CZ 452 or 455 Thumbhole?

lewis2012

Hi all im stuck between these 2 for choice i know the 452 has good reviews but the 455 in thumbhole looks sweet + feels it.

What to do? As you can pick up a nice 2nd hand 452 with scopes + mod etc for around £300ish! Or do i go all out and get a 455 thumbhole ( New ) with x56 or x60 scopes + moderator and thatll set me back around £600. Also if thats the case then i will be selling my 12Gauge Benelli Super Nova 3.5“ Magnum Pump Action in Max 4 camo ( 8weeks old from new ) fired around 300 carts. Do these have much sought after on here?

Thanks all

Lewis

Edited by lewis2012

what calibre you talking about mate,ive got both,the 455 in .17hmr brilliant gun,and a 452 in .22lr,and this is a cracking gun too...DAZ

Sorry mate in 17 HMR how do you find the 455? When i held the thumbhole stock it just felt heavy and just right upon shouldering it.

i have a 455 thumbhole in both 17hmr and 22lr and i think they are both just as good as my 452 varmint (i like cz) If i had to say which one i like the most i would say the 455 hmr it is amazing. But what ever you buy make shure it is 16inches not 21inches as the 21inch will just get in the way especially when hunting :shoot:

There is an excellent in depth article on the differences between the 455 and 452 here http://www.czfirearm...p?topic=32042.0 :good:

The review covers a .22LR but they are otherwise the same.

I shoot a 452 thumbhole, lovely gun. Given the choice of a 452 or 455 at the same price I would probably get the 455, simply as it's more flexible if ever I went mad and wanted to change calibres, with it's interchangable barrel feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-eHWcvT8NA.

However, if you can find yourself a cheap 452 you could land a lovely Boyd's stock of your choice, £120 delivered including customs http://www.boydsguns...or-CZ-s/156.htm the thumbhole stocks on the CZ's are made by Boyd's, if you buy direct you get a choice of colour.

Edited by 1in9

The 455 is a nice gun and in a short varmint format a peach in the balance, the only mechanical difference is the steel action that allows for new barrels, something mainly applicable in the USA were custom .22 barrels are cheap. 452,s have an aluminium type action.

Issue with all thumbholes is they prevent correct and fast bolt manipulation through turning the hand, you end up taking your entire hand away from the gun and grabbing for the bolt handle with a pinch grip. Correct rapid bolt movement involves lifting the trigger fingerto litrally knock the bolt open, then the inner endge of the thumb to close. This cannot be done if your thumb is in a hole at the time as the "brige" prevents the wrist rotating. (its easy to show and teach than to explain though). with pracice you can get second finishing shots or take multiple bunnies almost as fast as a semi auto can

• 4 years later...

Have both in 452 american guise the .17 is for the larger permissions because of the extra noise generated.

The .22 is mostly for the smaller permission which has neighbours that the owner would not like upsetting.

Both very light to carry, the .17 is 16", the .22 being 14" and very useful from inside the cab.

Hi all im stuck between these 2 for choice i know the 452 has good reviews but the 455 in thumbhole looks sweet + feels it.

What to do? As you can pick up a nice 2nd hand 452 with scopes + mod etc for around £300ish! Or do i go all out and get a 455 thumbhole ( New ) with x56 or x60 scopes + moderator and thatll set me back around £600. Also if thats the case then i will be selling my 12Gauge Benelli Super Nova 3.5“ Magnum Pump Action in Max 4 camo ( 8weeks old from new ) fired around 300 carts. Do these have much sought after on here?

Thanks all

Lewis

I'm not following that, do you want/need a shotgun or not?

You will not go wrong with a 452 or a 455!

What exactly do you plan on doing with the rifle that you want a 56x or 60x Mag scope?

The 455 is a nice gun and in a short varmint format a peach in the balance, the only mechanical difference is the steel action that allows for new barrels, something mainly applicable in the USA were custom .22 barrels are cheap. 452,s have an aluminium type action.

Issue with all thumbholes is they prevent correct and fast bolt manipulation through turning the hand, you end up taking your entire hand away from the gun and grabbing for the bolt handle with a pinch grip. Correct rapid bolt movement involves lifting the trigger fingerto litrally knock the bolt open, then the inner endge of the thumb to close. This cannot be done if your thumb is in a hole at the time as the "brige" prevents the wrist rotating. (its easy to show and teach than to explain though). with pracice you can get second finishing shots or take multiple bunnies almost as fast as a semi auto can

Kent you are not even close mechanically the are a lot different the 455 is a cheap version of the 452.Not the same. Not even close.

The main difference between the 452 and 455 is the lack of a opposing locking lug on the bolt in the 455. The 455 has only the bolt handle root to hold the bolt in place where the 452 had an opposing lug as well. This allows CZ to skip some expensive machining on the bolt handle and the receiver. It's a bit of slight of hand: pointing out the bling improvements while ignoring the vast cheapening of the action.Not my words but true

Edited by geordieh

Thanks all

Lewis

452, better gun.

You can always upgrade the stock later if you want.