BUILD the ultimate .17HMR?.......!

Bigamos

You cant get consistency with an HMR so building a custon one would be pointless. I did a semi custom job on my old Marlin 917VS and I have done the same with my cz452 in .22 by getting a Boyds thumbhole stock, tuning the trigger, and bedding the action. Next is a 14.5" barrell chop. Good scope on the top and you are away with a very nice rifle. Cost me in total about £700.

You cant get consistency with an HMR so building a custon one would be pointless. I did a semi custom job on my old Marlin 917VS and I have done the same with my cz452 in .22 by getting a Boyds thumbhole stock, tuning the trigger, and bedding the action. Next is a 14.5" barrell chop. Good scope on the top and you are away with a very nice rifle. Cost me in total about £700.

What mods did you do to the marlin? All ive done to mine at the moment is barrel chopped to 18" and a custom made mod for now.

I bought a Boyds Tacticool black stock for it (very nice) I inletted the action. Polished the trigger and sear for a cleaner/crisp break, however if you yanked the bolt back quickly sometimes it would come out of the back, but only if you where rough with it. I put a DM80 mod on it and re polished the crown.

isnt that a bit like the ultimate citroen saxo?

Thats abit unfair. I'm no expert, but i can't remenber the last round in recent history thats made such an impression. Maybe i'm wrong??

Also, why is there such an inconsistancy with the ammo??

I ask, as with abit of luck my fac will come through soon after my visit from the feo today, and i've requested .22 and .17 rimfire and a .204 cf.

its not really inconsistent but its miles from being able to reload to find the most accurate round as per a centerfire. You can get them to group within an inch but thats pretty much it.

My marlin will group (5shots) half inch at 100yards with remington 17gr v-max and better if it was someone else behind the trigger. I'm happy with that for such a small diameter bullet since its used purely for hunting.

Really short of calling someone's bluff but seeing a few half inch 5 shot groups would be impressive. It's one thing claiming it but doing it is impressive as never seen anyone do it, the ammo is pretty well regarded round the world as not that accurate. Even factory centre fire ammo rarely does it.

Really short of calling someone's bluff but seeing a few half inch 5 shot groups would be impressive. It's one thing claiming it but doing it is impressive as never seen anyone do it, the ammo is pretty well regarded round the world as not that accurate. Even factory centre fire ammo rarely does it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=217546&stc=1&d=1345317313

This one is just ever so slightly over half an inch.

Ye must have **** ammo in the UK if you think that because reloading is illegal over here and lads can group well under half inch and quarter inch consistently with factory ammo with CF rifles.

In my defence you didn't state what range ;)

Theres always our own Frenchieboy to convince you :yes: He says its an inch coin at over 100yds so he must be dam close to 1/2 an inch at 100. Unless of course you don't believe him :o

I have a picure of a 5 shot group of 5/8" three of those (the first three fired) actually intersect each other> it was fired at 135 yds and only done to show the smith who was selling it for me it shot well the morning i was taking it in if i remember. Thats a std CZ varmint with std trigger. I wouldn't buy another though and certainly any custom will not gain accuraccy. the issue with the HMR is more reading the wind than the ammo. I should totally expect regular single raggy holes if i ever got nil wind conditions at such short ranges as 100yds. For me personally its no contest against a true small centrefire due to increased ranges and far less wind errors

Wait for 17 Hornet, once that gets established which it will gun shop shelves will be groaning under weight of trade in 17HMRs.

A

Its sort of happening now 3-4yrs back they hardly ever came up. I am not too sure the .17 hornet will be a resounding sucess because many will equate it to the HMR even though its a different animal

It would be fun to make some HMR-sized centre primed cases, maybe to take small pistol primers, then move the firing pin to the centre and experiment with your own one-off custom calibre.

I understand the pressure in HMR is limited by the relatively weak rim of the case, a centrefire case would have a solid rim, so if the primer was strong enough you might be able to crank up the speed a bit.

There would be no practical advantage over bigger .17s, but it would be an interesting project.