Out in the Stubbles

pigeon controller

Started out on Friday at 09.00 with DB and headed out looking for wheat stubble's, picked up on a flightline and followed it for four miles and it lead us to a deep valley with birds coming from all directions to two ten acre bean stubble fields. We have shot this farm in the past so we drove to the farmhouse and asked permission only to be told our regular shooter is coming out this afternoon. Dejected we set off again and covered seventy miles looking, only finding small numbers fliting about. We saw some birds flighting over a high ridge all spooked so we drove up and found the farmer finishing off his wheat. He said he would be finished in half and hour so we set up, this was 14.00 and we shot till 17.00 and picked up ninety four.

Saturday saw us heading for the bean stubble and as we walked up the drive the farmer came out and before we could say anything he said " I've got shooters coming out today" so we politly informed him that we had only come to see him to inform him that we would be shooting the grass field next to the beans which belonged to another Farmer. So we drove down the valley and stood on the edge of the the beans and put a shot up. This lifted a good number of birds and we managed five high birds crossing the grass, as it had been shot the day before ( Allegedly) we waited for them to return after thirty minutes nothing came back. So we got back in to the car and left as we did the bean farmer passed us in the road and blanked us, we popped into the grass field farmer and let him know we were leaving and that we had locked his gate. He told us that the other farmer had come up to check if we had permission? Our farmer had told him that he knew us well and we could go any time.

Anyway we drove round to a field that we had looked at on our way home last night which they were still working with the combine. Its a very difficult field to shoot with a housing estate on one edge,a road on the other and MOD high security fencing and cameras on the other. We set up as there were plenty of birds passing over the field , with all the working going on it was difficult to shoot as we had to wait for them to pick up the bails and finish combining. It was also frustrating when they parked the security vehicle right behind us inside the perimiter fence watching us shoot , with the Land Rover's windscreen flashing in the sun. we shot from 13.30 and finished at 17.30 and picked up two hundred and thirtyone. So a **** start to the day ended with a cracking result.

September2012004.jpg

September2012005.jpg

nice shooting p.c . if you don't mind me asking, do you put your dead birds on cradles on wheat stubble and do you use floaters? i am on some wheat stubble this afternoon which has birds on it. i am using deads as decoys but some of the stubble is 6 to 8 " high. many thanks aga man.

nice shooting p.c . if you don't mind me asking, do you put your dead birds on cradles on wheat stubble and do you use floaters? i am on some wheat stubble this afternoon which has birds on it. i am using deads as decoys but some of the stubble is 6 to 8 " high. many thanks aga man.

I had 15 on cradles and the rest on spikes, I had 6 on floaters from all directions.

Just brilliant, best bags I've seen forever.

You either have unreal amounts of pigeons, or you really, really know your oats mate.

Write a book, I'm surprised none of the on and off line shooting journals haven't sought you out yet.

Top shooting.

Just brilliant, best bags I've seen forever.

You either have unreal amounts of pigeons, or you really, really know your oats mate.

Write a book, I'm surprised none of the on and off line shooting journals haven't sought you out yet.

Top shooting.

There is no doubt that PC knows what he's doing, but he has got lots of farms to shoot on and a massive pigeon population in his area.

Some well good shooting there. I wish there was as many birds around my area. The BEANS on my farms / permisions have NOT as yet been cut but when they are i intend to be there shooting what I am allowed to when it runs out or flys over the top of me then afterwards decoy it and set up a hide. This should be any time from now upto 2 weeks weather depending ect. I hope i get half the bag you have got to have a realy good day.

There is no doubt that PC knows what he's doing, but he has got lots of farms to shoot on and a massive pigeon population in his area.

at the end of the day you ave to know your stuff and be able to shoot very good consistently, fair play to PC he must be able to do both. as both to me are a big thing when pigeon bashing... Edited by simon6ppc