All time Favourite Cartridge?

Yoggy

A couple of mates and myself were discussing this a few days ago........Just thought it would be interesting to hear what yours were.

For me personally after careful thought, I opted for what was for me an all round cartridge that would bring down both Duck and Geese..........The Victory Mini Mag!!!!......Outstanding cartridge, It was both fast and hard hitting with an excellent pattern spread. Oh, they were the days!!!!!!!!! :good:

A couple of mates and myself were discussing this a few days ago........Just thought it would be interesting to hear what yours were.

For me personally after careful thought, I opted for what was for me an all round cartridge that would bring down both Duck and Geese..........The Victory Mini Mag!!!!......Outstanding cartridge, It was both fast and hard hitting with an excellent pattern spread. Oh, they were the days!!!!!!!!! :good:

I still use them! GREAT CARTRIDGE! :good The great thing of scottish inland wildfowling LEAD :D I also use Hull Hulmax 34g and special pigeon 32g both really really hard hitting cartridge :)

Just wanted to add to the list of all time favourite cartridge for the geese, mine has to be winchester xx magnum 3 inch 17/8 oz. BB's 2's and 4's copper plated lead unbelievable stopping power and the same loads in 3 1/2 inch for the 10's when on the foreshore when you could shoot lead of course! but winchester stopped producing them shortly after the lead ban, I have been told though that winchester do a similar cartridge in a turkey load I think, at least we can still use what we have left inland in scotland.

Its all based on nostalgia but I used to shoot 3 types which became favourites;

Eley Grand Prix 5's - paper cases

Hymax 5's - a great crow leveller

Finally the slow burning 'magnum' cartridge for non magnum guns from Eley whose name escapes me -age, of course.

All have stories attached but most of all at least one great shot !

I still use them! GREAT CARTRIDGE! :good The great thing of scottish inland wildfowling LEAD :D I also use Hull Hulmax 34g and special pigeon 32g both really really hard hitting cartridge :)

Hull special pigeon 32g are an awesome load I love 'em, unfortunately much of my non 'fowling shooting is now fibre wad only and the last time at the gun shop they wanted £6+ a box :(

• 2 weeks later...

Its all based on nostalgia but I used to shoot 3 types which became favourites;

Eley Grand Prix 5's - paper cases

Hymax 5's - a great crow leveller

Finally the slow burning 'magnum' cartridge for non magnum guns from Eley whose name escapes me -age, of course.

All have stories attached but most of all at least one great shot !

Funny that I just found 4 boxes of Eley GP 5's papercased jobbies in the back of the garage this week!

Fav cart for me for pigeons and crows was the Winchester Ranger 32g 6's. Years ago we used Record 7's my god I've shot thousands of those at pigeons .

Fav Wildfowling cart was (before steel) alphamax on duck - four or five shots with those and you had a dammed good headache. Geese were a federal cart local shop used to get them in, BB I think 70mm and you always knew a day or two after shooting them what you had done, I used to asked regular at school if I'd been in a fight (jaw was always brused lol)

Using some Solway steel now on the ducks, the new 10b will eat federal steel (then Blis reloaded)

T

Good post like this -

Its a shame I cant find any Federal Steel cartridges local to me.

I`ve been reading a few reports on them and virtually all who use them give them the big thumbs up.

With the vast majority of Wildfowlers opting to use steel it amazes me the lack of choice we have.

I really like the Remington Sportsman and Nitro steel but they`re hard to get hold of. So basically in my local gunshop its either Gamebore/Express or nothing. Gamebore are very good, not keen on the Express, so that doesn`t leave me with much choice unless I`m prepared to travel. :no:

Its a shame I cant find any Federal Steel cartridges local to me.

I`ve been reading a few reports on them and virtually all who use them give them the big thumbs up.

With the vast majority of Wildfowlers opting to use steel it amazes me the lack of choice we have.

I really like the Remington Sportsman and Nitro steel but they`re hard to get hold of. So basically in my local gunshop its either Gamebore/Express or nothing. Gamebore are very good, not keen on the Express, so that doesn`t leave me with much choice unless I`m prepared to travel. :no:

A mate of mine was in Fenland Rural Sports a couple of weeks ago, he recons they had just got a whole load of Remington Steel cartridges in! I havent had the chance to check yet myself thought!

Winchester XX 1 1/4 oz in No 4's, Winchester SuperSpeeds also in a 4 and Winchester Super XX Copper plated buffered No2's. Were punchy and effective pre-lead ban nonsense.

I also used Eleys Alphamax and Semi-magnum and Magnums in 1's and 3's for inland geese.

Preffered them to the non toxic alternatives. I still have boxes of all of these but now they are purely for large vermin.