Scottish Independence

dougall

Having watched QT last night from Glasgow there seems little facts but alot of emotion flying around.

Love Scotland,history of entrepreneurs/brilliant scientists,best whiskey/golf courses/countryside in the world but with the the worst Political Leadership anywhere! Salmond is a good politician ,meaning he's a good talker but has he any substance? Nicola Sturgeon would take over if he fell under a bus........boy is she pants.

So all you Scots,on what will you base your vote and decision? What are the true financial implications on which to base a decision?Or will it just be remember Bannockburn and we hate the English??

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argument hasn't been either way for me just now there is just to much emotion and not enough facts but hopefully the arguments will develop over the coming months. I'm as patriotic as the next Scot and would love to be an independent country BUT not just for the sake of it there must be a good sound argument for it. People don't seem to understand the politics of Scotland especially not the London based parties as just because the SNP were voted in doesn't mean that everyone that voted for them automatically agrees with being independent or all their policies they voted them in as they were the ones doing the best job for that person at that time. Should be an interesting debate and hopefully people will consider the evidence and make an informed decision as to what is best for the country but I'm not counting on it.

at least if we got independance we would have a chance of being governed by a political party we accualy voted for, as the saying goes there are more panda's in scotland than tory mp's.enough said. :hmmm:

Aye but no scottish labour lib dem and snp mp,s at westminster =tory government for evermore for rest of uk. Big anniversary for Bannockburn coming in 2014 hence 2014 vote.

I am all for any country that wants to look after its own affairs however would they still take tax money from the rest of the UK??? Would they ever really be independent if they depended on the rest of us for their taxes?? And if we have to pay for there social welfare, nhs etc shouldn't we have a say in how they spend our money??

From the Scottish governments own website:

• Scotlands tax contribution is £53 billion, with a £10 billion deficit, including an imaginary share in north sea oil.
  • Without that, its tax contribution is £46 billion, with an £18 billion deficit.

So best case scenario would force tax up 20% (or an equivalent reduction in costs) or worst case, about 40%!

Now imagine if people from the rest of the UK needed a passport to visit Scotland (tourism hurt) and it lost its defence contracts etc. Scotland's economy isn't that diverse...

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2012/03/9525

the more people say you cannot and never will be independant as you are incapable of governing yourselves the more people vote for it ,if scotland is such a burden on the uk then why the hell are they making such a fuss about our right to govern ourselves , surely they can only prosper if what they say is true ,that scotland is a "hands out nation " . the more they protest the more alex salmond laughs , you are doing the job for him. He is the smartest politician in britain by far and Cameron is useless.

The problem is that the arguments for either side are full of emotion, nationalism from both sides and statistics fixed to prove whatever side of the argument they are on. What we need is some honesty but I woudn't expect that from any of the politicians soon.

Scotland is not financially capable of self Government, not now not ever. It will always have its hand out.

Scotland is not financially capable of self Government, not now not ever. It will always have its hand out.

Spot the troll :)

• Scotlands tax contribution is £53 billion, with a £10 billion deficit, including an imaginary share in north sea oil.
  • Without that, its tax contribution is £46 billion, with an £18 billion deficit.

So best case scenario would force tax up 20% (or an equivalent reduction in costs) or worst case, about 40%!

Now imagine if people from the rest of the UK needed a passport to visit Scotland (tourism hurt) and it lost its defence contracts etc. Scotland's economy isn't that diverse...

http://www.scotland....ns/2012/03/9525

Is this Mikaveliconomics?

At the moment it's a "no" from me and also from 57% of Scots so I think you'll be stuck with us for a while yet....

http://www.scotland....ns/2012/03/9525

Sorry Mikaveli i get a bit brain tied with big numbers does that mean that scotland would be able to support itself???

Is this Mikaveliconomics?

Well, obviously extremely over simplified, but yes. :innocent:

Scotland could support itself, but there'd be some changes - maybe an end to free prescriptions, uni education etc. and less public sector jobs though. So strangely, independence would make Scotland more like England. :ninja:

Personally, I think the balance is quite good as it is. Holyrood has a lot of power and Scotland has lots of it's own distinct laws and policies. How's Salmond going to look when he doesn't have Westminster to blame for all his woes?

----

PS If it does get independence, would that make me mixed race?

The problem is that the arguments for either side are full of emotion, nationalism from both sides and statistics fixed to prove whatever side of the argument they are on. What we need is some honesty but I woudn't expect that from any of the politicians soon.

Exactly. Depending on your bias, Scotland has either been subsidising the rest of the UK for years, or would be unable to survive without money from Westminster. It's going to be very difficult to see the real facts through the spin.

in an independant scotland we could have labour ,tory ,libs or national party governing us ,depending on what the nation voted , if the country becomes independant at some point elections will begin and every party will have its chance to win the right to govern.the people would have elected them ,as it stands we are governed from westminster by a party that has little to no backing from scotland , surely this cannot be right .

if the country becomes independant at some point elections will begin and every party will have its chance to win the right to govern.the people would have elected them ,as it stands we are governed from westminster by a party that has little to no backing from scotland , surely this cannot be right .

Why is this not right? It also applies to sections of England with a large % of labour support, and in NI they can't even vote for the Torys or Labour party.

The country's doomed if we 'gain' independence IMHO, it's No from me too.

Nial.

What a numpty comment to make - if you believe that you are as big an idiot as the ultra patriotic lunatics that try to sway the vote by making it tie in with bannockburn and including 16 and 17 year olds...