Supermarket Onions - why oh why?

Thunderbird

I find the 3 onions in a diddy orange onion sack are usually OK. Not very often they are not up to standard no matter which supermarket they come from.

Loose, if you know what you are looking at you can leave the bad ones in the shop (for the OP I guess :D)

Actually funny you should say that, I pop into the local Lidl occasionally and the F&V I have picked up there hasn't been too bad actually.

A bloke at our local farmers market sells fifteen onions for a quid, as opposed to the three you get for over a quid at most supermarkets.

why not grow your own :) :)

I get mine from my permissions! Left behind from the sorter. Believe it or not we still have two strings from last year of which most are fine!

Just picked another five shopping bags worth for stringing!

Next free crop is the left behind spuds!

Ps yes I have permission to collect.

Lampwick

By the time they are harvested, transported on a truck, prepared, sorted, washed, packaged, transported on a truck, sorted yet again by various distribution centres, orders picked, transported on another truck, and then you can eventually buy them... They are bound to be past their best!

I get mine from my permissions! Left behind from the sorter. Believe it or not we still have two strings from last year of which most are fine!

Just picked another five shopping bags worth for stringing!

Next free crop is the left behind spuds!

Ps yes I have permission to collect.

Lampwick

Same here, last year I stumbled upon enough to see us through to June.

Note to self: Ask permission before picking farmers crop in future..

Actually funny you should say that, I pop into the local Lidl occasionally and the F&V I have picked up there hasn't been too bad actually.

A bloke at our local farmers market sells fifteen onions for a quid, as opposed to the three you get for over a quid at most supermarkets.

There's a wholesaler off the Westgate road, Newcastle - Mill Lane to be exact, sells a mesh sack of onions for £1.60. There must be 80-100 in there. Also sells crates of limes for £2.50. Proper bargain.

Rotting onions is normally caused due to a lack of hanging time. It is imperative to let onions dry properly. I noticed Morrisons tomato's were frozen the other day?

I find a lot of supermarkets fruin n veg in a bad state now. I will continue to shop at Morrisons as they support british farmers.

• 2 weeks later...