Walking boots

Tim Kelly

I'd really like to get some walking boots that are actually waterproof. I've had all sorts of boots and other items of clothing that claimed to be waterproof, but after a very short period of use have leaked and boots have been the worst offenders. The last pair I had which were supposed to be the latest and greatest technology are still waterproof if you stand in a puddle, but show them a field of dew soaked grass and your feet will be drenched in a few yards.

Any recomendations of things thatvactually work and continue to work? I don't really want massively high boots like the Meindl Dovre extreme type, but good boots that go above the ankle and are waterproof!

Dubbin isn't great on modern boots, it rots the stitching and clogs the breathable pores in the goretex. Any modern leather goretex walking boots from a good maker should be 100% waterproof. My last ones were made by Zamberlan, the soles wore out but they were still perfectly waterproof. Currently using Scarpas and they are as dry as a bone.

The soles and membrane has worn out on my lowas i use gwax on mine. Only said dubbin because couldnt rember,had to check. Had soloman goretex or simular before and the sude cracked on the outer and soles wore out in about 18month of hard use. use harkila gtx for shooting and stuff and lowa for hard walking.

Edited by Albert 888

I have to wear my sealskinz socks to keep dry feet at the moment, but it seems a bad fix for a problem all the manufacturers claim to have beaten! I suppose I want walking boots really. Hunting boots tend to be taller from what I can see. It's very difficult to find somewhere that has a good range where you can compare properly. Not heard of Lowa boots before. Have to google them, thanks.

I have meindl Burma pro and Lowa mountain boots. Both leak. They went where the sole joins the boot at the toe. Very comfy boots though and I do give them some stick.

If you are just walking on paths and trails then I recommend Meindl Vakuum MFS.

They are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn but the leather is quite soft and you wouldn't want to use them for shooting. They are also about £180-£190.

Harry

Edited by Dirty Harry

I tend to think the guys who say their boots leak are the guys that actually use them in damp places. No offence to those who haven't had problems, but it does seem to me that goretex and similar substances are good when brand new, but soon fail. Same with coats. I would be hugely miffed if I bought a £200 pair of boots and they were leaking after a few months.

I have meindl Burma pro and Lowa mountain boots. Both leak. They went where the sole joins the boot at the toe. Very comfy boots though and I do give them some stick.

Harry

I have the same boots. The lowas lasted a good 10 years and never leaked, they were worn nearly every day.

Had the Burma pro's nearly 3 years now, they have been excellent so far.

Look after your boots, and your boots will look after you..........

I have the same boots. The lowas lasted a good 10 years and never leaked, they were worn nearly every day.

Had the Burma pro's nearly 3 years now, they have been excellent so far.

Look after your boots, and your boots will look after you..........

I have worn Lowas every working day for the last 8 years. When the first pair split along the toe/sole joint I got another pair because they are so comfortable. The rest of the boot was fine so it's not a case of not looking after them.

The meindls started to leak after 2 years in the same place. They were cleaned regular and treated with good stuff. I recently got them back from Meindl after having them repaired (free) and they are good as new and waterproof. The leather looks abused as they have a hard life shooting so they are covered in scratches but that part never failed.

I look after the boots but they get well used.

Harry

I have worn Lowas every working day for the last 8 years. When the first pair split along the toe/sole joint I got another pair because they are so comfortable. The rest of the boot was fine so it's not a case of not looking after them.

The meindls started to leak after 2 years in the same place. They were cleaned regular and treated with good stuff. I recently got them back from Meindl after having them repaired (free) and they are good as new and waterproof. The leather looks abused as they have a hard life shooting so they are covered in scratches but that part never failed.

I look after the boots but they get well used.

Harry

Sorry, the "look after your boots" comment wasn't aimed at you, nor was I implying you didn't look after them.

Tend to find some people water proof boot leak because they are walking through wet grass etc the bottom of their trousers get wet this soaks into the top of their sock the migrates into the boots. If your walking in long grass heather etc wear gaiters you'll stay drier.

I was lucky enough to be invited for a days walked up grouse last November (second time ever, the first was 25 years ago!). Fantastic day, but my feet have never been wetter than after the day ploughing through the heather, in gaiters and my "waterproof" leather boots. If you google wet grass and leather boots you'll find it is apparently a common Achilles heel of leather boots that are otherwise dry.

Ifcarlsbergdid_edited-1.jpg

I wear yeti gaiters over mine and not had an issue I wear them regularly not just for shooting and tend to only get wet feet when the water goes over the top.

I think yetis help as they double the cover over the welt which is the weakest point. That and aqueous nikwax keep my feet dry.

Altbergs are expensive but I've not had any major problems with my pairs. I will be getting 2 more pairs soon when the army goes to brown boots.

+ another for Lowa, + another for Altberg ; both of these from your local or on-line army surplus, miles better value than the shooting trade.

Last winter I bought a pair of Karrimor (Sportsdirect or Field&trek) Snow Fur Walking boot, to use as a yard boot, waterproof, insulated, good footbed and sole, £18.98 delivered, not for the brand snobs but you could buy 10 pairs of these for less than the cost of a pair of fashion-hunting boots e.g. Beretta or Le Chameau both of which squeak like *******.

William Lennon make some interesting boots but they squeak & leak despite the high price,.

Harkila GTX are quite waterproof despite the average quality footbed but put Nikwax on them and they'll squeak too.

Meindl Burma pro, look after them with a good waterproofing cream from day one and they will last for years, chuck them next to the radiator without any attention they will crack and leak. Best 125 quids worth from SD, resole if you wear them through 65 quid in Burnley. Like a pair of slippers after 12 hours if looked after.

Dubbin isn't great on modern boots, it rots the stitching and clogs the breathable pores in the goretex. Any modern leather goretex walking boots from a good maker should be 100% waterproof. My last ones were made by Zamberlan, the soles wore out but they were still perfectly waterproof. Currently using Scarpas and they are as dry as a bone.

+1 for scarpa had them now for over 30 yrs,i cant fault them, they lasted 10 years plus.So on my 3rd pair. Why mention waterproof socks ??? If the boots are waterproof no need for waterproof socks is there ???