella yes i will put on some photos but might take me a while to work out how to do it :/ the punt is now a skeleton as all the decks have been removed as i found that the oak ribs had softened. as a point of interest the punt was decked with aluminium which we think has came from a ww2 aircraft as on the under side it has lots of military writing for sizes and gaps ect . thankyou for your intrest :)

Ok perhaps wildfowler might want you to start a new thread ??? best ask him .

Ok try this for loading up pics taking it that you have them loaded on your pc , you might have to play around with theses instructions ? .

Open your pic on the pc screen , click onto a sign that says paint , click on where it says image , click onto resize , click skew . you should I hope see two boxs to resize the image put 30 in each box .

Click on File click Save as . Now close page & close page again . Select pic & open then attach file thats how I do it ,

Good luck Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

Ok perhaps wildfowler might want you to start a new thread ??? best ask him .

Ok try this for loading up pics taking it that you have them loaded on your pc , you might have to play around with theses instructions ? .

Open your pic on the ps screen , click onto a sign that says paint , click on where it says image , click onto resize , click skew . you should I hope see two boxs to resize the image put 30 in each box .

Click on File click Save as . Now close page & close page again . Select pic & open then attach file thats how I do it ,

Good luck Pole Star

thanks i will give it a go :)

welll ive spent ALL afternoon on this thread.. fascinating to say the very least, i thought the punt was cracking workmanship but the gun is outstanding! i look forward t oseeing it complete and on the punt

as everyone else said, do a book.. if you get no luck getting it published, self publish.. ive done several myself now, ive registered so i can give them isbn numbers and found a printer thats happy to do small print runs without bumping the price up to much.. even if you look at a couple of hundred copies theres enough money to be made to pay for another gun

Wildfowler I am new to pigeon watch and have just spent 2 hours reading this thread with fascination, Well done to you, you are a very good craftsman and your skill and attention to detail is commendable. I to am an engineer an have built my own punt 24' long x 4' beam and two guns 16oz 1-1/4 24oz 1-5/8.Like mudpattern you have done some things different to me but all power to you, by the time you have made you fourth or fith punt and gun you will be getting some were near what you think you need.

Well done

HB.

Hello yellobear, In post 783 welshwarrior covered that, and that is why in post 816 I mentioned that I've taken them off again until I get round to sealing them, but thanks for the thought...

I know there are issues with oak on steel but if treated properly i think it should be ok. I wanted a very hard wood as it is likely to get the odd knock... If I find some better wood I'll make some more :)

hi just wondering if you have made your setting poles yet and what design you are going for oh and what length? and also you mention a sculling crutch to the rear would you be able to describe it for me or maybe post a picture? just can't seem to find much about them in any of the books.

i have cut all the ribs and have the daunting task of trying to fit them to the bottom straps then the top ones :/

all the best......ian :yes:

hi just wondering if you have made your setting poles yet and what design you are going for oh and what length? and also you mention a sculling crutch to the rear would you be able to describe it for me or maybe post a picture? just can't seem to find much about them in any of the books.

i have cut all the ribs and have the daunting task of trying to fit them to the bottom straps then the top ones :/

all the best......ian :yes:

Start a new thread!

Wildfowler I am new to pigeon watch and have just spent 2 hours reading this thread with fascination, Well done to you, you are a very good craftsman and your skill and attention to detail is commendable. I to am an engineer an have built my own punt 24' long x 4' beam and two guns 16oz 1-1/4 24oz 1-5/8.Like mudpattern you have done some things different to me but all power to you, by the time you have made you fourth or fith punt and gun you will be getting some were near what you think you need.

Well done

HB.

Thanks for the comments.

Having spoken to various punt gunners, everyone has their own preferences and so many contradict one another on the intricacies of various set ups, I took the best points of each and obviously weighted my decision to people I respect the most... I'm positive I will change things on future versions but for now I'll see how I get on.

Good for you wildfowler that's as it should be, I have to say your boat and gun are almost identical to my first punt and gun that I built over 25 years ago, did you use a 32mm cold drawn seamless tube for your barrel? How much spring and kammel did you put in your punt? Sorry if I seem to be asking a lot of questions its just the similarity's between us 25 years apart is uncanny.

HB.

Edited by House Boat

:lol: I hadn't mentioned the PGR, but yes, I'm about to see to that any time now. I have the relevant details already through my friend but many thanks for the offer HB.

I do enough 'presentations' at work, I certainly don't want to do it in my free time! ;)

Edited by Wildfowler

I know PA and JN very well and have been afloat with both in hamford and here on the Wash.

If mudpattern offers you membership of the IPA turn him down!!!!! :lol::lol:

I look forward to meeting you, maybe in theTrevor arms next May!!

HB.

I've known JN for a long time... I went to school with his son. We have an outing planned late October, November time with his BIG gun...

I believe PA has sold his setup now...?